Author Topic: UV troubles..  (Read 6843 times)

2015-03-26, 21:22:22

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Anyway, so I am modeling some bumper cases for mobile phones and the customer wants them mapped so he can use some images / text on them for print.

If I use normal planar mapping on the back then the image is stretched on the edges. If I go ahead and utilize full unwrapping I end up with some twisted UV mesh that gives me bad results if the text is showing on the image :(

I mean, whatever way I try to "relax" / "unfold" the UV cage I always end up with some skewed results and I cannot use planar mapping because I need the image to go over edges as well.

Anyone got some experience with that? I am losing my mind :(

You can see on the screenshots that if I use some image texture it is not really noticeable but it starts to get dirty when the texture has some straight lines or text.

I have tried to UVW unwrap in both Cinema4D at work (screenshots) and at home in my 3dstudio 2015. Getting exactly the same results after relax.

Thank you in advance!
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2015-03-26, 22:43:23
Reply #1

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it's hard to map this model without unwrapping it, if not impossible. Do you have low poly mesh? First of all, It should be much easier to do it without subdividions. You might also upload the mesh if you want someone to check it.

2015-03-27, 08:12:34
Reply #2

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Hey twoheads, thank you very much for your input. I understand that I have to unwrap this model to make it work but the thing is that it was giving me such a hard time while doing it.

Anyway, I think I have managed to unwrap it manually after relaxing so it is looking somewhat straight right now. How I am not really good with unwrapping, since I usually do models that I can project textures on if needed, I thought there might be some option or something else that I am missing that would automatically straighten up the UV mesh after relax so it doesn't look so distorted. But I guess there's not :D

EDIT: Oh and yeah, I guess it was my mistake that I went to unwrap it in high poly (since I deleted the low poly mesh.... or well, made it editable after reaching final shape - which was insanely stupid of me and actually something that I don't usually do).
« Last Edit: 2015-03-27, 08:16:43 by tomislavn »

2015-03-27, 09:13:39
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Subdividing something after adding UVS may produce distortions - this isn't a very good method.
I would try adding seams manually to the model and then checking different options in uvw editor - there is something called "straighten" that should help here. But I'm not good at uvw mapping, it's a nightmare for me.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-03-27, 10:31:59
Reply #4

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Basicallly Maru is both right and wrong ;) I do unwrap models using mentioned method and  it works fine (most of the time...nah 50/50) but to be absolutely honest sometimes it gives undesired distortions as Maru said...and yes as suggested it probably wont work without adding seams. I wrote about unwraping on basic model simply because it gives more control, but now it's pointless.

I was wondering have you tried other tools than native ones?

2015-03-27, 19:14:35
Reply #5

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the easiest way I know, how to do it correctly is to cut your model more, for that topology you need more seams especially cause of the holes on bent surface.. and then apply your texture using some texture painting tool.

You cannot unfold this topology using only one seam. It is like, try to unfold and flatten your shirt on a table with just one continuous cut and without stretching the fabric..

It will be either distortions in resolution or not easily readable uv map.

2015-03-30, 12:40:26
Reply #6

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Thank you very much guys for your comments and feedback. I just wanted to say that after messing around with it, I have downloaded Maya 2016 LT (15 days trial) and decided to try its new UV tools.....

The result - Oh my God!!! Honestly, I took my case mesh inside and made camera projection from top view then opened the new UV editor and pressed "Optimize" and it relaxed the mesh in 1 click absolutely automatic without almost any curvature. Took a few minutes to fix some bends but that is all, it was so easy with new UV Lattice / Smooth tools.

Anyway, in my opinion - Maya 2016 LT's UV tools are the best ones I have tried yet! (and of course full version as well when it comes out, guess its gonna have the same toolset)

EDIT: Added a preview of the interface and a preview of an automatic relax mesh (it is another phone case for Galaxy Note 4 with even more cuts) .. just so you can see how clear it comes out with that complex mesh. It is amazing! No cuts, no seams, nothing - just plain projection then relax. It is even more beautiful with simple models.

LOVING the new UI as well ;) - I made screenshot with smaller window so it doesn't take much space in the post. I work in 1440p normally and it does look stunning!

@maru - when you subdivide there is an option for UV subdivision as well, if you click edge only the map will be left intact just like on non-subd'd mesh.
« Last Edit: 2015-03-30, 12:55:37 by tomislavn »

2015-03-30, 13:13:40
Reply #7

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
good to hear you've found the solution....maya's uv editor rocks indeed

2015-03-30, 13:49:11
Reply #8

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
good to hear you've found the solution....maya's uv editor rocks indeed

Thank you twoheads for your help :) I will definitely remember the tips for next time!

2015-03-30, 16:20:22
Reply #9

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you very much guys for your comments and feedback. I just wanted to say that after messing around with it, I have downloaded Maya 2016 LT (15 days trial) and decided to try its new UV tools.....

The result - Oh my God!!! Honestly, I took my case mesh inside and made camera projection from top view then opened the new UV editor and pressed "Optimize" and it relaxed the mesh in 1 click absolutely automatic without almost any curvature. Took a few minutes to fix some bends but that is all, it was so easy with new UV Lattice / Smooth tools.

Anyway, in my opinion - Maya 2016 LT's UV tools are the best ones I have tried yet! (and of course full version as well when it comes out, guess its gonna have the same toolset)

EDIT: Added a preview of the interface and a preview of an automatic relax mesh (it is another phone case for Galaxy Note 4 with even more cuts) .. just so you can see how clear it comes out with that complex mesh. It is amazing! No cuts, no seams, nothing - just plain projection then relax. It is even more beautiful with simple models.

LOVING the new UI as well ;) - I made screenshot with smaller window so it doesn't take much space in the post. I work in 1440p normally and it does look stunning!

@maru - when you subdivide there is an option for UV subdivision as well, if you click edge only the map will be left intact just like on non-subd'd mesh.

Man we need those UV mapping tools in max! I absolutely have UV mapping as it stands, so cumbersome and non-use friendly.
Vray who?

2015-03-30, 16:40:23
Reply #10

twoheads

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Actually I didn't even help You but I'm glad you solved the problem. Maybe next time.

greets :)

2015-03-30, 19:31:18
Reply #11

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Man we need those UV mapping tools in max! I absolutely have UV mapping as it stands, so cumbersome and non-use friendly.

I definitely agree :) Being an user of 3dsmax for ages I was simply amazed with the UV tool set that Maya 2016 brought. It is whole new world compared to Max, at least for now.

Can't wait to see what Max 2016 will bring, but to be honest, I am prepared to be disappointed like last time.