Author Topic: [solved] Environment Background Switcher Alternative in Corona  (Read 2230 times)

2019-07-11, 08:12:15

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm looking for the Environment/Background Switcher feature alternative in Corona. With E/B Switcher you could assign a different background image (or leave the background a solid color) while illuminating the scene with another environment image.

I have noticed a Corona RaySwitch material type in no time, assuming it would do the trick but couldn't figure out how it works. Direct visibility appears nowhere, Global Illumination is just as assigning the image to the Env. slot.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-12, 14:52:12 by maru »

2019-07-11, 08:20:49
Reply #1

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Environment/Background Switcher feature alternative in Corona.

What exactly does not work for you with the scene overrides?

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-07-11, 09:50:19
Reply #2

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Currently I want to illuminate the objects with the hdr background, but render the background as a solid color (or another background).
I've added the hdr on the Global Illumination (1st) slot. It is also visible in the background.

I can render it with alpha and change the background in post, but I need to see the appearance on that certain background and adjust some material parameters accordingly.
« Last Edit: 2019-07-11, 09:54:08 by Byteman3D »

2019-07-11, 10:09:06
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
So
  • plug your HDRI into Render Setup -> Scene -> Scene Environment -> Single map (or Max environment if you use this one)
  • put a Corona Tonemap Control map into Render Setup -> Scene -> Scene Environment -> Overrides -> Direct visibility override
  • disable all options in the Corona Tonemap Contol (Exposure/Tone mapping/LUT)
  • plug the backgrond map of your choice (CoronaColor for example) into the Corona Tonemap Control map input slot

Remember that you have to restart IR if you want to see changes made to the map.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2019-07-11, 10:25:00
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You need to use enviroment overrides, but not rayswitch material. Here's guide how to properly set up enviromental overrides: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000501978-how-to-set-up-hdri-environment-
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2019-07-11, 13:21:11
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You can use the new Corona Select Map and Material to quickly switch between different environments / background. See: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000057928
You can then plug this in any place you wish:
- 3ds Max environment (8 key dialog) will be visible as background and will illuminate the scene
- Then you can use "use Corona" option in Scene tab as alternative to the 3ds Max enviro (it is exactly the same)
- And you can use the overrides in the Scene tab
Of course you can use the Select Maps in any slot you wish (enviro, direct, reflect, refract,....).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2019-07-11, 23:20:11
Reply #6

Byteman3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you all, very much indeed.

It works perfectly!