Author Topic: Crash with STP Imported Objects with Layered Material + Triplanar Map  (Read 300 times)

2023-03-05, 09:44:15

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I had a crash on a scene which was imported into 3ds Max as an STP file. Just wanted to report. Can't open the scene directly anymore but merge some of the objects.

The scene consists of a seven piece robot arm, which I have linked each piece, top to bottom. Did not collapse the objects. Assigned separate materials to faces in Body Object form.

Then copied each piece one by one, applied a push modifier to slightly push the copied object outward slightly. This would serve as a "glowing" net surrounding the object by a material assigned to it. This net was supposed to somehow ripple upon touch, during animation.

Net material is a layered material -not yet finished- which had a base material and a second material with opacity and self illum. maps, containing Mask map to mask a red Corona Color map with a png file assigned through a Triplanar map. Same without the mask exists in Opacity. I guess I was working on a noise map at the time as a mask to the layered material's layer.

After not being able to assign Face IDs to one piece, (matl. was not showing correctly) saved the file and exited. File doesn't open anymore.

Could merge the robot pieces, but not the net copies. They are copies of the same objects only exception is their materials. They all have the net material.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoFN063z_3UOgdNhZ7xB5Zg9FGNtOw?e=kV4xY7

Here is a link to the file. 90 mb max plus two maps. I thought you might want to check.

2023-03-07, 10:50:33
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

We have tried opening the file, it crashes indeed.
I was able to narrow down the problem - A1 Set is the problematic object, everything else gets merged.

I think it might have been caused by the Push modifier. It will be a good idea to take the original Body object and trying the modifications again, then merge it with the rest.
For example there are known cases of Chamfer modifier causing crash, because of being to detailed or just because of bad geometry. It may crash right when the modifier is applied, it stays there, and the file basically cannot be opened afterwards.

Merging the objects is a known solution.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us