Author Topic: something big is coming !  (Read 12443 times)

2014-03-28, 15:02:19
Reply #15

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Well... my point is... at work, we got quite a big renderfarm that can render the sequence in about 6-8 hours... but when i calculated electricity comnsumption and added some fee for renting the computers, it was still over a dozen times cheaper than what rebus offers :)

2014-03-28, 15:12:09
Reply #16

lhenix

• Active Users
    • View Profile
呵呵~!

2014-03-28, 15:22:43
Reply #17

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Well... my point is... at work, we got quite a big renderfarm that can render the sequence in about 6-8 hours... but when i calculated electricity comnsumption and added some fee for renting the computers, it was still over a dozen times cheaper than what rebus offers :)

you should then start your own renderfarm, you will make a fortune ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-03-28, 15:40:49
Reply #18

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

you should then start your own renderfarm, you will make a fortune ;)

Yup...  i wish those computers at work would be mine :D I can still at least render animations for free there, though :)

2014-03-28, 15:46:31
Reply #19

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
I found out what big thing is coming, this cake!

2014-03-28, 15:53:36
Reply #20

Rebus farm

• Active Users
    • View Profile

then you are a lucky guy
its always cheaper to use own hardware  - if someone can ;-)

another example I did with "the beast"
feature=youtu.be
220 euro 750 frames - bucket engine 7passes --> just 3 hour

2014-03-28, 16:49:31
Reply #21

Rebus farm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
rendering still images you have 2 options

bucket engine  - it render the image until all passes are done but here you not know the render costs

progressive - you cen set the render costs in advace!
the beast eat the scene until all euro are spend - you get the highest possible passes worth the money
how many passes denpend on the scene and resolution

you have 2 choise - best quality but not know the price and konw the price but not the quality

i guess monday i am done with all my testings and i go live

2014-03-28, 17:16:48
Reply #22

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
expensive? I found it extremely cheap. I am not doing animations usually. But having high res render quickly for 7-15euros max is really funny price for me.
Not mentioning the hassle with managing PC's at home, licences, noise and heat. I sure want to have a few spare machines at home for test. I do sometimes use small 40machine renderfarm which my friends have, but for big scale commercial project, renderfarm is the right choice. I will simply put extra line in my quote to my client as "External renderfarm" and let clients pay extra for that. Simple.

Simple...ok. 7-15 euros for still is your price, Peter Guthrie mentioned in Venice around 70 euros per still, which is close to price I found to get. The moment you quote your client additional 4000-12 000 euros simply for rendering, you realize you can just buy the HW for it and keep it for additional projects as well, thus keeping the value, not only transfering it.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-03-28, 20:17:34
Reply #23

AdamHotovy

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Corona Heisenberg
    • View Profile
    • Corona Renderer
expensive? I found it extremely cheap. I am not doing animations usually. But having high res render quickly for 7-15euros max is really funny price for me.
Not mentioning the hassle with managing PC's at home, licences, noise and heat. I sure want to have a few spare machines at home for test. I do sometimes use small 40machine renderfarm which my friends have, but for big scale commercial project, renderfarm is the right choice. I will simply put extra line in my quote to my client as "External renderfarm" and let clients pay extra for that. Simple.

Simple...ok. 7-15 euros for still is your price, Peter Guthrie mentioned in Venice around 70 euros per still, which is close to price I found to get. The moment you quote your client additional 4000-12 000 euros simply for rendering, you realize you can just buy the HW for it and keep it for additional projects as well, thus keeping the value, not only transfering it.

70euros = cheap.
yes you can buy machines, but do not forget for the price of the SW, time spent on installing it, networking and debuging, heat, noise, electricity. I do plan 4 workstations and 4-6 renderslaves. But with all of that, i am still not able to render 5min animation in couple of hours.... Especially my clients will not wait, they are happy to pay to get it fast (at least for anim project). We have just put quoute with 3k just for rendering on external farm.
Try calculator on rebusfarm. http://www.rebusfarm.net/en/lets-go/calculator
I put 1 image 12 hours on my machine = 11 GBP. super cheap
I like turtles.

2014-03-28, 22:21:55
Reply #24

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Alright, we disagree there, 3k is on verge, but multiple of that is something I would rather invest and reap the benefits for multiple projects, even if it is mere 5-10perc. of budget, I see it as money wasted. As for the rest (SW, HW, managing,etc..), that is for longer discusssion with so many variables and we have different opinions seemingly.
I know the calculator, I've done my math. It's not "cheap" to me, and that is hardly because I don't budget enough.
I do agree completely on the speed benefit, no amount of home farm will equal to resources of cloud and for it, they are extremely helpful, but I don't find the "it's extremely cheap" to be supportive argument of that. It's obviously not for everyone.

« Last Edit: 2014-03-28, 23:05:15 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-03-28, 23:58:42
Reply #25

AdamHotovy

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Corona Heisenberg
    • View Profile
    • Corona Renderer
Alright, we disagree there, 3k is on verge, but multiple of that is something I would rather invest and reap the benefits for multiple projects, even if it is mere 5-10perc. of budget, I see it as money wasted. As for the rest (SW, HW, managing,etc..), that is for longer discusssion with so many variables and we have different opinions seemingly.
I know the calculator, I've done my math. It's not "cheap" to me, and that is hardly because I don't budget enough.
I do agree completely on the speed benefit, no amount of home farm will equal to resources of cloud and for it, they are extremely helpful, but I don't find the "it's extremely cheap" to be supportive argument of that. It's obviously not for everyone.

You are right - Ihave to admit, that I lack certain technical level, and option of buying more hw is a bit stressfull idea to me. So that's why I see it as "cheap option" as it will save me time and nerves. I will use it mostly for finals or in extreme time pressure- I mean for stills. For animations , renderfarms will be probably my weapon of choice.
I like turtles.

2014-03-29, 00:07:42
Reply #26

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
So i have this little animation i am working. First piece to put in my future reel. It's 450 frames...  just 18 seconds of animation. There is motion blur, particles and stuff...  but i managed to get it on a nice 60 minutes/frame on my older i7 870...

I intend to render it at work, where we have farm... but just out of curiosity, i tried rebusfarm...  i opened calculator, entered my amount of frames and rendertime, clicked calculate andHOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!!! almost 400€...  incredible...  i expected renderfarms to be expensive... but not THIS expensive...  wow...  i will probably never use any renderfarm at THESE prices :O

Hahaha that was the same reaction with me and one friend who wanted to use vray for a scene, he was like : WHAAAT dafuq is that :D, he just took his pc and mine with other 2 pc of his friends and it's done !