Author Topic: Sketchup to max?  (Read 2011 times)

2019-02-28, 13:07:59

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Anyone got a good workflow for sketchup to max?
Ive got a very clean, very basic model in sketchup and yet when I import to max as either dwg/skp/fbx/3ds I get random edges, nothing is welded and im unable to select borders when i do weld things together.
After welding the smoothing groups are incredibly messed up and after resetting smoothing groups i still cant select borders on certain edges. Chamfers just will not work on the geometry either.

How some people use sketchup day to day for archviz modelling is a mystery to me as I love modelling in it but to get anything useable out of it is difficult and something ive never figured out.
I know the guys at The Boundary use it for their scenes but i honestly dont understand how to get useable geometry from sketchup that i can manipulate.
Can anyone advise on what im doing wrong in the process?

« Last Edit: 2019-02-28, 17:13:41 by jpjapers »

2019-03-04, 16:21:02
Reply #1

phildavis17

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We do a ton of Sketchup to Max here, and you're right. Sketchup geometry is really difficult to modify once it's brought into Max. Our approach is to do all the modeling in Sketchup, so we don't have to make changes once it's in max. We are careful about grouping geometry and softening edges in Sketchup so we don't have to worry about welding or smoothing groups once it's in Max. Big chamfers are modeled in Sketchup, and small ones are taken care of with a Corona Round Edges map. By the time we bring our geometry into Max, all we have left to do is apply materials and add lighting. If we need to make a change, we update the Sketchup model, export the changed geometry, and delete the out of date stuff in Max.

If it's absolutely essential to be able to modify your geometry in Max, you may be better off building it in Max.

Also, for what it's worth, we get our best results importing .skp files, backsaved to version 8. There are fewer unnecessary edges, and it better preserves material names.

2019-03-05, 00:42:04
Reply #2

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I use to export to obj from sketchup. Import as single mesh in max with smooth unchecked. Then use detach by material script in max to separate based on materials. But I haven't done this in awhile so maybe there's a newer workflow.

2019-03-06, 17:03:37
Reply #3

dzintas

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did you try to use cleanup3 and solid inspector2 extensions in sketchup, before importing model into max?

It helped me a lot many times. Still you won't get perfectly editable model sketchup topology is just to bad for that.