Author Topic: Corona Displacement  (Read 23310 times)

2015-03-27, 11:34:15
Reply #15

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But this workflow is not always usable

And I thought I found something similar to the holy grail :-) But because of my attending interest do you know examples of operations the modifier will fail.

Because of the variegated adjustments of fine-tuning like blurring, decay and the option of extra noise/ 2nd displ. texture etc. it makes a good job. 

2015-03-27, 11:40:28
Reply #16

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
But because of my attending interest do you know examples of operations the modifier will fail.
First thing is that displacement modifier needs an uniformly tesselated mesh. Corona's displacement is "adaptive" - it can produce ultra-small details if they are needed and no subdivisions in other parts of the mesh if they are not needed. To re-create what Corona is doing when you are dealing with a detailed displacement, you would have to subdivide the whole mesh untill you run out of ram and your max crashes or manually make the mesh more dense where it is required (which is insane).
At least that's how I see it. Hope I didn't write anything ultra stupid. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-03-27, 11:52:04
Reply #17

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
While displace modifier can be very usefull in certain situations, it has significant drawbacks over micro polygonal displacement. First of all, your files will be much heavier, mesh becomes much harder to modify and displace isn't view dependant, which is very resource wasteful.

Of course it has its own benefits. Mainly it can be treated as modeling helper.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-03-27, 12:09:11
Reply #18

Fritzlachatte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
that is a really interesting aspect, for the bricks rocks etc. it felt quite fast, but the fact of view independents might become a problem.
I had the misgiving hunch by a lack of "ultra" fine details like wooden planks in closeups and whatever needed ultra high details.
Quite often I had the feeling corona displ. "kills" fine details or blurs to much at corners but as usual (sadly) everything has pros & cons.
But I thank you for these informations, sounds logical and far away from "ultra stupid";-)