Author Topic: Corona bump or displacement with bercon tiles  (Read 24288 times)

2015-10-02, 13:03:41

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

Looking for help regarding bercon tiles and corona. When ever i use bercon to create my tiled floors or walls, i can never get a bump from it.
I generally use these setups

bitmaps > multitexture > bercon tile > diffuse
bitmaps > multitexture > colour correction > bercon tile > bump or displacement

so with that in the bump, nothing happens at all. if i use displacement, it says calculating displacement and then the PC slowly starts to lock up until it freezes and i have to turn it off. this generally seems to be the case for displacement on any material, so i tend to avoid displacement completely.

i would like to know how other people get a bump while using bercon tiles with corona.

thanks

2015-10-02, 13:59:08
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Looks like in daily builds it does work with displacement, but does not with bump. Maybe it's the same for you, and the displacement is crashing because it takes up all RAM.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-10-02, 14:04:39
Reply #2

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK so i have to use displacement to get a result with corona? or is this the case with most renderers and bercon? how do i stop it from using all my RAM? it feels like it just slowly begins to eat at the PC until the cursor freezes and then im stuck...

thanks for replying

2015-10-02, 14:31:36
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
There are currently some limitations for multitexture+bercon, for example it does not work with IR.

If displacement is eating all you RAM you can try:
-moving the object farther away from the camera / camera from object
-changing displacement settings (render setup > performance > displacement), increase screen size
-optimizing the displacement material - if it's very detailed, I would suggest blurring it a bit - of course if it's even an option
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-10-02, 15:17:23
Reply #4

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK, the displacement was a map made from the bitmaps being used in multitexture but i also tried just using bercon tile by itself with black n white no extra detail.

I'll see what happens if i change some settings

2015-10-05, 14:04:18
Reply #5

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Tried upping the displacement number in settings, it didn't crash but didn't give a result any where near acceptable. I dont think displacement is going to work, I have 16gb of RAM on this machine, which has never been a problem before with displacements on other renderers.

Just downloaded a trial version of vizparks walls & tiles, it also uses bercon but with their own custom material node and map nodes. Again I am still struggling to get any kind of bump from corona. Going to contact them directly as well, as it says corona is supported, it even has a singled out material just for corona use.

2015-10-05, 14:54:48
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Displacement works out of the box. Bump works too, but with some modifications and limitations.

Luckily, bercoin maps didn't crash max this time. Sadly, it's quite rare experience with those otherwise marvelous maps.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-10-05, 17:21:52
Reply #7

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Romullus, thanks for your response. Now you have bump working for each bitmap that you have dropped into multitexture but you dont have the bump between each tile. so im using bercon to make bricks and need a bump to define each brick, as well as a bump on each brick.

Displacement doesn't seem to work for me, i just ran it on another machine. 4k image with displacement set to 3.0 in setting. it used 30gb of ram and looked awful. it didnt follow the brick pattern at all and for using 30gb of RAM it was a costly render for a not worth while result.

edit- also interesting you use an output node, what exactly is this for?

2015-10-05, 17:53:37
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You're right, i've managed to make Corona render either gaps or bitmaps in tiles as bump maps, but not combined result. But bump mapping is always a bit finicky in 3ds max. OTOH i don't see any problems with displacement. I've plugged same map into displacement, set screen size to 1 and at 1600x1600 resolution max peaked at 3,5GB RAM usage.

2015-10-05, 18:50:14
Reply #9

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it possible that you could send me a sample scene with the displacement etc all setup and i try to render it on my machine? my displacement didnt get anything near a result like that. If i can get it to work like that, problem solved but for a herringbone paved floor it was using 30gb of ram and doing random things as a result.

It would be good to figure out what is wrong my end.

2015-10-05, 19:30:49
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Sure, attaching max2011 scene.

edit- also interesting you use an output node, what exactly is this for?

It's just bump multiplier. By default bump in bercon tiles are very weak, so i pluged output map and increased bump output there. Same effect can be achieved in bercoin tiles map or by increasing bump amount in material itself though. It's a matter of habbit :]

2015-10-05, 20:57:32
Reply #11

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Just downloaded a trial version of vizparks walls & tiles, it also uses bercon but with their own custom material node and map nodes. Again I am still struggling to get any kind of bump from corona. Going to contact them directly as well, as it says corona is supported, it even has a singled out material just for corona use.

As far as I can remember, VizPark updated their stuff to have Corona versions, but there was a bump/displacement issue due to their coding/script. Not sure if it was ever fixed. They post here but I heven't seen them in quite some time. Here was the thread:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php/topic,4643.0.html

2015-10-06, 09:47:51
Reply #12

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yeah i actually had an email conversation with Martin about the displacement and bump.

Regarding that test scene, it rendered fine on my machine but as soon as i try to use it in a more populated scene it doesn't work and i quickly use more than 16gb of RAM followed by the PC locking up completely.

Does the amount of geo on the plane effect how the displacement modifier or material works? if i subdivided the ground would it ease the calculations at render time? or am i just limited by the machines RAM?

my scene uses 1.5gb of ram then when i hit render its well above 16gb before the calculations are over. maybe my ground plane is too large, it could be calculating things not in view of the camera? or that is hidden behind objects? thought i thought it was screen based and so, sometimes more efficient?

its hard for me to test because each one normally ends in a PC restart each time. I'm going to try a few more things with the test scene and my scene.

2015-10-06, 10:57:55
Reply #13

DarcTheo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Progress was made this morning! i cut up the ground plane for camera views and the displacement started to render properly. It still pushes me for RAM but im actually getting a result! Thanks for the help guys. It's good to be seeing some results

2016-08-03, 16:13:22
Reply #14

Alexandre SCELLIER

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.alexandre-scellier.fr
Hi,
I'm having issues usign Bercon Tiles to generate bump maps. Absolutly nothing happens ... I'm using the last dilybuild. Can you confirm this ? Is there a fix to be made ?
Regards.