Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519893 times)

2020-05-04, 00:01:34
Reply #1110

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Vendors fix boards or replace them with brand new?

If by vendor you mean Gigabyte, Asus,etc.. then those usually try to fix them instead of sending you brand new.
But you can see if your seller will return your money or in-store credit depending on contract.

Installed daily and not sure if that is even related, but I am rendering a super heavy scene, 3 billion polies due to scattering, SSS, displacement, hair&fur.. and of course high-res, 8k.
I am absolutely staring at the temperature & turbo clocks !!

Just look at it ! 3.7 Ghz stable all 64 cores..in room with 26c ambient in evening. Single fan on NH-U14s, fixed to 900rpm constant speed. No PBO, no undervolt shanenigans, etc.

Amazing chip? Overclocking 3990X would be almost stupid decision.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-05-04, 18:59:27
Reply #1111

pirillino

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Juraj, how is possible to reach 3.7 Ghz without PBO or manual overclock?
I see that the chip is rated at 2.9 Ghz all core....and 4.3 Ghz turbo single core

2020-05-05, 01:42:34
Reply #1112

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
2.9 GHz is "base clock", which really is quite meaningless value today, a relic of bygone era of Pentium 4 :- ).

Today it neither means idle (because CPUs can downclock to 0.5 GHz), nor guaranteed clocks (mount terrible cooler and it will run even lower than this due to throttling). Same useless value as "TDP".

You can't find out on vendor's sites what the actual boost clocks are, with exception of "up to" promise for single-core. Intel for example used to have on (well hidden) "ratios" like 8/6/4/4/4/4/2/2/2/1/etc... which would denote what +100MHz(x) would boost for single core, two cores, 3 cores, 8 cores...  but even that ignored AVX offsets.

AMD went one step further and just integrated fully varied boost clocks based on multiple metrics that measure current, temperature, etc..
Intel recently copied this mechanism and advertises it as "velocity" clocks. Both approaches are the same, given opportunity, the CPUs try to make the best of given conditions available to them (power & cooling).

The only difference between PBO and non-PBO is that you can set higher power limits than stock. Stock being 280W, 300A. But the CPU behaves identically. It tries to reach highest clock with stable voltage under current load primarily, and evaluates the temperatures secondarily.
Based on demand, I've seen the all-core turbo being between 3.4 to 3.7 GHz. Apparently it doesn't consider Corona to be as demanding so it can afford to boost higher.

This process favours highly binned CPUs, which are Ryzen 3950X and Threadripper 3990X. These two feature all their dies binned. The rest having various ratios (like 3900X having one binned die, and two none).

The whole affair is super effective, and makes static voltage overclock a relic of past as well. You already get the best out of CPU by simply placing it into motherboard. No tweaking needed (undervolters disagree, I disagree with undervolters).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-05-06, 11:25:57
Reply #1113

mienda

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Juraj

Can you explain to me how you are doing this increase in processor speed? as you can see on my screenshot my 3990 is at maximum 3.32 GHz in rendering under corona. As I am completely new to the subject I am afraid of making a mistake by modifying the parameters of the Ryzen master.
thank you so much

Damien

after several tests it appears as well described Juraj that the processor boost varies a lot depending on the scenes. On some scenes, I am at 3.4 MHz while on others I can reach 3.8 MHz at 100% processor usage. There is therefore absolutely nothing to set manually in AMD Ryzen MAster or others, it is the processor which acts automatically.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-12, 21:27:55 by mienda »

2020-05-06, 17:24:35
Reply #1114

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Can you explain to me how you are doing this increase in processor speed? as you can see on my screenshot my 3990 is at maximum 3.32 GHz in rendering under corona. As I am completely new to the subject I am afraid of making a mistake by modifying the parameters of the Ryzen master.

