Author Topic: Selection tag for masking  (Read 699 times)

2022-10-21, 02:56:18

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to mask a texture in the roughness channel with selection tags. For example, suppose you want to apply a roughness map to only half of a sphere, how do you do that?

2022-10-21, 06:00:33
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,
I was wondering if it is possible to mask a texture in the roughness channel with selection tags. For example, suppose you want to apply a roughness map to only half of a sphere, how do you do that?

There's, of course, the "default way": Use two materials and assign them to the polygon selections. That's also the most accurate way.
If you want to try something different, you can create a vertex map from the polygon selection and use it as a mask.
I attached an example file.

Maybe there's even a way to mask directly with the poly selection, but at the moment I cannot think of one.

HTH
Michael

2022-10-21, 19:59:49
Reply #2

Mac3DX

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey, thanks for your help. Yes, vertex paint is a choice, but sometimes a little bit tedious. That would be a great feature for Corona's nodes. Saves time and keeps your material library neat and clean.
I'll test material stacking, but it wasn't working when you have complex shaders with displacements, SSS, Volumetrics...

2022-10-21, 20:39:09
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey, thanks for your help. Yes, vertex paint is a choice, but sometimes a little bit tedious. That would be a great feature for Corona's nodes. Saves time and keeps your material library neat and clean.
I'll test material stacking, but it wasn't working when you have complex shaders with displacements, SSS, Volumetrics...

I did not paint a single stroke, I used an existing polygon selection to create the vertex map.
You can also create procedural vertex maps, even for primitives, with the latest version.

But I agree, directly using a poly selections as a mask would be nice, too.