Author Topic: Corona Image Editor - output gamma?  (Read 3517 times)

2017-06-06, 20:54:33

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
I saved my output from max to CXR (to play with lightmix) and gamma was set to 2.2. Looks great in the Corona Image Editor, but when I save from the editor to .exr I don't get the option to burn in the same gamma. So when I open the .exr file in PS it's way too dark (looking like gamme of 1). I could just tweak it in PS, but I'm importing several layers and it's just a pain when everything was looking fine in CIE.

I'm probably doing something wrong, please enlighten me :)
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2017-06-07, 10:33:17
Reply #1

gorkemerol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What is the value of override ? If your Gamma value is 2,2 you should select override button and change the value as 2,2 while you are saving the final image. Can u try to change the value please?

2017-06-07, 13:24:29
Reply #2

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
What is the value of override ? If your Gamma value is 2,2 you should select override button and change the value as 2,2 while you are saving the final image. Can u try to change the value please?

But there isn't any "gamma override button" in the standalone Corona Image Editor (CIE) as far as I can see. I guess I could just reload the CXR inside of max, but then it needs to denoise all the lightpasses again. This really should be possible with the CIE.

2017-09-03, 18:30:41
Reply #3

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Small bump, I forgot about this problem and here we are again. What am I doing wrong here?

When I send a job to my render node, I save my img output with a gamma overide of 2.2 and save as a .cexr

When I then load the .cexr on my workstation in the CIE everything looks great and I tweak the lightmix as I want. If I now save to jpg, bmp or png it burns in the gamma of 2.2 nicely, but I only get an 8bit image to play with in PS.

If I save as a normal .exr the gamma goes back to 1 and I have to retweak in PS. Is there a way to save the exr with a gammaoveride like from max?

2017-09-03, 23:03:36
Reply #4

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Jens. Haven't played much with cxr and CIE lately, so I may have missed some changes, but anyway... Why are you saving your cxr with gamma 2.2? Shouldn't it be saved with gamma 1?

2019-01-11, 02:53:19
Reply #5

PsychoBoyJack

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i stumbled on the same problem

it seems that when i open the cxr the gamme is wrong . If in the lightmix panel i pu tanother value in the hdri then re enter the original value, then it becomes magically correct...perhaps itll help someone....