Author Topic: Help on Constantly Crashing Scene  (Read 1693 times)

2020-03-17, 11:49:16

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zSURcrmreRLzAyqOw8jMpMSfClMRTJx9

This is a 3dsmax archive file of a 2350 frame stereoscopic VR animation scene I'm working on.

The scene is created on 3dsmax 2020 Update 3 and frequently crashes (especially after frame 1450) while being rendered with Corona 5.

I've tested the scene with a Ryzen TR PC with 128GB ram, too, so I believe it is not a low memory issue.

The two omni lights at the center of two spherical objects are supposed to emit volumetric lights with 3dsmax's native Environment Volume Light effects. It is visible until frame 1500, and scene rendered fine until around 1450.
After frame 1450 both spheres gradually become invisible (via invisibility), two instanced omni lights' intensity gradually decreases by the Multiplier parameter. They're totally off after frame 1500.
(Rendering time at frames 1450-1500 are relatively long compared to other frames probably due to visibility change. Rendering times change from 3 minutes to 20 minutes)

They're currently both turned off. I have even tried deleting them but I could at best render 50 frames without a crash, and at  worst had an immeadiate crash.

There is an HDR file in Corona Environment and a Sunlight illuminating the scene. One of the two seems to be worsening the isssue as I have once rendered the scene completely without any lights, but only a white colour as Environment. Crashed a few times at the time though.

I appreciate if you can help me find the culprit. Right now I'm sitting in front of the PC waiting to restart rendering at every crash.

2020-03-17, 12:56:06
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Does the Google Drive link include the minidump? Whenever there's a crash, very handy (if not essential) to send a minidump - especially as depending on the cause of the crash, we might not be able to replicate it here, so need to see what was happening on your system at the time of the crash. Full info at https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000524006-how-to-report-issues-3ds-max (and ty if the drive link does include the minidump :) )
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-03-17, 15:43:36
Reply #2

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2020-03-17, 17:12:31
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The scene is pretty interesting. :) Are you sure you're fine with sharing it publicly?

What are the exact steps to replicate the crash? Just hit render?

I haven't checked anything thoroughly yet, but I have two ides:
- try without the 3ds Max atmosphere effect - they are supported, but can sometimes cause headaches
- try without the Intel denoiser

I will hand the minidump to our dev team.

Logged the initial version:
(Internal ID=479368724)
« Last Edit: 2020-03-17, 17:18:18 by maru »
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2020-03-17, 18:27:33
Reply #4

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
You'd better watch it on an Oculus Go. It is way more exciting. :) I'll share when it's done.

Just hit render for animation starting from frame 1500-2350. Expect the crash in a few frames. As I've stated in the first message,  I have managed to render 50 frames at a time at its best, but more often it crashes in less than 20 - even 10 frames.

I have deleted the omni lights with their corresponding volume light effect - as it is known to cause problems in Corona Interactive- but it didn't help.
There is also smoke in the air assigned to the Direct Visibility Override slot. I have never considered deleting it.

I've just restarted after a crash from frame 2074. Previously started at 2051. Crashed in 23 frames.

Sorry I forgot to tell, the crash occurs at Parsing Scene phase. I've tried not using the denoiser just before that, to see if it helps, but nope!

2020-03-18, 09:56:26
Reply #5

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Something interesting has happened: After frame 2074, the PC managed to render more than 150 frames. :) It was still rendering at 8.00AM. Crashed around 9.00. :D This scene is about to be completed but I'm still curious about the reason of these crashes. Any developments?

2020-03-18, 12:21:02
Reply #6

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Hi,

We're still investigating this one. We have managed to reproduce the crash once, we will let you know when we have some more info.

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2020-03-18, 16:04:25
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
We have mixed results so far. It crashes as expected on one computer (so we will investigate further), but works like a charm on another one.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us