Author Topic: Beer  (Read 4249 times)

2020-10-27, 08:28:37

lolloide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone, I wanted to show you my latest pictures done in my free time. I mainly worked on the beer foam because I have never had a good result until now. I think this is a good start.
Advice and criticisms are accepted

2020-10-27, 09:55:28
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The foam looks damn good. Would be interesting to know some details of its creation.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-10-27, 13:59:23
Reply #2

lolloide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The work is very simple: duplicated geometry, one with displacement facing inwards, the other one with displacement facing outwards.

2020-10-27, 17:59:34
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The work is very simple: duplicated geometry, one with displacement facing inwards, the other one with displacement facing outwards.

Wait, that's illegal! :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-10-27, 19:53:11
Reply #4

lolloide

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Wait, that's illegal! :)

:)

2020-10-27, 21:21:06
Reply #5

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Foam looks great! But the color looks off to me, It feels more like ginger ale rather than beer, it is too clear and not saturated enough.

2020-10-27, 23:42:11
Reply #6

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Wait...wut. Can you show us a breakdown of the foam/material? It's extremely impressive and I'll definitely need to utilise this in some of my projects.

Is the displacement map custom or can be it be obtained anywhere?

The one thing that looks off to me is that when looking at reference pictures of beer foam, it generally "merges" into the wall of the glass, whereas your foam sort of sits inside of it (kind of like when people don't intersect liquids with the glass container - it looks odd).
« Last Edit: 2020-10-27, 23:45:40 by agentdark45 »
Vray who?

2020-10-28, 07:38:25
Reply #7

lolloide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Foam looks great! But the color looks off to me, It feels more like ginger ale rather than beer, it is too clear and not saturated enough.

You're right :O... but i tell you truth ... i never seen the ginger ale foam :P i based my foam's study on other kind of foam, like guinnes or hoegaarden's foam. These heve a very soft and dense foam. Anyway thank you for the opinion :)

Wait...wut. Can you show us a breakdown of the foam/material? It's extremely impressive and I'll definitely need to utilise this in some of my projects.

Is the displacement map custom or can be it be obtained anywhere?

The one thing that looks off to me is that when looking at reference pictures of beer foam, it generally "merges" into the wall of the glass, whereas your foam sort of sits inside of it (kind of like when people don't intersect liquids with the glass container - it looks odd).

For the breakdown, i'll show you as soon as possible.
For the side of foam also you're right , for this "test" i don't look at this :(

2020-10-28, 14:27:44
Reply #8

lolloide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here you can see the foams materials : how i used  textures, colors and value of volumetric part.

2020-10-28, 15:12:50
Reply #9

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice,

Thanks for the breakdown! I'm a max user so having a bit of trouble getting my head around the material setup...how did you merge the separate side/top layers into one object? Is the foam one mesh, with Multi ID material or a layered material? Also what's going on with the Vertex maps here?

I've had a bit of trouble doing this in the past with SSS materials and Corona, it doesn't play nice with multi/layered SSS materials. One thing I'm thinking is whether you could triplanar map the foam (using different bitmaps for the top/sides), that way you could keep everything contained in one single material for the SSS portion. I guess this could also be done using a composite map with different UV channels for the bitmaps?

Would you mind linking me where you got the bitmaps or if there's a possibility to purchase them? Would love to run some tests of my own.
Vray who?

2020-10-28, 16:22:32
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Nice breakdown, thank you for sharing it with us!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-10-28, 16:34:52
Reply #11

lolloide

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice,

Thanks for the breakdown! I'm a max user so having a bit of trouble getting my head around the material setup...how did you merge the separate side/top layers into one object? Is the foam one mesh, with Multi ID material or a layered material? Also what's going on with the Vertex maps here?

I've had a bit of trouble doing this in the past with SSS materials and Corona, it doesn't play nice with multi/layered SSS materials. One thing I'm thinking is whether you could triplanar map the foam (using different bitmaps for the top/sides), that way you could keep everything contained in one single material for the SSS portion. I guess this could also be done using a composite map with different UV channels for the bitmaps?

Would you mind linking me where you got the bitmaps or if there's a possibility to purchase them? Would love to run some tests of my own.

I use also max, maybe i can try to do the scene with him ;)