Author Topic: Question about Shadows on Background (Shadow Catcher)  (Read 1009 times)

2022-03-19, 12:00:10

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wonder if there is a way to match the darkness of the shadows of the 3D objects and the background image? (In the 3D software- not in post)

2022-03-19, 16:51:49
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Your scene shadows are overlapping with shadows baked in the backplate, so obviously you won't be able to match them up. You could try to build invisible wall that would cast a shadow matching the one that is already baked in the backplate, but you would need to exclude the backplate from receiving that shadow and AFAIK it's not possible in Corona. I think your only option is to deal with the situation in post.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-03-19, 20:19:22
Reply #2

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I just wondered if there is any way to "blend" the shadow layer with some blending mode like in Photoshop, or like in Corona Mix map.

2022-03-19, 21:55:59
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I'm affraid that's not how the lighting and the shadows work. You can't blend them in some artistic arbitrary manner, at least not in a renderer.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-03-21, 12:47:56
Reply #4

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
If you mean avoiding the "shadow within a shadow" that would not happen in the real world, adding a blocker object to cast a shadow would be the way to go. If you mean matching the darkness of the shadow on the road outside of the "shadow within a shadow", that would have to come from setting correct intensities of skies and suns and other light sources, so lots of tweaking by eye. Or have a shadows pass and do things in post ;)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us