Author Topic: Why is Corona Blender exporter developed by community, not by us  (Read 56647 times)

2013-09-11, 20:05:08
Reply #15

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
there are about 5 people that started an exporter at some point in the past ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-09-30, 14:43:00
Reply #16

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
kinda relevant :D

Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-11-20, 19:18:39
Reply #17

afecelis

• Users
    • View Profile
And, why is Octane Render for Blender (commercial product) released today if Blender is covered by GPL licence? ?? O_O

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r2o2zOducc

Indeed, and Indigo, and Thea, and Vray. It's impossible to get commercial-quality stuff into Blender, huh?

2015-11-21, 16:23:57
Reply #18

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Get the facts straight.
Blender for Octane is GPL... Octane Stand Alone is commercial product
Blender for VRay is GPL... VRay Stand Alone is commercial product.
Blender is GPL... Indigo, Thea, PRMan, Maxwell... are supported via exporters (python code, GPL). As Corona is!
« Last Edit: 2015-11-21, 16:28:12 by burnin »

2017-11-30, 14:29:54
Reply #19

MannaTheBerserk

• Users
    • View Profile
And, why is Octane Render for Blender (commercial product) released today if Blender is covered by GPL licence? ?? O_O

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r2o2zOducc

Indeed, and Indigo, and Thea, and Vray. It's impossible to get commercial-quality stuff into Blender, huh?

V-Ray for Blender does not give you access to RT, because of the GPL license. So you get a watered down version of VRay plugin compared to the other software.
Octane plugin is open source, that's why you get it working, but Octane Standalone, which is of course independent from your software, is not. That's why you get the plugin working (by the way, it doesn't work if you don't have the standalone).

I am pretty sure that the others, Indigo and Thea, have similar properties (either the plugin is open source, or something combined like Octane).

So there you have it.

Blender GPL license is your handbrake here.

2018-01-16, 03:55:48
Reply #20

christo9273

• Users
    • View Profile
Ok i'm gonna buy/subscribe windows 10, and 3dsmax 2017 for all my ten machines, or perhaps exchanging them for macs, and I'll buy corona after if I have something left. Thank you!

2018-11-14, 22:51:15
Reply #21

beep

• Users
    • View Profile
Octane plugin is open source, that's why you get it working, but Octane Standalone, which is of course independent from your software, is not. That's why you get the plugin working (by the way, it doesn't work if you don't have the standalone).

I am pretty sure that the others, Indigo and Thea, have similar properties (either the plugin is open source, or something combined like Octane).

So there you have it.

Blender GPL license is your handbrake here.

Well, the Otoy's Blender version is open source. The Octane engine is not Open Source as it is sold as separate Server application that connects to that special version of Blender.
So there is possibility to use a commercial render engine in Blender that works as a local server application that sends back and forth the information to Blender.

2019-04-20, 11:35:05
Reply #22

Naxos

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello there,

I read the reasons why Corona would not be available for Blender, and i can understand those ones.

This morning though i've found infos about BoxCutter, a Blender plugin that is not free.
So maybe the new Blender's policy could allow 3rd party plugins to be paid ones ?
Maybe you do need to propose a free version that could be very simple, and a pay version with all advanced stuff in it ?

Pleas have a look at boxCutter for Blender 2.8, and if there is any chance to get Corona renderer for Blender, i'll trun myself from 3dsmax to Blender, without any second doubd.

Regards.

2019-04-20, 11:37:55
Reply #23

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-04-20, 11:41:13
Reply #24

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-04-20, 13:41:37
Reply #25

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The licensing limitation is usually circumvented by splitting the plugin into the free and commercial part. The free part just by itself is useless, and need the commercial part.

THat being said, the blender community is willing to develop the free part, so we are happy to supply the commercial part, to have blender rendering solution in form of exporter + standalone.

2019-04-20, 15:17:22
Reply #26

Sanekum

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The licensing limitation is usually circumvented by splitting the plugin into the free and commercial part. The free part just by itself is useless, and need the commercial part.

THat being said, the blender community is willing to develop the free part, so we are happy to supply the commercial part, to have blender rendering solution in form of exporter + standalone.

For now Blender+Standalone 3 is in very good shape thanks to Corona team and  blanchg
Distance Map is not functuonal this is sad and couple other bugs

For the future we pray for the 2.80 and IPR render (and rewritten Standlaone I guess)

2019-04-20, 18:23:33
Reply #27

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exporte and standalone is a good start, but IR and materials within the host tool is a must...
I'll wait.

2019-04-22, 16:17:03
Reply #28

IvanMax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But what about cloud rendering , eg the code stays on corona side and blender guys just seting up their scenes. And of course it will cost money but it is what you get from choosing opensource application.

2020-06-06, 22:54:47
Reply #29

kbbk

• Users
    • View Profile
    • KBBK.PL
And here we have Otoy with fully integrated commercial Octane renderer. You just need to download their blender build and use it along with licencing app – SO IT IS POSSIBLE – Dear Corona Team, why on earth you try to make so big trouble of that proving it cannot be done? :(