Author Topic: Hard Drives and Access of Speed to Models & Maps?  (Read 2191 times)

2022-08-12, 08:24:33

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all

I just wanted to see if there was any improvement i could have on my set up.
Current Specs are below:
Ryzen 3970x
256GB RAM
3080ti
MSI TRX40 PRO WIFI mobo

So as my main C: - where i install my programs, i am using a Samsung 970 Pro M.2.  I mainly use this to install my programs.

I have 2 other drives:
Drive E - which is a 4TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO - now this is where i put all my maps & models.
Drive X - this is a Seagate Ironwolf 8TB - mainly for everything else (pictures/games/phone backups etc etc)

I was was wondering if this is the best and fastest way to get 3DS Max to work with my drives?  I usually get a few bottle necks here and there and was wondering if thats just how it is or because the drives im using arent as quick as they can be?

Any help or guidance much appreciated.

2022-08-12, 12:28:22
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
This is good setup.

Don't worry about drive speed, it helps extremely little with 3dsMax. I have 1TB Optane system drive, fastest random read drive in existence, and it absolutely does nothing to loading scenes.
So does sequential speed of different PCI 4.0 vs PCI 3.0 vs SATA SSDs, even if you have 4GB+ textures per scene.

The bottleneck is 3dsMax itself.

But I have found that local drives load much faster than any network connected ones and this is probably due to the some network protocol limitations (on side of Windows? on side of 3dsMax? don't know).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-08-12, 12:48:15
Reply #2

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Out of all people i wanted to answer i was hoping it was you haha... thanks mate.  That does ease my mind a bit as im always in the pursuit of a more streamlined setup.
3DS max is a bottleneck - could you imagine it wasnt?  i mean, the slate material editor and the compact material editor, its so slow - surely they can rework some code to make it more zippy?

This is good setup.

Don't worry about drive speed, it helps extremely little with 3dsMax. I have 1TB Optane system drive, fastest random read drive in existence, and it absolutely does nothing to loading scenes.
So does sequential speed of different PCI 4.0 vs PCI 3.0 vs SATA SSDs, even if you have 4GB+ textures per scene.

The bottleneck is 3dsMax itself.

But I have found that local drives load much faster than any network connected ones and this is probably due to the some network protocol limitations (on side of Windows? on side of 3dsMax? don't know).

2022-08-12, 14:01:06
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Random thought: I noticed that your current power plan in Windows has an impact on the read/write speeds. This is visible, for example, when copying large files in Windows where you see the progress bar. As soon as you switch between things like "power saver" vs "high performance" plans, you should see a difference in speed.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-08-13, 05:19:35
Reply #4

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thanks for the tip - i already had it on ultimate performance

Random thought: I noticed that your current power plan in Windows has an impact on the read/write speeds. This is visible, for example, when copying large files in Windows where you see the progress bar. As soon as you switch between things like "power saver" vs "high performance" plans, you should see a difference in speed.

2022-08-14, 00:04:06
Reply #5

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Local is always faster for me too, and eliminates issues.  But now with an employee and more demands, I have to be network based.

I've often run into issues with 3ds max when saving large files over the network.  Makes me wonder about that as a significant bottleneck and limitation\liability of the software.  In the help files their official answer is 'Max is a single instance, non-network program...don't use it over a network' basically.  Kind of an interesting (lame) approach :)

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-3ds-Max-Error-writing-to-file-when-saving-over-a-network.html

Solution:
3ds Max is not a server application. It was designed to work locally. While it may work to a certain degree over networks and servers, it was not designed to work that way, so support is not guaranteed to help resolve all issues regarding network issues.

2022-08-14, 01:01:53
Reply #6

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj - just wondering why you wouldnt use something like dropbox?  Since ive been using a pro account with heaps of storage space, ive never had to back up again and it synchronizes across your devices as you wish.

2022-08-17, 09:17:52
Reply #7

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
thanks for the tip - i already had it on ultimate performance

Just noticed I now have the option of "Ryzen High Performance" option. Have you tested this vs Ultimate Performance?
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2022-08-17, 09:40:22
Reply #8

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
where did you see this?  im on windows 10 so not sure how that would apprear?

2022-08-17, 11:13:48
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I've read that with Zen 3 processors, Ryzen high performance plan is obsolete and therefore it is hidden from view. If you have Ryzen 5xxxX CPU, then it is recommended to use balanced power plan. I tried it in Corona benchmark and it looks that high performance plan does not give any benefit and in fact it was even slightly slower than balanced.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures