Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1088492 times)

2014-02-18, 14:27:24
Reply #180

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, since v0.14 does not work with the dailies. You can send me a PM and you'll get a A6/dailies converter version.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-02-18, 14:37:01
Reply #181

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In my work all works in vray Im the pioneer whith Corona, and all days I use this tool to convert my partner's works.

Thanks so much!

2014-02-18, 20:10:12
Reply #182

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I also believe this material convertor is a superbig plus to have for Corona and an absolute must have tool to bring more enthusiasm to new Corona users. I read today that the NOX renderer now also have a script to convert Vray scenes to NOX so I guess a lot more people are also giving that a try. Not me though, I stick to Corona :)

2014-02-18, 21:20:46
Reply #183

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
The problem with converters is that people often use it without knowing the implications of it. You should know how Corona and it's materials work to be able to achieve fast and nice results with (or without) the converter. It's necessary to check the materials after the conversion to make sure everything's fine and doesn't lead to slow renderings. If people don't do that, get bad render times and have the impression that it's a bad renderer then it doesn't really help corona - but if people actually understand how to use it, it may help corona attract more professional users.
I have the impression that there are currently more of the 2nd group than of the 1st group, but actually it's quite hard to tell. I can only say that (at the time of this post) the converter has been downloaded about 6200 times (+ some more when I was not yet counting).
Apart from that I think that it's a very important thing to be able to convert and test scenes you already have when you're trying a new engine. I actually wrote the script to test my cathedral, and that's the reason why I was so impressed from corona - it managed to render a scene which seemed impossible to be rendered in another engine at this time.

2014-02-23, 08:37:17
Reply #184

jjduncs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • thevisualworkshop
Just wondering how to deal with Laubwerk trees material conversion.
They crash max when you try and convert the vray mats they create. If you import tree with A+D shader then it renders but ot very well and it also crashes when trying to convert. Obviously they are linked to the pluggin even after creation or something.

Do you have to convert the tree to mesh/proxy and then convert their material or can you do it some other way that maintains the laubwerk modifier control over viewport performance, detail etc  (which would be ideal).

2014-02-23, 10:21:27
Reply #185

gabrielefx

• Active Users
    • View Profile
is it possible to add vray lights conversion?

for example from legacy Max vrayshadow ies to Corona ies,

and ies vraylight to Corona ies.

regards

2014-02-23, 12:26:44
Reply #186

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Just wondering how to deal with Laubwerk trees material conversion.
They crash max when you try and convert the vray mats they create.
I have installed the free sample demo from their website to test it.
It works fine here. You may have to wait some seconds for conversion (every tree takes a while) which seems to be caused by their questionable multi/sub-object material setup which includes a material at id 1000 - and that causes the multimaterial to expand to 1000 submaterials (in my case 985 empty slots) when converted - where I will have to check if I can change that. You can set back the count to x and it looks like before with Corona mtls (see screenshot).
Are you sure it crashes max or does is just take very long? Check your taskmanager if max is still calculating.

Btw, little offtopic but I don't seem to understand this product. My laubwerk tree looks really ugly, is that normal (other attachment)?

is it possible to add vray lights conversion?
There is a lights conversion script in the same category here in the forums. I don't know how good it works or how up-to-date it is, but afaik it should do exactly that.

2014-02-23, 14:13:52
Reply #187

jjduncs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • thevisualworkshop
Hmm, I'll have another go.
Did you keep the Laubwerk tree as a laubwerk tree or convert it to editable mesh before converting?
It worked for me once i converted to tree to a mesh (and had 999 multi/subs!), but when i tried to convert it when it was still a laubwerk thing it crashed.

Trying again now.

And yes, the trees do seem ugly so far, but  think the opacity maps arent working for me at the moment.

2014-02-23, 14:33:32
Reply #188

jjduncs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • thevisualworkshop

It worked converting the material on the Laubwerk object this time around. Even works changing the seasons.

Only thing that is an issue is the opacity maps. They wouldn't work as bitmaps running straight into the opacity slot, i had to run them through a CoronaMapOutput before they worked. Odd.

Also, adding some reflectivity and bump to these mats seem to make the trees look a lot nicer (especially once the opacity map starts working! hah)

Thanks for your help!

2014-02-23, 14:38:24
Reply #189

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I was just typing an answer to your previous question.. ;)
Anyways, glad it works now. About the opacity maps: I didn't look any further into the materials so I've no idea what it could be (and I already uninstalled this plugin ;) )
What I meant with "ugly" was the trunk geometry - that's really surprisingly bad, especially at the root.

2014-02-23, 16:02:34
Reply #190

jjduncs

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • thevisualworkshop
Yeah that screenshot you posted of that trunk earlier was horrible. Just a bunch of intersecting cylinders!

Anyway, thanks again.

2014-02-25, 21:26:05
Reply #191

ardiarqui

• Users
    • View Profile
downloading, thank you, greetings

2014-02-27, 23:37:22
Reply #192

MPVIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MPVIS
Is it normal to get 1cm distance value in absorption every time I convert Vray materials? Should I leave it like that or change this value back to 0?

2014-02-28, 00:37:07
Reply #193

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
It should not matter if the absorption color is white - but I fixed it anyways ;). Now, if Vray's fog color is white no absorption values are converted. And btw, I fixed the multiplier -> distance conversion too. Now it's calculated inverse which seems to be more or less right.
Fixes will be available in the next version, thanks for reporting :)

2014-02-28, 00:58:12
Reply #194

MPVIS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • MPVIS
OK thanks. Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes converter sets reflection IOR value very high like 999 and reflection color to pure black but it should be a little reflective like mid grey ior 1.6 or something.