Author Topic: Have you seen Fstorm render?  (Read 46825 times)

2016-08-06, 09:16:20
Reply #30

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But to be serious, I think it would be better for everyone to combine the best of both worlds. Use CPU for more complex tasks and then use GPU for stuff like postprocessing, where you apply a relatively simple operation to lots of data.

Does Corona use gpu's at all ?
I think it's such a waste to have powerful gpu's in computer and to not use them at all.
But I understand the argument that you lose the flexibility with GPU and CPU is best used for calculating light transport and complex shaders and all.
But GPU not even used for post processing and denoising ? Sure a gpu can be used efficiently to calculate glare, blurs and post process ? And maybe denoising. Either alone or in combination with the CPU for an even faster speed. Or maybe calculating post processing in parallel with the CPU ? so you don't have to wait a few more seconds for post processing after the render is finished.

2016-08-06, 11:04:04
Reply #31

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-08-06, 11:30:46
Reply #32

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I think it's such a waste to have powerful gpu's in computer and to not use them at all.
It is also waste not to use better sampling techniques, not having optimized SSS/skin/hair shader, not having multilight, etc... it is all about priorities ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-08-08, 10:47:17
Reply #33

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
hi Ryuu, Can you make hardware acceleration for corona denoising...

I definitely can, but the key questions are:

• How long would it take to implement?
  • How much more time would it take to actually achieve any significant speedup?
  • How much of a speedup can we hope to achieve anyway?

Besides those questions, there is another issue with the fact that bloom&glare + denoising now take only a small fraction of the whole rendering time. Imagine you have a 30 minute render, where the denoising takes only the last 2 minutes. Even if we optimize the denoising infinitely (so that it is calculated in zero time), it will actually result in a 28 minute total render time. Amdahl's law is a bitch :)

Does Corona use gpu's at all ?

Not at this moment. The system definitely uses GPU for displaying the VFB, but that is outside of Corona.

I definitely feel your pain. I always buy the high end GPUs + CPUs in the hopes that I will have time to play with some interesting optimizations, only to watch them gather dust for a few years before buying new ones :)

Or maybe calculating post processing in parallel with the CPU ? so you don't have to wait a few more seconds for post processing after the render is finished.

I don't think this is doable. To be able to calculate the post processing effects, you already need to have the whole rendered image. So even when using GPU, you can start the post processing only after the CPU has finished rendering (+ some additional time to transfer data from CPU to GPU). It is certainly possible to have GPU compute post processing on one frame and have the CPU start rendering the next frame in parallel, but that would be a nightmare to implement & debug + it would probably consume significantly more memory.

2016-08-08, 11:14:26
Reply #34

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

Instancing works, you have to select it in the fstorm properties of the instance to work.

So exactly what I said, it doesn't support the native instancing directly ;- ). In all the years of Vray usage, I almost never clicked on the VrayProperties of object. I can't imagine having the need to do so on top.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-08-08, 14:04:23
Reply #35

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
hi Ryuu, Can you make hardware acceleration for corona denoising...

I definitely can, but the key questions are:

• How long would it take to implement?
  • How much more time would it take to actually achieve any significant speedup?
  • How much of a speedup can we hope to achieve anyway?

Besides those questions, there is another issue with the fact that bloom&glare + denoising now take only a small fraction of the whole rendering time. Imagine you have a 30 minute render, where the denoising takes only the last 2 minutes. Even if we optimize the denoising infinitely (so that it is calculated in zero time), it will actually result in a 28 minute total render time. Amdahl's law is a bitch :)

that questions kicks my smaller-brain enough, I have no any idea about that :) people here are always dreaming until zero rendertime comes true :D
btw, the corona trello roadmap which contains kickass features I loved is still in hi priority.. keep rocking ryuu! :D

2016-08-08, 15:05:55
Reply #36

sebastian___

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Or maybe calculating post processing in parallel with the CPU ? so you don't have to wait a few more seconds for post processing after the render is finished.

I don't think this is doable. To be able to calculate the post processing effects, you already need to have the whole rendered image.

I meant in parallel like octane calculates glare and other things during rendering and not at the end.
I just tested FStorm to compare glare and to see if it has the lens distortion capability of Octane and it looks like Octane is much better in this regard. It seems that at least these parts were not programmed by the FStorm developer in Octane.

Compared to I think every other renderer, glare speed and looks in octane is amazing. I don't know how they did it. While changing the glare settings during rendering it's so fast it seems like adjusting a layer in photoshop. An already rendered layer. While in FStorm is much slower.

I remember talks in the past on Adobe forum and how some would say GPU's are for gaming and there's no mixing that with a 2d editor, and then Adobe added GPU support to Premiere, and it made such a huge difference. Not only many effects like color correction and blurs become real-time, but you were able to playback in real-time (24 fps) not just one layer of full hd movie, but several. And with added gaussian blur and color correction on top, without needing to render first.
  I used to think that the reason a program like Premiere can't playback high res movies in realtime because a spinning hdd was not fast enough for that, to move all that data. Seems not.

2016-08-09, 11:37:59
Reply #37

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Architectural visualization & Graphic design
It began to be interesting.I couldn't  believe when I saw this game video :) I thought it was real...

Imagination is more important than knowlege

2016-08-09, 14:55:07
Reply #38

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
SW:B maps make me cry evertim.

Such quality... I love where are in real-time. Exciting times.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-08-09, 15:09:06
Reply #39

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
In all honesty, and as stupid as this may sound, I am holding off investing into anything OTOY related because of crap like this. Voting with my wallet because my livelihood doesn't depend on it.

To be perfectly frank, the C4D Octane integration seems exemplary, really really good but since I can afford to stay on the CPU I will wait for the dust to settle and see how things progress. I do need to reiterate here, Octane C4D seems superbly well done!

Other than that, I think GPUs have a good future ahead of them, the generational leaps we are making so far are, as always, impressive!
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2016-08-09, 15:22:23
Reply #40

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
SW:B maps make me cry evertim.

Such quality... I love where are in real-time. Exciting times.

juraj you have experience with realtime.Can you do such thing with bake or using unreal engine would it take a lot of time ?

2016-08-09, 15:38:36
Reply #41

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah, that can definitely be done in Unreal 4. Frostbite engine isn't probably too different, although they have bigger graphic research team, similar to Crytek's one. Check out their Siggraph and GDC papers on Frostbite 3 PBR, it's incredible where their engine is graphically and the amount of work they put into it.

I am pretty sure they use Enlighten GI on all their games ( SW:B, Mirror's Edge2, DG:I,etc..), which while branded as real-time, is still a precomputed bake.

This kind of quality takes incredible amount of time regardless of platform or engine.

2016-08-09, 15:52:27
Reply #42

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2016-08-09, 15:58:28
Reply #43

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-08-09, 16:02:56
Reply #44

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hmm impressive mesh displacement and teselletion tech.really impressive.this video annoyed me :)