Author Topic: Studio Lighting/Product Lighting.  (Read 6368 times)

2016-02-09, 15:20:15

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Hello corona members.

Can anyone help us in Studio/Product lighting. We did but we are not getting nice shadows,Contrast and good product material. Crome material/Faucet material look totally strange in renderings. Please see our attached render. We are also attaching max file too. Please help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Our render:-

We need below render quality(crome look amazing in example render):-

2016-02-09, 16:32:28
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You are comparing two completely different scenes - your one has uniform lighting; the reference one has directional lighting. Your scene is very bright; reference scene has a lot of dark areas. Also, the metal materials are different. I am attaching a sample. This is done really quick, but basically:
-lights' position and intensity has to be changed
-metal material has to be improved - I slightly lowered glossiness, used anisotropy and subtle bump
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-02-09, 16:40:12
Reply #2

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Be aware, if you want contrasty reflections in your chrome then you need also dark parts in your environment. This is also what I did in our tap renderings here. As maru said, in a bright scene (or dark spot lacking HDRI) you will never have those reflections.
Visit boxel

2016-02-09, 19:20:42
Reply #3

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
You are comparing two completely different scenes - your one has uniform lighting; the reference one has directional lighting. Your scene is very bright; reference scene has a lot of dark areas. Also, the metal materials are different. I am attaching a sample. This is done really quick, but basically:
-lights' position and intensity has to be changed
-metal material has to be improved - I slightly lowered glossiness, used anisotropy and subtle bump

Hey Maru.. Thank you very much for your kind support. now it look really nice. and your faucet material look amazing. thanks for the scene too. by the way can we enhance our lighting more in studio setup, I mean to say i am talking about some soft but little bit dark shadows.

2016-02-09, 19:24:30
Reply #4

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Be aware, if you want contrasty reflections in your chrome then you need also dark parts in your environment. This is also what I did in our tap renderings here. As maru said, in a bright scene (or dark spot lacking HDRI) you will never have those reflections.

Thanks and Yes, you are right. We are facing environment reflection problem on chrome material. but can we use HDRI for studio/product lighting. if yes, then what will be the process.

2016-02-09, 21:16:30
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It's been correctly said above metals only look as good as their environment.

But anyway, there are often needs for tricks. I often want chrome elements to look good in bright, open space and that is problematic. In case like that, I use "fake" chrome, I heavily lower the IOR and thus total reflectance creating the contrasting gradient artificially. It still looks natural, because the end result is the same :- )
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-02-09, 21:33:32
Reply #6

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It still looks natural, because the end result is the same :- )

Interesting point! But the highlights get darker too, don't they? Do you have a reference render where you used that workflow?
Visit boxel

2016-02-09, 21:41:17
Reply #7

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
It still looks natural, because the end result is the same :- )

Interesting point! But the highlights get darker too, don't they? Do you have a reference render where you used that workflow?

How much brighter can pure white get :- ) ? You can get same intensity of highlight on regular plastic mat, but you don't get the mirrory look outside of it because diffusion starts.

If you imagine the reflective curve, it all points to absolute specular at grazing angle. But Aluminium starts at about 80perc, Chrome around 60perc. and I make it about 20-30. Regular 1.52 IOR plastic starts at 0.04 ! so metal will look metal always, just its overall brightness is adjusted.

I'll look for some crops. But you know scenes these are, regular bright rooms with kitchen and bathroom faucets :- ) I still adjust chrome materials in post-production btw, I like them much crisper for artistic effect. I use more contrast for them than rest of the scene.

« Last Edit: 2016-02-09, 21:46:15 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-02-09, 21:51:10
Reply #8

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you imagine the reflective curve, it all points to absolute specular at grazing angle. But Aluminium starts at about 80perc, Chrome around 60perc. and I make it about 20-30. Regular 1.52 IOR plastic starts at 0.04 ! so metal will look metal always, just its overall brightness is adjusted.

You're right. So what do you use as an IOR equivalent of 20-30% at facing angles? ~4.0? I couldn't find such a graph but that sometimes would be helpful.
Visit boxel

2016-02-09, 22:07:47
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
What looks good to my eye :- ) 4 might be bit too low, but even such extreme could work in very bright environment. More like 8 let's say, don't have any scene such open where I could look.

2016-02-09, 22:08:49
Reply #10

-Ben-Battler-

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, thank you for your tips!
Visit boxel