Significantly faster DOF (Depth of Field) rendering
25 (5.4%)
Sketch/Toon/Stylized shader
29 (6.2%)
Dedicated CarPaint Shader
7 (1.5%)
Dedicated fabrics shader
27 (5.8%)
Lightmix extended to materials, textures, ...
27 (5.8%)
Interactive rendering in 3ds max viewport (with gizmos, object selection, manipulation, ...)
16 (3.4%)
Rendering memory usage improvements
16 (3.4%)
Speed of rendering improvements
42 (9%)
Speed of interactive rendering improvements specifically
31 (6.7%)
GPU/Hybrid rendering
88 (18.9%)
Stability improvements (bug fixes)
12 (2.6%)
Improvements to caustics
23 (4.9%)
Thin film/coating shader
5 (1.1%)
Parsing performance optimization (e.g. for animations)
40 (8.6%)
New and better frame buffer (docked and floating)
23 (4.9%)
Further improvements to Chaos Scatter
15 (3.2%)

Total Members Voted: 178

Author Topic: The most wanted feature?  (Read 524334 times)

2018-04-17, 13:23:51
Reply #480

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Just a sidenote, just to display albedo, we would need at least 4, but probably 8 additional bytes per pixel...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-04-17, 14:03:15
Reply #481

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Then please no, albedo doesn't worth single additional byte if it couldn't be turned off. I had low memory situations many times more, than i have used albedo pass.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-04-17, 14:19:56
Reply #482

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
yep, this is why I prefer to have having it as explicit opt-in by adding the pass
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-04-18, 09:54:41
Reply #483

benkodesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Then please no, albedo doesn't worth single additional byte if it couldn't be turned off. I had low memory situations many times more, than i have used albedo pass.

A FullHD pic means +16MB RAM, a 4K means +64MB RAM, I think it's not much. Displacement, Proxies and those hundreds of textures eats the RAM. When rendering is out of memory that 64MB won't save anybody's life...

2018-04-18, 10:28:14
Reply #484

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
The thing is that you'll have 8 bytes per pixel here, 4 bytes per pixel there, 1 additional byte per instance isn't a deal breaker either... and in the end you have a death of a thousand cuts and no single place where you can do any memory significant savings.

64 MB can still be pretty significant in situations where the scene almost fits in the memory.

I definitely agree that this should remain an opt-in feature. Maybe it would make sense to add some kind of "there's probably a wrong albedo somewhere in the scene, add albedo element to find out" warning in the future.

2018-04-18, 11:26:51
Reply #485

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Exactly, those megabytes adds very quickly. And if albedo will be permanently added to VFB, i will definitely ask for sampler info pass as well, because that info is much more useful to me than albedo :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-04-18, 11:28:21
Reply #486

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
What would make sense is some "conserve memory" checkbox that sumarilly turns on/off certain features, such as auto-albedo pass, auto-sampling focus pass, low-memory embree, etc.

2018-06-21, 18:03:32
Reply #487

Fallen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just posted this in another post but a specular pass would be amazing.

Cheers

2018-06-21, 20:12:19
Reply #488

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed

We already have it: reflection.

Specular in CG graphics is just a fast fake approximation of actual reflection. In the 'real world', there is no such thing as 'specular'.

2018-06-22, 10:07:27
Reply #489

Fallen

• Active Users
    • View Profile

We already have it: reflection.

Specular in CG graphics is just a fast fake approximation of actual reflection. In the 'real world', there is no such thing as 'specular'.

The specular Pass is not just a approximation of reflection, whatever that means, it is the highlighted area of reflections.

Non the less if people are asking for it why not have it? it improves peoples workflows and post production retouchers here keep asking for it.

No one said it has to be removed from the reflections pass.

2018-06-22, 13:42:47
Reply #490

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
There is no such thing as specular in Corona though. This is what the previous poster meant - in the real world, there is no such thing as specular either, it is purely reflection, and Corona works the same way. Specular was something invented in computer graphics back when doing full reflections was not always possible (hardware wasn't what it is today :) ) in order to give a faked impression of the reflection from a light source, and was a way of faking what happens in the real world; and it's a fake that Corona does not have - so I would guess a specular pass is impossible, since there is no specular in the rendering.

Not sure if doing some post processing on the reflections pass, to filter it to particularly high brightness, would give the desired result, but it's the closest thing to what specular was faking (reflections of bright light sources). Of course where specular faked it with always perfectly rounded shapes, the reflections pass would have the actual shape of the light source in there, so still not exactly the same :)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-06-23, 00:47:34
Reply #491

Lord Kelvin

• Active Users
  • Pee is stored in the Balls
    • View Profile
PBR! Cmon everybody! Sing it with me now! PBR!
Get back to work peasant!

2018-06-23, 01:19:22
Reply #492

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
PBR! Cmon everybody! Sing it with me now! PBR!

YES! Exactly my thoughts. This is the new gold standard. At the VFX company I work at, Scanline as a look dev and lighting supervisor, over the last year I've been hard at work slowly converting everyone over to PBR, and it is yielding fantastic results. Much better looking assets that behave much more predictably to physical lights than the old diff/spec work flow.

2018-06-23, 07:46:45
Reply #493

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
PBR will only change workflow, not really output quality. There is nothing that *looks* better with PBR, it just makes good looking things a bit easier to set up if your input is PBR set of maps. But talking about just a raw material, anything an average PBR material, such as Disney PBR, can do, can be replicated using CoronaMTL.

If we are talking about Principled material, then it's really just a workflow difference, not quality difference. Of course, I am not implying we should not have it. I am just saying that it won't make anything look magically better.

2018-06-23, 11:28:16
Reply #494

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
No one was questioning whether the CoronaMTL can support PBR style shaders. Setting up PBR style shadering standards is possible in any renderer that supports GGX or a similar microfaceting BRDF, it's not just a Disney PBR thing.

There's nothing magic about it, and it's not just a workflow difference. But the results speak for themselves: less time to set up when adhering to energy conservation guidelines, and surfaces that behave more physically accurately and scale linearly in response to light exposure changes which leads to less work to tweak in comp to final a shot, all adds up to an increase in the quality output of work.