Author Topic: Corona Plastic Material (Grant Warwicks Method)  (Read 8756 times)

2015-03-07, 20:25:06

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.
I tried to apply Grants approach on creating realistic plastic materials in Corona. I used standard blend for mixing materials and a falloff mask for blending the two. Sadly only two materials can be blended and there isnt any extra slots for the 3rd or 4th materials. Im not getting a good result out of this. Is there something wrong with my material setting? Has anyone done this in corona with decent results and how?

P.S: I read the ggx thread but couldnt find any pipelines or solutions to do this in corona.

2015-03-07, 20:32:45
Reply #1

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Firstly you need to change the IOR to 999 to deactivate it and allow the falloff curve to control IOR.
Secondly, in the GGX thread there are diagrams showing the nesting concept with multiple blend maps, however I will repost.
Although for Gold the concept is the same, you can also download the material off CML:

http://coronamaterials.com/

2015-03-07, 20:46:37
Reply #2

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Firstly you need to change the IOR to 999 to deactivate it and allow the falloff curve to control IOR.
Secondly, in the GGX thread there are diagrams showing the nesting concept with multiple blend maps, however I will repost.
Although for Gold the concept is the same, you can also download the material off CML:

http://coronamaterials.com/

Thanks dude ive been looking for this like forever! one question tho, the IOR value in all the base,coat and gloss materials must be set to 999, right?

2015-03-07, 21:13:49
Reply #3

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yep, if the material IOR is driven by a Falloff Map then the standard IOR needs to be off.

2015-03-08, 07:57:21
Reply #4

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried to recreate the plastic using multiple blended materials with different ref glossiness and falloff map used for reflections. What do you think of it? Any suggestions to make this better?

2015-03-08, 12:55:25
Reply #5

agentdark45

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't need multiblended IOR materials anymore now that we have CGX built into Corona 1.0?
Vray who?

2015-03-08, 13:40:44
Reply #6

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't need multiblended IOR materials anymore now that we have CGX built into Corona 1.0?

Are you saying that by only entering the fresnel value we get realistic shaders? Cause I for one havent been getting anything decent.

2015-03-08, 14:35:15
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Well, Corona 1.0 has GGX, which makes using blended materials for as elementary things as plastic obsolete. The blending method was only to fake the tail falloff of more sophisticated BRDFs. There is no reason to do that thing with GGX. Actually, there was no reason to do that thing even with ashikhim-shirley BRDF corona used previously. There was reason to do that only with VrayMTL, because it used really, i mean really cheesy and terrible Blinn BRDF.

So doing these stunts will only rarely make your materials look better, but it will definitely make them render a lot slower ;)

2015-03-08, 15:31:43
Reply #8

mrjojo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, Corona 1.0 has GGX, which makes using blended materials for as elementary things as plastic obsolete. The blending method was only to fake the tail falloff of more sophisticated BRDFs. There is no reason to do that thing with GGX. Actually, there was no reason to do that thing even with ashikhim-shirley BRDF corona used previously. There was reason to do that only with VrayMTL, because it used really, i mean really cheesy and terrible Blinn BRDF.

So doing these stunts will only rarely make your materials look better, but it will definitely make them render a lot slower ;)

Thanks man. Very informative.