I may be wrong, so Juraj should probably clarify that, but this could be because of multiple reasons, which basically come down to the limits of your overall hardware. It could be, for example, something overheating, and not necessarily the CPU. Do you have some monitoring app? Other than Ryzen Master, HWINFO 64 seems to be reading the temperatures correctly.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-05-06, 19:04:27
Reply #1115

cloneops

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@twoheads
Can you see anything physically wrong with board...micro burns? -might need a good magnifier.
oh ..and old school but take the battery out.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-06, 19:09:22 by cloneops »

2020-05-06, 20:11:11
Reply #1116

thomaslivings

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Juraj

thank you so much

Damien

Me too, except mine is at 2.9, temp stable at 63. Ryzen Master is a bit daunting to someone who knows nothing about overclocking.

2020-05-08, 09:00:21
Reply #1117

RPanizzon

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ryan Panizzon Visualisation
Wow! Okay my 3990x CPU was faulty a week after installation. I got that replaced after an exhaustive process of elimination.

The last week my PSU was cutting out, and is also replaced. Very unlucky but hopefully it's smooth sailing from here on in!

Threadripper 3990x
Gigabyte Aorus Master TRX40
Corsair HX1200 1200w PSU

« Last Edit: 2020-05-12, 04:29:29 by RPanizzon »
Web: www.ryanpanizzon.com
Insta: @ryanpanizzon

2020-05-10, 21:15:32
Reply #1118

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Jurak,

Finally got all the pieces for my build.

3990x , 256 GB Trident Z Neo 3200, Quadro 5000, Zenith Extreme II Alpha, Noctua U14S, Sabrent rocket 2tb, latest bios and drivers.

Good temps, never goes above 68 celclius. However, when rendering in corona, I don't get sustained 100% utilization, nor boosts as high as yours, is there anything I need to configure to make the most out of the processor ?

Not talking about OC or PBO, just curious if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

2020-05-11, 16:49:09
Reply #1119

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello Jurak,

Finally got all the pieces for my build.

3990x , 256 GB Trident Z Neo 3200, Quadro 5000, Zenith Extreme II Alpha, Noctua U14S, Sabrent rocket 2tb, latest bios and drivers.

Good temps, never goes above 68 celclius. However, when rendering in corona, I don't get sustained 100% utilization, nor boosts as high as yours, is there anything I need to configure to make the most out of the processor ?

Not talking about OC or PBO, just curious if I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Hmm, that doesn't look right. Standard question: all drivers, bios, chipset driver up to date?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-05-11, 17:10:05
Reply #1120

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, updated everything.

Haven't messed with BIOS settings tho. Wondering if there is something I should enable?

2020-05-11, 18:57:16
Reply #1121

mienda

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I found a difference compared to my pc, try to desactivate Virtualization( see the capture). Perhaps it is the reason.

Mienda

2020-05-11, 20:57:51
Reply #1122

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your suggestion. I disabled virtualization and nothing changed.

I installed Asus AI Suite for the fan control, but it also comes with a bunch of shit. Maybe the software is trying to "help"?

I'm not an advanced user, so this world is very confusing. Anyone know about a good "how to setup threadripper" guide with no bullshit ?

2020-05-11, 21:59:48
Reply #1123

lolec

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok I was able to improve it significantly by enabling XMP. Yet I still don't get sustained 100% usage.  It seems like some kind of throttling because I get 100% at the beginning and it quickly degrades and starts jumping.

Here is a video from the moment I press Render. https://share.getcloudapp.com/NQuDWXKQ

Thanks and sorry to be a pain in the butt. I'm truly lost :(

2020-05-12, 01:16:44
Reply #1124

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi guys

Question about the latest 2 threadrippers, 3990x and the 3970x - i just ordered the 3970x and its via a PC store, its yet to come in.  I was just wondering, i could potentially upgrade to the 3990, but is it a massive improvement?  I mean, it has twice the amount of cores, but is it twice as fast?  I assume interactive rendering would be faster......Any advice would be much appreciated.