Author Topic: Stone roof  (Read 226 times)

2024-04-30, 10:44:55

Drago991

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,
I'm trying to recreate this type of roof, but with poor results...does anyone have any suggestions to create it procedurally(maybe even using some plugins/scripts)?
This is the type of roof created in the regions of northern Italy and is made thanks to the processing of particular stones.

Thanks for any tips

« Last Edit: 2024-04-30, 13:59:08 by maru »

2024-04-30, 14:00:37
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
There are multiple ways to do it, but it looks like a perfect task for the Corona Pattern Modifier: https://docs.chaos.com/display/CRMAX/Corona+Pattern+Modifier
Model a single tileable segment of the roof tiles (it can be very detailed), then populate the roof area with that segment.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-04-30, 15:55:46
Reply #2

Drago991

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, it could work, but I noticed that on the edges of the roof it would leave a void in the pattern...also I can't rotate, move, scale or overlap the tiles. 
Instead another system to have more control and be able to place more types of stones (being very random even if similar) and above all to be able to cut without leaving holes on the edges?

2024-04-30, 16:00:08
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok, it could work, but I noticed that on the edges of the roof it would leave a void in the pattern...also I can't rotate, move, scale or overlap the tiles. 
Instead another system to have more control and be able to place more types of stones (being very random even if similar) and above all to be able to cut without leaving holes on the edges?

Have you looked at Railclone?

2024-04-30, 17:39:03
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

You can get rid of any seams and tearing and you can apply transformations to your tiles by adjusting the base object's UVW mapping. For example you can add a UVW Map modifier or UVW Xform modifier:

By the way, there are some premade patterns in Cosmos, like the one in my video. You will find them under 3D Models > Enmesh-Pattern
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-05-01, 02:11:12
Reply #5

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Maru for the video, the UVW Xform modifier is pretty handy.

2024-05-01, 02:15:02
Reply #6

Tom

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As mentioned above, this is a perfect task for RailClone. All you have to do is modelling few slightly different stone elements, say around 10 to avoid any repetition, and spread them with RailClone. I know RC is not free but it's an amazing tool:

2024-05-13, 09:01:53
Reply #7

Drago991

• Active Users
    • View Profile
thank you guys for the help!