Author Topic: Color correction techniques  (Read 3504 times)

2021-06-09, 01:45:49

Pedro9374

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hello guys,

I have a question if anyone may help me. I use 3ds max and when we try to color correct vegetation for exemple, often times we get a multisub object material with several materials attached to it (leaves, bark, soil etc). Those materials usually have difuse and translucency color to be corrected. I normally make a color correction map for each map on those slots wich is very slow and hard to see in the vfb since im color correcting each leaf at the time.

Isn't there a way to color correct all the leaves materials at the same time? There are also some materials from maxtree or forestpack wich i give up at the beginning given the crazy amount of materials attached to a multisub object lol

I hope i made myself clear.

Thank you all

2021-06-09, 08:22:10
Reply #1

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I deal with this problem almost every day.

I don't have an answer for you, I'd love one if something exists.

But for now the best I can offer is to ensure you're using "using these settings" option in the CoronaColorCorrection node... so you only correct once and plug all the translucencies and diffuse textures into their own linked ColorCorrection node... I hope this makes sense?

Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-06-09, 14:35:40
Reply #2

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi
I don't have global solution for your request, but in cases when I need to control the same kind of parameters of different materials (such as diffuse/transc. maps of leaves) I use Bezier Float controllers. Each of them can control some parameter of CoronaColorCorrect map (Saturation, Hue, etc.). So, for example, I Can change Saturation of group of Defuse maps connected to different materials at once. You can see example of this kind of solution on attached picture. In this case SATURATION controller can change saturation parameter of two CoronaColorCorrect maps connected to different materials. HUE controller will affect Hue parameter of those CoronaColorCorrect maps. With this you can group some materials and control them all by changing parameters of connected controllers at any stage of the project.
Workflow:
- create controllers according to the amount of parameters you need to control,
- create CoronaColorCorrect map and connect all controllers to the corresponding inputs
- copy CoronaColorCorrect map as many times as many maps you need to control
- make the maps you need to control go through the created CoronaColorCorrect maps which have the same created in the beginning controllers
- enjoy
« Last Edit: 2021-06-09, 16:35:30 by Bormax »

2021-06-09, 15:02:34
Reply #3

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I know those massive maxtree materials all too well. Ideally what would be needed here is a script to automatically add a colour correction node to the diffuse, translucency e.t.c maps, either linked or unlinked by a bezier float.

And while we're wishing for useful scripts: a feature to auto rename junk maps (i.e. 13456328734928372) to something more useful like "Diffuse ID1, Gloss ID1, Bump ID1" - and then auto remove copied maps, and instead link maps that should be instanced.
Vray who?

2021-06-11, 15:29:43
Reply #4

Pedro9374

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello everyone and many thanks for your replies.

It seems that every option has some complexity with it. I guess i'll stick with material ID map and do the correction in post pro. It annoys me a bit because sometimes i need to send drafts to the client and thats why i always try to do everything in the 3d software.

Thank you all

2021-06-12, 07:34:17
Reply #5

dsolod

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Most of the time for vegetation we have to adjust the Output parameters (Output Amount, RGB offset, RGB level) of each bitmap in Multi/Sub-Object material at once
In this case we use the following script

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/batch-material-editor

You should try it )

2021-06-12, 10:35:56
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm a bit puzzled why it seems that everyone is trying to ignore aaouviz's advice and instead are looking for more inconvenient ways to solve an issue, which already has perfect solution? An option to use master Corona colour correct node to modify multiple CCC nodes at once has been introduced long time ago and it is much easier to use than to set-up controllers tree or use third party scripts.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-06-12, 16:04:42
Reply #7

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But for now the best I can offer is to ensure you're using "using these settings" option in the CoronaColorCorrection node... so you only correct once and plug all the translucencies and diffuse textures into their own linked ColorCorrection node... I hope this makes sense?

I'm not sure I understand. Are you saying that the nodes can be linked or instanced in a way that if you change something in one colorcorrect it changes in the others?

EDIT:
An option to use master Corona colour correct node to modify multiple CCC nodes at once has been introduced long time ago

Where is this master color correct node?
« Last Edit: 2021-06-12, 16:08:06 by lupaz »

2021-06-12, 16:13:45
Reply #8

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This is so cool.
I had no idea about it.

2021-06-12, 16:37:30
Reply #9

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Romullus

What happened to the guy doing these tutorials? Do you know?
He was great to show solutions like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfmBQplCo30

2021-06-12, 17:02:56
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Sorry, i have no idea. You'd better ask this someone from the team. On the other hand Corona  is still producing nice tutorials, just not that often how it used to be.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-06-13, 20:15:56
Reply #11

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
@Romullus

What happened to the guy doing these tutorials? Do you know?
He was great to show solutions like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfmBQplCo30

He didn't want to be stuck just making tutorials all his life, so moved on to work on other projects :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-06-14, 03:53:25
Reply #12

Pedro9374

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hello guys,

Thank you all for your kind answers. I guess i didn't knew about this "use settings from map" feature! Very nice and now its more convenient to change those parameters.

Thank you

2021-06-14, 15:44:45
Reply #13

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

He didn't want to be stuck just making tutorials all his life, so moved on to work on other projects :)

Got it. Thanks.

2021-06-17, 19:53:32
Reply #14

Bormax

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm a bit puzzled why it seems that everyone is trying to ignore aaouviz's advice and instead are looking for more inconvenient ways to solve an issue, which already has perfect solution? An option to use master Corona colour correct node to modify multiple CCC nodes at once has been introduced long time ago and it is much easier to use than to set-up controllers tree or use third party scripts.

Thank you Romulus for this information! I didn't know that it's so simple and now feel that I was blind not to notice "Use settings from map" option :)
Thanks, it will save much time!