Author Topic: Further speedup of interactive rendering  (Read 3794 times)

2020-06-09, 17:58:53

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interactive rendering is THE main reason I use Corona. I love it!

But as I was fiddling around just now in the Render Settings Devel/Experimental rollout I was thinking, besides changing the UHD Cache precision, what can one change to further speedup IR in that specific rollout?

2020-06-09, 19:25:54
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You probably won't like it, but there is a way to massively speedup IR. You need to go to render setup system settings and set upscaling to 2 (can't recall exact naming, but you should be able to find it) - that surely will boost IR.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2020-06-09, 22:40:13
Reply #2

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, this actually helps when setting up lighting :-) Thanks romullus!

2020-06-10, 17:46:28
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Some ways to make IR faster / more responsive at the cost of overall quality:
I suggest saving the "regular" render settings as a backup. Then using these ones only when in need of ultimate IR speedup:

- Performance > Gi vs AA 8
- Performance > LSM 1
- Performance > MSI as low as possible without the image becoming very dark (10?)
- Performance > Max ray depth as low as possible without getting problems with reflections / refractions and lighting (7?)
- Performance > Enable "force path tracing" for IR
- System > System settings > set IR threads to 0
- Devel / debug > IR subsampling set to 4 (this will give you huge pixels at the first IR pass, but it will be faster)
- Scene > Enable clay material override
- Scene > Enable solid color environment override

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-06-10, 19:30:24
Reply #4

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you MarcĂ­n! Always helpful to know ;-)

2020-06-13, 11:57:38
Reply #5

hldemi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What I noticed about GI vs AA is that lowering the value is very similar to lowering the passes. For example I use 20 passes for IR as default. When I lower GI vs AA to 8 I get almost identical image as default GI vs AA value at 8 passes. So its easier to just lower the passes since this does not impact my non IR rendering. Both takes same amount of time to finish too.

2020-06-15, 17:30:16
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What I noticed about GI vs AA is that lowering the value is very similar to lowering the passes. For example I use 20 passes for IR as default. When I lower GI vs AA to 8 I get almost identical image as default GI vs AA value at 8 passes. So its easier to just lower the passes since this does not impact my non IR rendering. Both takes same amount of time to finish too.

You are right. Setting GIvsAA to 16 and rendering 4 passes will result in almost identical overall quality as when setting GIvsAA to 8 and rendering 8 passes. More info: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000526159
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-06-15, 17:39:17
Reply #7

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yes, lowering passes I already do on a regular basis in IR. To me, no need to mess with GI/AA balance.