Author Topic: I need a glow plugin that works with Corona  (Read 9070 times)

2014-06-25, 14:09:20

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, I've got a scene with ~ 3000 tiny led lights (corona light mtl, all one object) that need to glow quite brightly, rather than being just white dots. The problem is that they are so small the regular mask / photoshop method isn't working. Is there some sort of plugin I can use in 3ds max that enables a glow / glare effect on the light emitting material?

I can get the glow effect on the led's in keyshot really well...but I'd rather not have to composite anything - it would be great to do it all out of 3ds max...especially as this is going to be animated.

Many thanks!
Vray who?

2014-06-25, 14:25:40
Reply #1

Captain Obvious

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Post-glows have to be done in unclamped & untonemapped floating point space, so you'll have to disable highlight compression in Corona and save as a high dynamic range format such as OpenEXR. After Effects has decent enough support for this.

I'm pretty sure Corona doesn't support image filters inside 3ds Max right now (such as bloom).

2014-06-25, 14:41:14
Reply #2

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
masking the leds with CMask render element wont work?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-06-25, 15:09:25
Reply #3

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess I could go the after effects route, but was just wondering if there was something similar to max's / vray's bloom that could work with Corona to avoid compositing.

Keymaster, the masking does work but the Led's are absolutely tiny so they don't show up too well, hence why it would be great if there was something can could pick up the light material and apply a real time effect within max.
Vray who?

2014-06-25, 15:29:18
Reply #4

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I guess I could go the after effects route, but was just wondering if there was something similar to max's / vray's bloom that could work with Corona to avoid compositing.

Keymaster, the masking does work but the Led's are absolutely tiny so they don't show up too well, hence why it would be great if there was something can could pick up the light material and apply a real time effect within max.

Vray Lens Effect works with Corona, as far as I know.

2014-07-05, 16:36:26
Reply #5

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Couldn't get the Vray lens effects to work with Corona, not sure if I'm doing something wrong? Does it only work with an actual light and not with a light material?
Vray who?

2014-07-17, 10:46:45
Reply #6

ikercito

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd like to get some tips on this too.... I've seen others comment about Vray Lens Effect working with Corona, but couldn't get it to work myself.

I suppose I'd need to plugin the effect and get Corona to render to the Max frame buffer,... am I right?

2014-07-17, 12:44:58
Reply #7

foxid

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2014-07-19, 15:02:34
Reply #8

filipskrzat

• Active Users
    • View Profile
select all lights via "select-> color range" on photoshop(usin wire color mask) , copy to new layer, filter->blur->gausian blur (layer on screen, duplicate if needed) :)

2014-07-19, 16:51:29
Reply #9

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
select all lights via "select-> color range" on photoshop(usin wire color mask) , copy to new layer, filter->blur->gausian blur (layer on screen, duplicate if needed) :)

Yeah that wasn't really cutting it as some lights were 2 pixels big, so the glow would get lost in the distance whilst ones up front had massive glow. I just need something like in Keyshot where you can move a slider within max and bam, instant glow / lens effects on light sources.
Vray who?

2014-07-19, 18:32:51
Reply #10

foxid

• Active Users
    • View Profile

its not about it...