Author Topic: difference in renders from v.1 and A7.2  (Read 12513 times)

2015-02-26, 22:37:08
Reply #15

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
it should be 2.2 and nothing else. It's not a creative tool.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-02-26, 22:42:39
Reply #16

StephenMF

• Active Users
    • View Profile
New quick render with gamma enanbled in V1.0

2015-02-26, 22:51:08
Reply #17

StephenMF

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks like if i turn on gamma 2.2 on the V7.2 machine the renders come out exactly the same...

unfortunately that result is not what I am looking for.
:-\

Stephen

2015-02-26, 23:09:00
Reply #18

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Yes, that's correct and expected.

You had been using 7.2 without gamma correction but Corona assumes and requires a gamma 2.2 workflow for correct output. For some reason 7.2 already saved in gamma 2.2 that's why your old render looked brighter than in 1.0

The problem is: your textures were not properly gamma corrected back than, they were loaded in a way that made them look brighter than they are now. With gamma correction enabled, they get the proper correction applied and look the way the are supposed to look (like the textures you have on your hdd). So, now it's correct, back then it was incorrect.
To achieve the same look now you would have to load each texture with an gamma override of 1.0 in the file open dialog (which would again be technically false but it would look the same)
« Last Edit: 2015-02-26, 23:13:01 by DeadClown »
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-02-26, 23:46:56
Reply #19

Thom Coffee

• Users
    • View Profile
Looks like if i turn on gamma 2.2 on the V7.2 machine the renders come out exactly the same...

unfortunately that result is not what I am looking for.
:-\

Stephen

SpehenMF have you tried my method? Ofcourse if you have used vray camera in the scene. I had the same problem and it helped me.

2015-02-27, 10:12:07
Reply #20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-02-27, 19:46:33
Reply #21

j_forrester

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you are using a VrayHDRI loader I now believe the render multiplier is not being taken into consideration. It seems only the overall multiplier is. Try setting your overall multiplier to the older multiplier number x current render multiplier.

Basically if your old multiplier was 0.1 and 10 for render multiplier. Now change your overall multiplier to 1 i.e 0.1 x 10. Maybe see if this helps.

2015-02-28, 08:21:46
Reply #22

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hi..So we should use Automatic for diffuse and override 1.0 for bump/normal map.

but what should i choose for reflection/glossiness[b/w map]. i mean to say automatic or override 1.0.
Thank you.

2015-03-01, 13:07:23
Reply #23

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Put gamam always to 2.2 in all the fields and you'll be safe working with linear workflow, after that render to 32bit exr and you can play as much as you want with color, gamma, exporsure, etc... in comp.

Cheers!

2015-03-01, 17:42:07
Reply #24

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Put gamam always to 2.2 in all the fields and you'll be safe working with linear workflow, after that render to 32bit exr and you can play as much as you want with color, gamma, exporsure, etc... in comp.

Cheers!

Thank you juang ..but if you visit this link the process is totally different: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515647

So what is the right way for correct output? i am getting confused.and you said put gamma always 2.2 in all the field but it is very disturbing to put 2.2 value every time manually. we are facing this problem with version 1.0 but alpha 7.2 worked well and i did not put 2.2 values every time.

i am also sharing here two results on same pc but in different scene files. and the bitmaps look totally different into material editor for a same object[BOOKS]...i don't know why is this happening...i would really thankful if anyone suggest the right way.

Both scenes have same gamma settings on same computer but the book object's map,material slot and gamma is looking different on both scenes..why is this happening....both files on version 1.0.

2015-03-01, 20:58:18
Reply #25

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
maybe I did not explained myself right.

When I say put 2.2 everywhere I mean in the settings tab (I forgot that they removed the additional gamma spinners and now there is only one spinner hehehe), you can forget about the load texture or save image dialogs, they will be automatically managed by max unless you specify a different thing manually, you should do that to load Normal maps and such type of maps, but that's it.

From the link you gave here:

"In 3ds Max 2014 or newer it is not required to alter any settings when saving any types of rendered images. "

and

"When loading ordinary bitmaps (for example into "diffuse" slot), you should always use "Automatic" gamma setting. "
"When loading bump, displacement or normal maps, use gamma override 1.0."

All this is correct, that link is all correct :)

About the texture difference, try manually reloading the texture, I mean, create a new "bitmap" node and manually load the texture there, also try resetting Corona settings, but I bet is the bitmap node, there are times when max gives these type of errors with bitmaps when you change Gamma inside an ongoing project.

Cheers!

2015-03-01, 21:44:19
Reply #26

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
maybe I did not explained myself right.

When I say put 2.2 everywhere I mean in the settings tab (I forgot that they removed the additional gamma spinners and now there is only one spinner hehehe), you can forget about the load texture or save image dialogs, they will be automatically managed by max unless you specify a different thing manually, you should do that to load Normal maps and such type of maps, but that's it.

From the link you gave here:

"In 3ds Max 2014 or newer it is not required to alter any settings when saving any types of rendered images. "

and

"When loading ordinary bitmaps (for example into "diffuse" slot), you should always use "Automatic" gamma setting. "
"When loading bump, displacement or normal maps, use gamma override 1.0."

All this is correct, that link is all correct :)

About the texture difference, try manually reloading the texture, I mean, create a new "bitmap" node and manually load the texture there, also try resetting Corona settings, but I bet is the bitmap node, there are times when max gives these type of errors with bitmaps when you change Gamma inside an ongoing project.

Cheers!

Hi....i am using max 2014 and set gamma to 2.2. but if i use automatic when load texture onto diffuse slot the result become wrong. and if i use override value to 2.2 the result become good.   see the image attached. one with automatic gamma and another with 2.2 override. and 2.2 overide gamma output look correct and good....and above link on corona website explains that use automatic for diffuse....so what should i do.

2015-03-01, 21:59:07
Reply #27

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Seems that your Max behaves different than it should. So just to be sure:

1) Have you tried to save the file with gamma/lut enabled (2.2), close file, close Max, restart Max and reload the file?

2) Have you installed the latest SP for v2014?

I'm running Corona v1.001 in demo mode on MaxDesign 2014 SP5, and haven't had this problem (yet).

2015-03-01, 21:59:33
Reply #28

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
if i use automatic when load texture onto diffuse slot the result become wrong. and if i use override value to 2.2 the result become good.
Could you check how the bitmap looks in your native system image viewer or some other graphic application?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-03-01, 22:39:13
Reply #29

juang3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another thing, did you created a new bitmap node?

Don't just load another texture inside the same bitmap node, but destroy the old one, clear it out adn then create a new one and see hat happens, also do this after you save the file with the gamma settings already configured.

Cheers.