Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520326 times)

2018-09-24, 10:45:31
Reply #105

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Hey Juraj,  seems like this 2990wx build we do is more bleeding edge then we expected :/ , I still did not assembled my, i`m missing the case. I was going for evolv x, but i ditched it yesterday lol,  and ordered Lian o11- Air from caseking,  in favor of better positioning of 2 x 360 rads and additional 6x120fans for better airflow(GPUS + aorus VRMs). GA updated bios for Aorus extreme few days back,  hopefully with some of the stuff Wendel mentioned, agesa, governor, voltages, bios oc stuff...

Looks like i`m going to need full week holiday to get this build up and running..
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2018-09-24, 11:13:43
Reply #106

vansan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I really appriciate you guys for sharing both positive and negative experience with your builds.
Also very interested in your experience of organising incase airflow.
To get more cool air inside I chose FRACTAL DESIGN Define S case, to move all hdd's to back side of the case.
My build with asrock taichi is still on paper, waiting for my order in first dayz of october.
Still no desition on cooler, hopefully new asus AIO's will arrive in shops soon, as they cool VRM's too.

2018-09-24, 11:54:47
Reply #107

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Some pics.

The total airflow is as follow: Frontal 360mm tall 60mm thick Rad is in intake push-pull with 6x 120mm Noctua F12 PWM running between 200rpm (idle) to 600rpm while rendering. Top radiator is 420mm tall 45mm thick with 3x 140mm Noctua A14 PWM running between 200rpm (idle) to 600rpm while rendering.

For air-flow bottom case are 2x 120mm Noctua S12 PWM running 400rpm (idle) to 600rpm (rendering). Rear exhaust is 140mm Noctua A14 PWM running 400rpm idle to 600rpm while rendering.

The setup is positive-heavy due to case being open, so to avoid dust buildup. Same reason for pull-only top radiator, it's easier to clean and doesn't obstruct the board for easy service/replacement.
(bottom fans are not installed in this pics, I was still waiting for them. Rad fans might need 800rpm for overclock but due to waiting for stable bios, it's not necessary at this time. Even at 400rpm, the CPU cores are 56C while rendering at stock.)
(if you find the bottom tube awkward, know that is for easy adding for GPU later. Less hassle, no need to add tubing).

Why the strange case :- ) ? It's the biggest one that would still fit under the table to allow for two thick rad without obstructing the tall VRM heatsink on MEG. It can house 2x 60mm 360mm rads easily (or even thicker front!).
It's not minimalistic but the glass is actually almost full-black, not see-through. I just post-produced the photos to better show internal :- ). In life it's ok to look at, almost enjoyable in fact.

No RGB was seen :- ). Although I did take one pic of it heh.
« Last Edit: 2018-09-24, 12:44:19 by Juraj Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2018-09-24, 12:22:23
Reply #108

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Juraj, how did you setup your fans cables + control?  3 to 1 Y splitter and then dirrectly to board , and each rad separately for more control? or both rads are on one PWM control cable to cpu FAN?  i`m going to have 12 fans in my, maybe in need to look for some fan hub..

2018-09-24, 12:25:56
Reply #109

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey Juraj,  seems like this 2990wx build we do is more bleeding edge then we expected :/ , I still did not assembled my, i`m missing the case. I was going for evolv x, but i ditched it yesterday lol,  and ordered Lian o11- Air from caseking,  in favor of better positioning of 2 x 360 rads and additional 6x120fans for better airflow(GPUS + aorus VRMs). GA updated bios for Aorus extreme few days back,  hopefully with some of the stuff Wendel mentioned, agesa, governor, voltages, bios oc stuff...

Looks like i`m going to need full week holiday to get this build up and running..

That's pretty smart case ! I did not even consider these wide cases to get around the table height limitation. This one seems to do it right by being one&half thick and not the oppressively looking double-wide cases.

Interesting fact is that after putting the PC together, I installed new bios (one six week old from August, but still newer than 10 week old from July the board shipped from) which had exactly one thing, the AGESA update. That did not help sadly my case, but the recent beta bios (one week old) seems to fixed everything for now.

Juraj, how did you setup your fans cables + control?  3 to 1 Y splitter and then dirrectly to board , and each rad separately for more control? or both rads are on one PWM control cable to cpu FAN?  i`m going to have 12 fans in my, maybe in need to look for some fan hub..

I went with big splitters connected directly to PSU as MOLEX (since board limitations basically allow only 3to1) and only PWM controllers attached to board.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2018-09-24, 14:46:32
Reply #110

vansan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Juraj, thank you!
I really miss youtube video, where the process of assebling workstation like yours is recorded.
It's beautiful!

2018-09-24, 14:51:42
Reply #111

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am way too awkward to make a youtube video, and I was too busy to record everything properly but I did few timelapses where I build it with my friend Martin. Maybe I'll find some time to stitch it together :- )

2018-09-24, 20:33:52
Reply #112

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you trying to be funny or what ? I fail to see the sarcasm.
I see, i expressed myself poorly. No sarcasm, but thankful for all your efforts to save us from 'headaches'.
I sincerely apologize.

BTW. Great setup. Keep it up.

2018-09-25, 06:30:54
Reply #113

spadestick

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Any thoughts on the new RTX Turing Architecture?

2018-09-26, 07:55:05
Reply #114

Luke

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LC3D
@juraj how does it run? is it everything you hoped for?

can you summarise/list the components in one easy to read post? I've trawled this thread and tbh get quite lost in the tech talk...
« Last Edit: 2018-09-26, 09:18:04 by Luke »

2018-09-26, 11:28:45
Reply #115

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes I plan to do, was just too busy. Easy to post tidbits between nervous breakdown for 6k machine functioning as expected :- ).

2018-09-26, 13:18:39
Reply #116

Zray

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3darcspace studio
Yes I plan to do, was just too busy. Easy to post tidbits between nervous breakdown for 6k machine functioning as expected :- ).
hi, what is your msi pci card?

2018-09-26, 13:42:25
Reply #117

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
hi, what is your msi pci card?

It's bundled PCIe expander card with four m.2 slots for PCIe SSDs. It's big overkill in terms of cooling :- ) But since there is empty space there why not.

2018-09-28, 13:22:53
Reply #118

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
For everybody that is tempted to go for Enermax liqtech tr4 AIO

Just don`t do it, TR II have leaking issues as well....

here are few posts from official US Enermax support:

https://hardforum.com/threads/enermax-liqtech-tr4-aio-liquid-cpu-coolers-review.1945204/page-4#post-1043848370

2018-09-28, 14:28:48
Reply #119

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Oh wow, well that seals the deal for AIOs.