Author Topic: ergonomic work enviroment  (Read 2946 times)

2021-11-26, 12:02:38

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
Hi All,

As I'm getting older I have started to develop pains in my wrist/elbows and shoulder, mainly from sitting at a desk for long days. Finally had enough and I'm going to try and make my setup more ergonomic, I figured it must be a common problem with 3D artists so I wondered if anyone had found anything that helped? or what your setups are like?

I was thinking of buying the logitech ERGO K860 split keyboard and MX vertical mouse to start, is anyone currently using them? I have tried numerous mechanical keyboards over the years, the high key travel and clicking really doesn't sit well with me so I want to avoid that.

Also standing desks? Is anyone using one day to day? It's quite a big investment for something I'm not sure I will like. Is it practical going from sitting to standing with 2 big monitors and all the cables that come with it?

Thanks!

2021-11-26, 13:38:56
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I have a standing desk.

I like it. But I can't honestly say I use it a lot. I try to make it a habit of starting off my day using it for 1 hour or so. In reality I use it like this maybe once a week. I actually like it the most for when I'm super busy and I'm doing work on 2 PC's simultaneously (the 2nd PC is on a second desk behind me). Running back and forth when I have the standing set-up is kinda handy.

The cables are an issue. They're all just dangling, and I can't see much possibility of cleaning it all up without investing lots of time and extra cost in longer cables.

It's a big desk, with a big motor so it did cost a bit. But I trust it to handle the load of 2 screens (though they're only lightweight 27inch). The PC is on the ground. My first thought when I started using it was that it might have been smarter to tether the PC tower to the desk, so when it goes up/down, the PC follows and theoretically the only cable that needs to move with it is the power. Now I have 2x HDMI, 2x Monitor power, mouse, speaker, USB charging, microphone, lamp, webcam cables all moving up/down with the table and it is quite messy.

The only other issue I can raise is that I'd like the desk motor to have memory (settings). I noticed when I lifted it up I instantly forgot what height i liked the table at. 1 or 2 cm difference made my back hurt big time. So I simply drew lines on the legs to indicate when I'm at the right height.

Good luck mate.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-11-26, 15:17:47
Reply #2

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
Thanks man, That's really helpful!

It's a hard bullet to take on the standing desk as I feel I might be similar to you and not use it that much. Have you tried working while standing for the whole day?

The cables sound like a pain aswell.. I guess the excess cable thats needed on the highest height setting is just dangling down while sitting?

2021-11-26, 16:10:12
Reply #3

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I have not tried standing for the whole day.

I think the longest I've lasted is 2 hours, though I've never really pushed myself.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-12-06, 04:35:05
Reply #4

Pepelecrabb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I went the other direction...I made my own desk with a nice padded foot rest, a 30" pull out shelf under the top for my wireless keyboard and mouse and wacom. Add a comfortable reclining office chair with adjustable arm rests. I hardly move a muscle, everything is supported. So I get up often and get a drink of water and look at something farther the 24" from my face.

2021-12-06, 12:16:08
Reply #5

hurrycat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would like to add my 2 cents regarding the mouse: I have been using the MX Master 3 for a while now, and before that I was using the 1st Gen MX Master. The mouse has received only positive reviews overall, and I am starting to think that noone from those reviews is using the mouse for modelling in a 3D Software. The mouse wheel is really hard to press, which quickly becomes a pain when you have to press it constantly to navigate the scene. Add the overall big weight and not so light clicks, and the mouse quickly becomes very un-ergonomic, to the point that I have started to feel sore on my hand.

I am thinking of going either for a vertical one, or for a gaming mouse with easier clicks and more customizable buttons with better placement.

Everyone is different, but I would love to see more people contribute to this post.

2021-12-06, 16:49:53
Reply #6

jamesdowling

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atmos Visuals
I went the other direction...I made my own desk with a nice padded foot rest, a 30" pull out shelf under the top for my wireless keyboard and mouse and wacom. Add a comfortable reclining office chair with adjustable arm rests. I hardly move a muscle, everything is supported. So I get up often and get a drink of water and look at something farther the 24" from my face.

I think I will stay with the sitting desk option after looking into it a bit more and talking to a few people. The foot rest sounds interesting though and maybe a new chair would be a good move.

I would like to add my 2 cents regarding the mouse: I have been using the MX Master 3 for a while now, and before that I was using the 1st Gen MX Master. The mouse has received only positive reviews overall, and I am starting to think that noone from those reviews is using the mouse for modelling in a 3D Software. The mouse wheel is really hard to press, which quickly becomes a pain when you have to press it constantly to navigate the scene. Add the overall big weight and not so light clicks, and the mouse quickly becomes very un-ergonomic, to the point that I have started to feel sore on my hand.

I am thinking of going either for a vertical one, or for a gaming mouse with easier clicks and more customizable buttons with better placement.

Everyone is different, but I would love to see more people contribute to this post.

I actually just purchased the logi mx vertical mouse and I couldn't be happier with it, The wrist position is really comfortable. Right/ left click makes a bit of a sharp clicking noise though but apart from that no complaints and a big improvement over my last 2 mice (razer/corsair). I also got the logitech ergo keyboard which is taking a bit of time to get used to...It's really nice to type on but I'm finding for 3D viewport controls it's a bit awkward (W,E,R, f3, f4, alt,shift) due to the keys being tilted and on a curve, I'm going to stick with it but I would try and test it out before purchasing as I feel it wont be for everyone.

2021-12-06, 19:55:50
Reply #7

fkoehler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Also using the MX Vertical for a couple of months, coming from the Anker Vertical Mouse. I had to adapt again as the hand position is quite different from the Anker mouse. Battery longevity is great and no lag issues so far when wireless (for the first month I used it plugged until I try it wireless). Like in the Anker model there's no support for the little finger, so it tends to rub against the mousepad, although it's quite less than the Anker.
Never tried a standing desk, but as I tend to get up and wander around when I get phone calls, I don't sit for that long!

all best,
Francisco

2021-12-16, 16:03:21
Reply #8

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I have a standing desk and it proved to be great for my legs. I use it mostly when I'm very busy. At night I was feeling pain in my legs while sleeping. After alternating standing/seating I don't feel the pain anymore.
In my opinion it was a good investment.

The one I bought was this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MTFWW3D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great quality. I just added an IKEA table top.

For keyboard I have the BlackWidow Lite TKL Tenkeyless Mechanical Keyboard. The fact that doesn't have the numerical pad allows me to use my mouse more centered.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JGDDWDN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the idea of ths space for the mouse, but I'm not crazy with the fact that it's a mechanical keyboard.
3DConnecxion released recently one that seems to be better for me and I'm thinking on getting it:
https://3dconnexion.com/us/product/keyboard-pro-with-numpad/

For mouse I use a simple wired Logitech mouse. Honestly, I don't find other mice to make any difference, and was having connectivity issues. I'm happy with my standard mouse.