Author Topic: advice - assistance - help  (Read 3826 times)

2015-11-15, 11:50:17

Dervish

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

Need some advice regarding time frames.

A client has asked me to produce internal shots, but with custom assets, which I cannot find in model libraries to purchase. They range from complex to simple and I have already spent half a day on one product and a lamp that has almost taken day. I take short cuts when I can etc. From experience how long do you guys think a project like this should take?

I also had to build the interior too.

Thanks

2015-11-15, 18:10:31
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
No one can tell but the math is pretty easy to figure out. You already found out that bespoke asset can take whole day per person, so now you just multiply that by amount of bespoke assets. (and alternatively divide by amount of people you have or can contract for short time)

The best part.... ? Your client can refuse the look of final bespoke asset and ask for another one ;- ).

Solution:

You never allow for infinite amount of bespoke assets per project and account separate pricing (and timeframe) for them. Yes I know there are companies who will build everything from scratch for default price but the joke is on their business strategy..
You should always know how much time and money it will take you to finish project upfront, write that down into contract and only once signed, continue. And don't do a single pixel differently from what is written there.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-11-16, 11:02:27
Reply #2

Freakaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Website

The best part.... ? Your client can refuse the look of final bespoke asset and ask for another one ;- ).

I just love those "OK, but now let's try another chair" comments. I always want to answer them: "Sure, just let me grab my shotgun and I'll come to your office to reconsider that"  Sadly sometimes the works with unlimited amount of fixes occurs and you can not just refuse the work as losing client is not such a small thing for beginner freelancers with small client base. 

For the faster modeling I've recently started to modify the assets that are similar to the product needed. For example if I need a specific sofa sometimes it is faster to find similar sofa elements on 3dsky (cushions/ seats etc.) from couple of models and combine them together to build what you need using simple 3ds max modifiers. The same goes for most of the furnishings as long as it is not very complicated. It makes modeling workflow way faster (of course if you won't be giving the models to third parties as it would be a copyright violation).   

2015-11-16, 13:34:34
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You will not loose client because of refusing unlimited changes. Clients aren't doing this out of malice, they're simply clueless of the process and consequences to 3D scope of work and inexperienced visualizers often don't expect this issue to take occurence.
You can perfectly educate your client, even mid-process although that can be conflicting experience for both parties, it's still better than to endure endless project and strong loss of income.

But + to "kit-bashing" models from other models :- ) Definitely works for sofas well. Not so much for fancy vases and decoration :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-11-18, 23:16:49
Reply #4

Dervish

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the advice.

I was trying to compare in terms of speed, but i realised i was not really specific, although I had to build about 10 pieces, which were then changed mid way. I am quite fast, as they do not require super realism, although it sucks doing poor models once one is accustom to doing 80% detailed models.

I think the difficult aspect is trying to educate them in how long something takes, including re-rendering because the material color used, makes the whole thing look terrible, which somehow they think its the rendered images fault.

I suppose there isnt a concrete answer, it could be a week to two weeks.

Here is a good comment, what are you doing just sitting there , I am rendering........

2015-11-19, 20:40:47
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
which somehow they think its the rendered images fault.

This is a never ending battle :- )

I stress the color reproduction before project, in almost every email with preview, before finals, together with finals and I have BIG section in contract regarding colors.

2015-11-19, 22:27:41
Reply #6

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
It is very very complicated question.

It all depends on amout of modeling an dificulty of modeling and texturing. There is a number of things that just can not be modeld quickly for example clasical (barocco) furniture. Sometimes it happens that guys in our company spend a half of a day on a single model wich most probably will be removed with a next set of corrections.

There is a way to deal with this by agreeng with client for limited number of corrections per projekt but it does not work out in 100% cases.

About the timing limitations 1-1.5 week should be more than enough for the interior projekt with 10-20 models to model.
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"