Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 520073 times)

2020-06-28, 22:26:32
Reply #1155

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Does it really matter for what we do - rendering - in the end?

For 3rd generation (important), the short answer is: no :- ) Epycs (Rome), which still run on NUMA when in multi-socket setup, are ok with JEDEC specced 2666 CL19, so you are totally fine.

Long answer: Million youtube videos and Reddit threads how it can help you achieve over 9000 fps, not just 144!

Depending on your motherboard and those particular modules, it might not even be stable at 3000 in 128GB configuration, so you would run it 2933 at best in such scenario.

When on budget, always get more instead of faster. Memory, SSDs, etc..

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-06-29, 19:51:47
Reply #1156

vicmds

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Long answer: Million youtube videos and Reddit threads how it can help you achieve over 9000 fps, not just 144!

Thought I was the only one saturated with these sorts of threads on reddit haha

Does it really matter for what we do - rendering - in the end?

For 3rd generation (important), the short answer is: no :- )

When on budget, always get more instead of faster. Memory, SSDs, etc..

Thanks for the encouragement! We keep reading that 3200 Mhz for this generation is the "sweet spot" and all, but the budget always dictates our decisions in the end. 3000 Mhz are already on their way!

2020-07-03, 00:25:18
Reply #1157

rubensabou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So this is weird...when I enable XMP on my 3990x build (or actually d.o.c.p. in this case, first I've heard of that acronym) and bump my RAM from 2666 to 3200mhz my benchmark rate actually worsens.  I go from 17 seconds to 18 seconds, every single time.  I wonder if the system is pushing CPU clocks down because memory clocks are higher?  Temps don't seem to be a problem, I'm upper 50's lower 60's for CPU.

Not a huge deal, but odd!  Currently stepped back from the faster ram speeds since I can't see any benefit?

I have the same issue, did you find any solution ?

2020-07-03, 07:11:47
Reply #1158

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So this is weird...when I enable XMP on my 3990x build (or actually d.o.c.p. in this case, first I've heard of that acronym) and bump my RAM from 2666 to 3200mhz my benchmark rate actually worsens.  I go from 17 seconds to 18 seconds, every single time.  I wonder if the system is pushing CPU clocks down because memory clocks are higher?  Temps don't seem to be a problem, I'm upper 50's lower 60's for CPU.

Not a huge deal, but odd!  Currently stepped back from the faster ram speeds since I can't see any benefit?

I have the same issue, did you find any solution ?

Check out Juraj’s post a page back where he suggests raising the PPT.  I haven’t tried that although oddly I went back to faster ram speeds and this time my benchmark stayed the same.  We’re just talking about one second so I suspect there’s factors like temp and drivers, etc...

2020-07-03, 13:08:58
Reply #1159

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I mean...you can just run the benchmark 20 times and the result for 3990X will be anywhere from 17 to 20 seconds. It just isn't a good benchmark at all, outside of all the randomness introduced by actual voltage, current, room temperature, OS overhead...

I can't believe people get hang-up on something like this :- D.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-07-03, 16:11:54
Reply #1160

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
I mean...you can just run the benchmark 20 times and the result for 3990X will be anywhere from 17 to 20 seconds. It just isn't a good benchmark at all, outside of all the randomness introduced by actual voltage, current, room temperature, OS overhead...

I think the benchmark would be more helpful if set to something that's 4-5x more complex, which would help widen the gap between results, so they're more readable. I also have a feeling that 10 seconds is hardly enough time for a machine to fully get going for a fair test. In an ideal world the benchmark would run itself several times in a row and take an average reading, maybe.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2020-07-03, 23:06:30
Reply #1161

rubensabou

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I have no interest in benchmarks. With XMP enabled @ 3200 MHZ, my CPU it's stuck @ 2.9 GHz in Corona. At 2666 MHz my CPU it's stuck @ 3.3 GHz, so maybe for 5K does matter. My default RAM works @ 2133 MHz but I didn't tried that yet, so I've got to do some tests.

2020-07-03, 23:56:17
Reply #1162

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
so maybe for 5K does matter.

5K what?

Anyway, I answered it 4 times, few times quite elaborately. Danio wrote my simplest solution, upping the power limit constraints. Overclocked memory takes a big toll on memory controller.

Corona performance doesn't really benefit from fast memory on 3rd gen Zen chips anymore, although the whole system does, but not to great degree outside of latency heavily bottleneck workloads. And by "workloads" is really meant high-fps gaming :- ).

2020-07-03, 23:57:46
Reply #1163

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey AgentDark,

saw your chip & build on twitter :- ). My block was sent only last week (delayed further by my request to switch to all-silver after seeing how beautiful it is), who knows when it arrives but I have no intention to really build it.
How's the system?

2020-07-04, 13:44:13
Reply #1164

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey AgentDark,

saw your chip & build on twitter :- ). My block was sent only last week (delayed further by my request to switch to all-silver after seeing how beautiful it is), who knows when it arrives but I have no intention to really build it.
How's the system?

Hey Juraj,

The system is great! I can now max out all PBO settings without going into immediate thermal throttling on the previous air cooler (Dark Rock pro TR4). The system is completely silent and still very quiet under load, I would definitely recommend the Arctic P12 PWM PST fans as a cheap alternative to the pricey Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM's.

The RAM was not stable at XMP timings, but Ryzen DRAM calculator sorted that out nicely.

The case is extremely cramped with 4 radiators (absolute pain to fit everything together) - but it was the only case on the market that wasn't extremely expensive/massive and that didn't have massive gaps in any panels for dust to get in.

Both of my D5 pumps had to be replaced due to the PWM signal cable dying, so not sure what the cause of that was!

I definitely wouldn't recommend water cooling if you were going to run everything at stock settings. However the Optimus components are extremely impressive, I've never seen such flawless machining.

Here's some pics of the build if anyone is interested: https://imgur.com/gallery/KVllEvD
Vray who?

2020-07-06, 13:38:42
Reply #1165

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Super craftmanship :- ). Fills me with anxiety only thinking of eventual maintenance.

10/10 for choice of tubing and fittings!

2020-07-09, 17:11:21
Reply #1166

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
OK, so who is taking guess at what the 3995X will bring with itself? Wild rumor mill once again :- ).

2020-07-10, 11:30:26
Reply #1168

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Super craftmanship :- ). Fills me with anxiety only thinking of eventual maintenance.

10/10 for choice of tubing and fittings!

Yep, not looking forward to that!

The 3995wx seems like an odd move from AMD considering that the Zen 3 consumer launch is months away...and Zen 3 TR's will be out towards the end of the year.
Vray who?

2020-07-15, 01:29:39
Reply #1169

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Eh, no one needs to worry...it's OEM deal by Lenovo. Looks like it won't be possible to buy for DIY : /

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/thinkstation-p620?

So it's like Mac Pro, except not very pretty. But with powerful hardware.

Interesting things:
- Only 4 single-slot or 2 dual-slot GPUs ? Well effectively 3 dual-slot, but this is how they market it themselves. So how I am going to use those 128 PCI-lanes with 2 GPUs and single AIC? That would be 48, add NICs, few m.2 and we're still comfortable in normal TR4 territory.
- Memory is cooled :- ). I think this will be staple for all upcoming workstations, not just those with super-hot RDIMM. In fact, everyone should probably bolt-on tiny 4cm fan on each quad-stack. Looks ugly...but works well.

- They market it with 27" 2560px Monitor ;- )? I would rather the 6K one from Apple..

But please send me one, I will shill for free.