Author Topic: Caustics flickering in animation  (Read 4002 times)

2020-12-03, 08:59:13

TYCHE

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Guys, for a new project im testing animated caustics right now and i'm actually very impressed and happy with first rnd results.

What i noticed, is a slight light flickering under the surface? Has anybody noticed that?

I've tried to switch from PathTracing+UHDCache to both Path Tracing and increasing the PassLimit, but i still got this flickering?
Thanks in Advance!

« Last Edit: 2020-12-04, 14:32:20 by TYCHE »

2021-02-04, 12:46:52
Reply #1

toupan

• Users
    • View Profile
Up !

I have many flickering problems too with Corona Caustics.
Is there any solution? Unit cm/cm can be a problem for exemple ?

2021-02-04, 15:10:34
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi @TYCHE and @toupan!
We are extremely interested in these kinds of scenes with flickering caustics. Could you please send us an example scene like this? It can be a production scene, or if you are not allowed to share it, or just don't want to, you can try preproducing the same issue in a simpler scene, or remove some parts of your scene while keeping the issue visible. This would be highly appreciated!

We should also be able to provide you with a workaround, which worked in similar cases, but to verify this, we first need a scene where this can be replicated.

You can use the uploader in my signature and after the successful upload, let me know what was your file name.

Thank you in advance.

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-02-04, 17:49:36
Reply #3

toupan

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks you so much Maru.

I prepare a simple scene actually and a video, i ll send to you tomorrow cause that make me crazy lol ^^ i definitly love corona render since four years and i really want to do all my caustik animations jobs with it.

See u soon so.

2021-02-04, 17:56:48
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot! I'll be waiting for the files.

2021-02-08, 11:20:17
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Toupan, any news here? Did you upload some scene for us to investigate? If so, which method did you use and what was your file name?
Thanks!

2021-09-24, 13:33:34
Reply #6

TYCHE

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any news on this topic? I can't upload my scene because i'm not allowed to but still having this issue.

Thanks!

2021-09-24, 14:01:55
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We can sign an NDA if you wish. Or maybe you could simplify the scene? (remove 90% of objects and share this version with us)

2022-06-24, 09:32:50
Reply #8

Magdalena

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello!

I have the same problem - flickering caustics in my animation. I've attached avi file to this post. Could you please help me with that? I also tried increasing number of passes, but it doesn't work. I can send you my scene if you wish (can you tell me how to do it, please?). I will name it "Animated flamingo scene"
Thank you in advance
« Last Edit: 2022-06-24, 09:38:44 by Magdalena »

2022-06-24, 11:26:41
Reply #9

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello!

I have the same problem - flickering caustics in my animation. I've attached avi file to this post. Could you please help me with that? I also tried increasing number of passes, but it doesn't work. I can send you my scene if you wish (can you tell me how to do it, please?). I will name it "Animated flamingo scene"
Thank you in advance

Please contact us here about your issue: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
You can attach your files when submitting the ticket, or you can skip this and we will ask you to attach it later.

2022-08-18, 18:32:23
Reply #10

adrien

• Users
    • View Profile
Hello !
I have the same problem, my water with caustics is flickering in animation...
Someone resolved the problem ?
Thank you in advance.

2022-08-25, 13:45:37
Reply #11

NazarVitkovskyi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello, generally caustic in animation should work fine, but depending on the complexity of the scene, movement, etc. can be some issues like flickering.
If you are using displacement on the water in the pool - you can change the displacement settings from Screen Size to World Size ( Performance Tab). Also as a workaround - enable the Caustic Solver, change it to include and add the pool.

Another solution you can try is to increase the caustic's quality:
1) Enable the devel/to debug mode - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4528523195537-How-to-enable-the-Development-Experimental-stuff-rollout-
2) Then go to Performance > Caustics solver settings and increase "Max photons" from the default value of 5 000 to a higher one - for example 15 000.

I would not recommend using more than 50 000 because you may easily run out of RAM, which can even result in crashing.

« Last Edit: 2022-08-25, 14:21:48 by NazarVitkovskyi »