Author Topic: Added support for normalbump, Hair&Fur  (Read 14594 times)

2013-03-01, 10:46:27
Reply #15

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2013-03-01, 11:07:36
Reply #16

Paul Jones

• Active Users
    • View Profile
also some shading artefacts on the faces of the RH sphere, maybe a smoothing issue?

2013-03-01, 11:12:35
Reply #17

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The shading artifacts are the "terminator effect" it's just from a low subdivisions of the sphere. The problem is tangent map used for normal mapping. I haven't had problems using object space normal maps, so until it's fixed I guess you could bake your normals in object space if you need normal mapping.

2013-03-01, 11:54:46
Reply #18

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
The shading artifacts are the "terminator effect" it's just from a low subdivisions of the sphere. The problem is tangent map used for normal mapping. I haven't had problems using object space normal maps, so until it's fixed I guess you could bake your normals in object space if you need normal mapping.
Here is local XYZ, but also not good(
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2013-03-02, 20:40:41
Reply #19

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Alright, so I've looked at the scene you provided...

First of all, you do not override gamma settings on normal and displacement maps. You should always set it to "use image default gamma" to use the gamma settings they were created with and since you used 8bit jpeg with 2.2 even "system default" would work.

Another thing is that to get tangent normal somehow look alive with corona you have to use higher bump values(i used 10 in this image)
However some shading issue appears to cause that noise on the sphere with normal map and it doesn't go away... I tried playing with max shading normal difference but that makes the whole normal mapping fade away.

2013-03-03, 09:44:17
Reply #20

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
In this case, the bump is much more correct fit.
Corona - the best rendering solution!