Author Topic: Resume render file  (Read 9368 times)

2013-01-18, 05:25:03

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Hi, i have a suggestion about a nice feature like in maxwell render :  the mxi file is great to use later to resume the render at a certain time, so you can add more quality whenever you want without restart the render.

A resume file for corona will be a great thing if possible.

2013-01-18, 11:37:49
Reply #1

Oltskul

• Active Users
  • "Whoa, that is lot of boxes!" Adam West
    • View Profile
This would be very very awesome! Not event great, but also grand, large maybe...

Anyway bit ontopic-ish OT, when i was rendering visualisation (http://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,336.0.html) on my friends computer, he suggested one thing.

Quote from: Friend of my
Why not move (on demand!) VBF from RAM to HDD?

Backstory is that, he had to buy an additional RAM (from 6GB to 16GB), beacuse of the very HiRes render (6k x 6k), which has taken around 10GB of RAM.

I could not give him straight answer. So I gave him quite s***ty answer. "I do not know, I cannot give you propper answer, maybe it could be possible, maby not. Perhaps it is possible, but the disk acces time could be MASSIVELY TERRIBLE, so it would be unusable.. Unles you buy TurboUltraRAID321tm. Which cost more than new computer with 96GB RAM"

With moving VBF from RAM to HDD, you may render very very large images in cost of speed. Or at the massive cost of speed? (main issue is writing massive nuber of small data, right?)

- So I am asking you folks, is this even possible? Since geometry is in RAM, GI sollution could be cached on disk and light ray exist only for brief moment right?

Corona is like some king of addictive game... "Just one... More... Render... Before... Then i will do something... Useful"

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2013-01-18, 11:53:27
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Quote from: Oltskul's friend
Why not move (on demand!) VBF from RAM to HDD?

Because you need to access it 10 000 - 1 000 000 times per second in random order to write new pixels.

But it would be viable with some optimizations (bucket rendering)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-01-18, 12:05:24
Reply #3

Oltskul

• Active Users
  • "Whoa, that is lot of boxes!" Adam West
    • View Profile
ok, fair enough:) Now chop chop and make "Resume render file" :) JK
Corona is like some king of addictive game... "Just one... More... Render... Before... Then i will do something... Useful"

HALT!Ausnahmezeit

2013-01-19, 18:17:14
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
How about using flash memory (like 32gb sd cards or similar) instead of ram or together with ram?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-03-12, 01:20:11
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I'll remove it here, it is already in Mantis
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)