Author Topic: Dirt map?  (Read 22477 times)

2013-12-05, 10:02:39

spawn5891

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been playing with corona for the past couple of months. I'm sure that it's going to be one of the best render engines in it's class. I have some topics that i'm not very happy with...but the most important is that every cristal clear render done in corona is soooo clean...too clean :). Don't get me wrong...it's a good thing...but some times i find myself trying to use a vray dirt map for occlusions and ruffing up the render. It's something that can be done in post production sometimes...but it would be a very very VERY usefull thing to have in the material options. Is there a way to obtain this effect allready and i'm wasting my keyboard here? :D

Thx corona forum...

2013-12-05, 10:09:45
Reply #1

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
In the history of rendering, dirt map was also often called ambient occlusion map. An universal short "AO" was often used for it. May that be your guide.

2013-12-05, 11:03:01
Reply #2

spawn5891

• Active Users
    • View Profile
AO is very usefull as an plane intersection solution (wall and ceeling for exemple) but what about situations like this one? ( floor and kitchen island touching area ) I feel like ao pass is just not enough :)
Thx

http://www.3dmacher.com/daten/forum/3.jpg 

2013-12-05, 11:27:48
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I'm 90% sure in the picture you showed there is no AO/dirt map/whatever you call it used. The effect of corners and thin gaps being darker than the surrounding environment is natural and should be provided by GI only. Using AO in such situations is adding fake additional darkness to those areas.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2013-12-05, 11:44:13
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
AO is very usefull as an plane intersection solution (wall and ceeling for exemple) but what about situations like this one? ( floor and kitchen island touching area ) I feel like ao pass is just not enough :)
Thx

http://www.3dmacher.com/daten/forum/3.jpg

To get darker corners you need to decrease albedos of the materials and compensate the overall brightness with exposure. One typical error people keep doing again and again is setting albedos too high to compensate for not using linear workflow. This will not only increase significantly your render time, but also wash away all the little shadows in corners. AO should be only used to create custom shaders simulating dirt/wear&tear look, not to set up lighting of the scene in any way.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2013-12-05, 13:28:25
Reply #5

spawn5891

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you, very usefull info.

2013-12-05, 13:43:29
Reply #6

LKEdesign

• Active Users
  • I'm addicted to Corona Render and I need NO cure.
    • View Profile
    • LKE Design Web-site
Keymaster, have you considered getting in touch with Matthias Senz from enRichPro (making RichDirt) - I have already been talking to him about Corona and he seems interested in porting RichDirt to Corona to. if you are interested I can give you his contact data.
All the best,
LKE Design
See my work at: http://www.lkedesign.dk/en/portfolio_en.html

2013-12-05, 14:02:08
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I guess it could be done with a shading API, I will try to release it sometimes before A6. Or I can find other solution if he contacts me.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-15, 20:20:17
Reply #8

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Any news about Richdirt support ? Its one of the best texturing/post related plugins ever, it is a game changer for exterior visualisations and can be quite useful for some interiors too and would be awesome if corona could support it. Of course it would be even better if it could be implemented using like you wrote "other solution" - cause, for one, I don't want to buy another licence if Matthias decides to release special version for Corona only and for two, I think conversion of some old v-ray based assets\scenes would be much easier this way. Yet still I'll will buy it again if there is no other method than to rewrite it specifically for Corona.
P.s I don't know, maybe I should post that as a separate feature request ?       

2014-04-10, 00:45:31
Reply #9

Dollmaker

• Active Users
    • View Profile
RichDirt support is required for Corona.. its the best solution for dirt.. btw AO is not dirt.. if you check out RichDirt you will know the difference. RichDirt rock.. Corona need it :) Waiting for you guys to make it happen :D Thanks :)

2014-04-10, 02:02:15
Reply #10

LKEdesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LKE Design Web-site
RichDirt is for sure a VERY cool tool. I have used it with MR for 1-2 years and it can really give things a push towards realism.

I am frequently in contact with Matthias from EnrichPro - the producer of RichDirt. I have been trying to convince him that Corona should be his next move. I caught him probably at a very bad time, as it was at the time Vray 3 was about to release - and he was struggling to get an update ready for this.

Matthias is a little worried about if he will earn enough porting Richdirt to Corona. There are many render engines out there, and its always a little lottery to pick the next to port to, - and see if the programming effort gets payed off. I really try to convince him that Corona is a sure and safe pick for next porting - especially for the archviz world - which, I guess, may be seen as his main customers.

I don't know how much work there is in porting RichDirt to Corona - but I would for sure recommend Ondra to contact Matthias for a chat about a common effort in getting RichDirt working with Corona. I am sure a push from other users of Corona would make the decision  easier. So please go in at http://www.enrichpro.com/en/richdirt/contact.html and give Matthias a push towards the light :o)
All the best,
LKE Design

2014-09-27, 03:52:29
Reply #11

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
Any news about RichDirt support for Corona ?

AO canĀ“t replicate the same as VrayDirty or RichDirt. If it can, please, give a clue about it ! :) Vray Dirty has adjusts like Spreading in Axis with separated parameters... And RichDirt looks AWESOME !

Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2014-10-24, 03:50:22
Reply #12

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
Bueller... Bueller. :)
Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2015-01-11, 09:18:21
Reply #13

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'll just bump this one because it would be an invaluable time saver :)

2015-01-11, 23:25:11
Reply #14

LKEdesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • LKE Design Web-site
No news, Matthias from enRich Pro is still reluctant porting to "unknown" renders. He say he can't afford it.
I think he need to be pushed from as many as possible from the Corona community to see the light.
A chat with Keymaster might help to. As I have said before, I have no idea how much work there is in porting RichDirt to Corona, and maybe a chat between Matthias and Keymaster would enlighten this, and could inspire Matthias to start porting. I have tried the best I could to animate him to do it, but it seems like I didn't succeed.
All the best,
LKE Design

2023-03-22, 11:37:58
Reply #15

aeviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi all,

Sorry for digging up the thread, I thought it looked like the right place to ask my question...

I was wondering, is there a way to do a RichDirt-like mapping with Corona now (v9)?

I'd use it mainly for applying the stains only on the upper parts of concrete or metallic structures and, of course, decals would make this too tedious a work (unless I'm missing something).

If not, could this be added to the AO or curvature map as an additional (direction or XYZ degree + strenght) parameter?

Thanks!

2023-03-22, 14:16:15
Reply #16

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Corona AO has directional offset feature since forever. Give it a try, it might not be as sophisticated as dedicated tool like RichDirt, but nonetheless you can quite easily achieve convincing weathering effect with Corona AO.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-03-22, 17:17:50
Reply #17

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Yup, we have:

AO map - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+AO+Map
Curvature map - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Curvature+Map
Triplanar map (can be used to apply an effect only to the top/side of an object) - https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Triplanar+Map
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-03-22, 20:09:11
Reply #18

aeviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for the quick replies! Will try all the suggestions asap.
« Last Edit: 2023-03-22, 20:13:21 by aeviz »