Author Topic: increase the quality of the texture in a small size  (Read 5511 times)

2021-06-16, 17:50:15
Reply #15

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
FStorm. Specifically in the bump mapping/parallax bump department. Natural anisotropy can be achieved simply with micro fine bump mapping - and it doesn't change depending on the level of zoom/render resolution.

Filtering in general is always tack-sharp in FStorm: sharp, but without CGI'd jaggies on edges. Material bitmaps for some reason just seem more natural and less grainy - and I'm not talking about render noise, there's a kind of fine pixel noise in Corona that shows up that's hard to describe (which goes away with down sampling). I've mostly noticed it on wood materials - I did some side by side comparisons a while ago where it was very obvious (don't have them to hand).

Adding DOF also doesn't cause a massive performance hit/excessive noise (despite tweaked sampling balances in Corona). Being able to render out interior vignettes in 5 minutes vs 1 hour+ for a noise free DOF shot is nothing to sniff at.

I've transitioned all of my high-end product vis and 50% of interior work to FStorm, despite Corona being more feature rich and easy to use in places. Being able to render on 3x3090's is blazing fast, in comparison to my 3970x (no a 3990x wouldn't touch the speeds I can achieve in Fstorm on a single machine).

I'll always settle on whatever render engine suits my needs and use cases, so this isn't necessarily a knock on Corona as a rendering engine. If the above issues were sorted I would transition back in a heartbeat (while the FStorm dev is a coding wizard, I don't like his attitude at all).
Vray who?

2021-06-16, 20:35:19
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
FStorm. Specifically in the bump mapping/parallax bump department. Natural anisotropy can be achieved simply with micro fine bump mapping - and it doesn't change depending on the level of zoom/render resolution.

But does it work with any arbitrary image, or just with Fstorm's native noise? I saw this feature praised many times, but it seems i can't get an answer to my question.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2021-06-16, 22:55:36
Reply #17

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But does it work with any arbitrary image, or just with Fstorm's native noise? I saw this feature praised many times, but it seems i can't get an answer to my question.

Yep, one of our use cases was mixing many 8K dirt maps, along with super stretched versions of the maps for beer can renders.
Vray who?