General Category > Gallery

Alternative emotional approach: Fisheye and CloseUps

(1/2) > >>

Helldoor:
Hey there folks,

Happy New Year to you all!

Today I wanted to share with you my last project. The interesting thing about it is the backstory on why the clients even contacted us: The thing is, they already had technically very okay looking visuals for their project. But they still lacked something - authenticity and atmosphere. So, with the last small part of their budget they came to us, asking for exactly that - an quick and down-to-earth, but emotional view on their project. I built it up, played around with the cam positioning and lighting, and this is the result - simple, but impactful.

Hope you like it.
All the best
Helldoor (@helldoorvisualstudio)

aaouviz:
Really nice images. Well done.

I often struggle with such nice balanced environment lighting like you've done so well here.

May I ask what your set-up is here? Cheers!

Helldoor:

--- Quote from: aaouviz on 2022-01-16, 17:41:21 ---Really nice images. Well done.

I often struggle with such nice balanced environment lighting like you've done so well here.

May I ask what your set-up is here? Cheers!

--- End quote ---

Hey there!

Sorry for the late reply - I forgot to enable notifications, so I had no clue someone answered.

Thank you for the kind words - the set up is very simple: Sun and Sky, that's it. As it's a commercial project, I made a daylight study and then just went with the lighting that best suited the atmosphere I was after, while still being realistic (it's June, 6pm, in Germany).
The rest was photography work - just moving the camera around until I found interesting angles I liked.

Not sure if this helps you, though?

aaouviz:
No problem mate, thanks for the reply.

Ok great to hear. I usually find myself going down a rabbit hole of colour correction, environment overrides etc. I guess you don't have any of this going on then?

I find your balance of blue sky and bright highlights on the features to be so perfect. Something, as I said, I struggle with. I'd usually have such dark areas to compete with. So, if you have any other tips I'd be keen to hear them.

Keep up the good work.

Helldoor:
I usually try to get the best output possible, directly out of the VFB. There are two reasons for that:

1. Consistency | If I only have to deliver one image, then I could use all the render elements in post to get a desired result. If it's more however, then it becomes quite tedious to get a consisten final result for all of them. That's why I tend to go for the optimal results while still in Corona and then just do some fine tuning in post only.

2. Lazyness | The more I do in 3dm, the more flexible I am. Also, the more easy the post production is.

Generally, I try to go for a consistent and simple GI - it's either Sun + Sky (very flexible, but no clouds etc.) or a good HDRI (not so flexible, but nice reflections and a 'populated' sky). Overrides are also an option, but I do them only when I have no other option (e.g. Worked with a photographer on an interior: He made a 360° of the surroundings, but it was not a HDRI with good illuminational value, so I used it to override the Environment, Reflections and Refractions, while still lighting up my scene with Sun and Sky).
As for the dark areas and highlights - don't forget, there's always post-production for that.

Good luck!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version