Author Topic: Camera animation rendering - flickering, artefacts?  (Read 2372 times)

2021-08-19, 14:16:21

niedzviad

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is anybody experienced any problem with denoising camera animations?
I am rendering 1080p 30fps animation, I saved GI to a file(setup flicker free) and I feel the animation to have a little bit "flickering". I am using noise threshold 5%, jpg sequence and denoising high quality 0.65. For me there is strange noise jumping around the movie :)

Link to mp4 https://we.tl/t-pBbzLoXEi8

2021-08-19, 14:29:22
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I am afraid this may be expected. I would suggest:
- rendering to a higher quality - probably noise level of 2-3 would work fine
- using the Intel AI denoiser instead of the HQ one
- processing the footage in some video editor capable of temporal denoising
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-08-19, 15:06:54
Reply #2

niedzviad

• Active Users
    • View Profile
So you suggest to render without denoising or denoise the footage in After Effects (Topaz or somthing)?

2021-08-19, 15:28:10
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I suggest to test on a few frames:

- rendering to a higher quality and applying the same denoiser type (noise level 2-3%)

if the above is not possible or does not work well:

- rendering to the same quality as in the original footage (5% noise) and applying the Intel AI denoiser

if the above is not possible or does not work well:

- rendering without denoising and applying denoising in a 3rd party app

Not sure about C4D but in Corona for 3ds Max we can also save a separate CShading_Beauty render element without denoising. So the last point could be a side effect of points 1 or 2 - you can render the frames with and without denoising in one go.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-08-20, 16:36:10
Reply #4

niedzviad

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im not sure if there is an option to save denoised and no denoisded image via multipass in Cinema 4D, It will be nice to answer from somebody from Corona team.

2021-08-20, 16:41:05
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There is, the same thing, a Virtual Beauty. They are called Multipass passes in C4D rather than Render Elements, other than that it's all the same :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-08-24, 08:41:00
Reply #6

niedzviad

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks, so I can setup virtual beauty to by without denoising, and regular image with denoising. I will test.

2021-08-25, 18:19:03
Reply #7

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The only issue I can see in your animation is from the striped lines in the oven glass. I believe the "flickering" you're seeing is those lines are interacting with over edges/lines inside the oven or reflected in the glass and creative a moiré patter effect. Back in my print days, the only way to remove the patter was to alter the angles of things that are interacting. If a TV host makes the mistake of wearing a fine patterned jacket on air, the patter with interact with the pixels of the camera. This is way you will see mostly solid colors on TV or at least larger patterns.

One test you can do to see if I am correct, is to take your material on the oven door and rotate it several degrees and render a short test. If I am right, that flicker will either get better, worse or perhaps disappear but that is unlikely since the camera is moving and so the angles are constantly changing.

So my theory can easily tie in with @maru's idea of increasing the passes and/or render size. The more pixels, the smoother the result. There's a catch. You can render at 4k and it looks perfect, but when you sample down to HD or any online compression, you may re-introduce some of the flicker. Most likely, it will be less but also softer output overall which could be good or less good.

The rest of the scene seems smooth to me, even the sparkles on the stove burners are smooth. I believe there's a way to render just a portion of the frame. Maybe in that output, you can crank up the passes or what the others have suggested to reduce the render times.