Author Topic: Corona in 2022: new features, visuals, licensing, and more!  (Read 11483 times)

2021-11-16, 15:38:13

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona 8 in 2022 will be a release like no other: new tone mapping, decals, Chaos Scatter, Chaos Cosmos, changes for new subscriptions — even a new logo! Let's explore it together in our latest blog post:

https://blog.corona-renderer.com/corona-in-2022-new-features-visuals-licensing-and-more/
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-11-17, 14:30:26
Reply #1

kanyno

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2021-11-17, 14:39:39
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you share more about what you mean? There's nothing bad there for existing customers, since nothing changes (pricing, or render nodes) for any subscriptions started from before the release of Corona 8 (other than getting all the new goodies).

2021-11-17, 15:49:26
Reply #3

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
There is a lot of good stuff in here for sure. Very happy to see Cryptomattes and the new tone mapping!

I hope the new pricing for render nodes does not mean an increase in our cost for cloud rendering though.

Either way it looks to be a big leap for Corona. Now lets just make it even fast please :) haha

2021-11-18, 09:32:04
Reply #4

igorhmc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice!!!

Im searching a word of hope to see if it will be something related to chaos vantage in the future

Can you answer that if is possible?

Thanks

2021-11-18, 16:47:49
Reply #5

3DsChobo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd still like some further clarification to the licensing changes. Please correct me if any of the following statements is wrong.

So if I understand correctly a "standard" yearly corona subscription will always include one gui AND one Render license which is floating to whereever it is needed within the same network.
In other words there is no GUI only license that i need to subscribe to in addition to a render only license. right?

So if we are a Company of 10 Artists with a Renderfarm of 5 Computers we need 10 corona subsriptions and 5 render only licenses so that everyone can render simultaneously on their workstations as well as on the farm?

Furthermore it was stated that no running subscription will change as long as we keep it active. But I don't assume this continuation to be indefinite or is it?

2021-11-18, 17:08:08
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Correct, standard subscription is one GUI, one Render Node, so that covers you for opening Max/C4D and using Corona and rendering on any single machine (the one you are working on using the GUI, or another one if you so choose, so long as you don't also render on the one you are working on :) ). The end examples in the blog cover this.

Correct on the 10 artists and 5 computers as a farm (assuming you mean 10 computers used by artists to work on, with 5 other machines off in a corner somewhere only used for rendering). The end examples in the blog cover this.

Correct that if you have an existing subscription, and keep it renewing, you keep the same render nodes (and pricing) that you currently have. There is no mention of whether this is "indefinite" because in 10 years, who knows what the situation may be - the same pricing and nodes while continuing to renew is the plan for now, with no date or plan set or being considered for that to change.

2021-11-18, 19:04:40
Reply #7

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Furthermore it was stated that no running subscription will change as long as we keep it active. But I don't assume this continuation to be indefinite or is it?

We cannot promise anything in "indefinite" horizon - there might be hyperinflation that would force us to increase prices, the company leadership will one day have to retire and leave the company to people they do not control, the rendering might become a solved problem and we might release Corona as open source, and there could be anything inbetween. Our current long term plan is to keep the same price level we had from the beginning. We will observe how the details we are now changing work, and they might be adjusted based on these observations. So it is highly unlikely that you would see any dramatic changes soon, but we cannot predict what the future holds.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2021-11-18, 20:47:42
Reply #8

3DsChobo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you for that clarification! Keeping the conditions the same for the forseeable future of course is a great thing.

I somehow assumed something like any running subscription will continue as is until its date of renewal and after that be converted to the new model if we so wish.

But in the end everything is awesome...
as always with you guys...

2021-11-22, 09:57:37
Reply #9

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great work, guys! Looking forward to it. :)

2021-11-24, 18:24:56
Reply #10

Remi_Tribia

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well... Could you just fix the damn Render To Texture Corona_AO element? It's been more than a year, 2 major releases, and still nothing has changed, you just need to switch 2 colors...
In the meantime we're stuck to version 5.2 to render AO maps... YAY 🥳

2021-11-24, 20:02:17
Reply #11

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well... Could you just fix the damn Render To Texture Corona_AO element? It's been more than a year, 2 major releases, and still nothing has changed, you just need to switch 2 colors...
In the meantime we're stuck to version 5.2 to render AO maps... YAY 🥳

Post that in the feedback threads or feature requests please, developers won't necessarily see the request here. Thanks!

2021-11-30, 21:16:57
Reply #12

GraceKellyPerfect

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I m very interested how Chaos will handle marketing on their site of two products which do the same thing (Vray and Corona). It is like Autodesk situation with Maya and 3ds Max. Hopefully they can flesh out differences of both programs better than autodesk.

2021-11-30, 22:28:15
Reply #13

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
I m very interested how Chaos will handle marketing on their site of two products which do the same thing (Vray and Corona). It is like Autodesk situation with Maya and 3ds Max. Hopefully they can flesh out differences of both programs better than autodesk.

Easy, Corona makes stuff look better than Vray....problem solved hehe :)

2021-12-24, 13:48:57
Reply #14

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same way Volkswagen keeps selling Seat & Skoda. After my Volkswagen I drive a Skoda now and am much more pleased with the service & maintenance. Nemetchek has Vectorworks & Archicad. I think its actually an advantage, people like options, Chaos provides.