Author Topic: VFB Forgetting Post Process settings  (Read 1813 times)

2023-10-25, 17:35:57

Robot_Redmond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
HI there, apologies if this has already been covered.

My VFB seems to keep forgetting my Post Process settings (Tone mapping, Bloom & Glare etc.)
I have set them to override in each my cameras and I’ve not touched anything in the Render Settings. But, I do change them in the VFB.

As such, I never know what I’m going to get when send off multiple renders.
For example, I set Bloom and Glare to 15 and 8 respectively in the VFB for a particular frame. I then render the same frame again later and it’s reverted back to 20 and 2 respectively.
So, I have to sit by the computer and babysit each frame to tweak the settings as they’re being rendered. I've struggled with this since v6. I'm now on v10 Hotfix 2.

A work-around for this would be to render out multiple CXR files and perform these tweaks in the Corona Image Editor.
But, I saw from an earlier thread (from over 4 and half years ago actually), that this isn’t a feature.

Has anyone experienced this or have an idea how to fix it?
Bonus question- has anyone ever figured out how to render out multiple CXR files?

Thanks in advance for your time. Otherwise, I love the software.

2023-10-25, 18:01:52
Reply #1

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
What do you mean exactly, several cameras which have different settings or do you change (animate) the settings of a single camera?
Do all cameras have a Corona camera tag applied? If you check the camera tag, are the settings there correct?
Also, are you using c4d take manager for rendering?

I have only seen issues with take manager, I can't remember, that I lost the settings otherwise.

2023-10-25, 18:32:46
Reply #2

Robot_Redmond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No Takes and no animating. Just a Stage object with a bunch of key-framed cameras.

Each camera has a Corona tag and each of those tags contain values for Tone mapping and Bloom & Glare.
'Override' has been checked but 'Enabled' has not always been checked, now that I look. I wonder if that's the issue...
If it hasn't been enabled, it might be reverting to the Post Process values in Render Settings.

I'll do an over-night render and report back. Thanks for the response Lollolo, really appreciated.

2023-10-26, 10:37:02
Reply #3

Robot_Redmond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Re-rendered making sure that 'Enabled' was checked on all camera.
Same results- a very forgetful VFB.

Mac Studio M1 Max 64GB
Cinema 4D 2024.1.0
Corona Render 10 Hotfix 2

2023-10-26, 17:09:46
Reply #4

lollolo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I wasn't able to reproduce it, everything working as expected...

Do you have this issue also in IR (interactive rendering) or in final render only?

2023-10-27, 11:34:29
Reply #5

Robot_Redmond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It happens in the final render.
Likely something that I'm doing wrong rather than a bug. I'll have another look.

Thanks for looking at this though. Really appreciated :-)

2023-11-07, 11:40:52
Reply #6

Robot_Redmond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, might (might) have solved it.

I had been thinking that changes to the Post Process settings in the VFB would automatically update those same values on the Corona Camera tag.
It doesn't look like they are. Or, at least not for me.
So, I'm making the adjustments in the VFB to suit then manually updating those values on the Corona Camera tag.

Hope this helps if anyone was getting the same weirdness happening to them.

2023-12-15, 01:36:26
Reply #7

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I had the same problem, you indeec need to copy the settings manually. If you don't know that you are constantly resetting the VFB as I have been doing the past week :-)

2023-12-21, 18:49:46
Reply #8

Robot_Redmond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah, nice to know it wasn't just me then.
Thanks so much for the reply.
Hope you have a nice time over the holidays :-)

2023-12-22, 10:37:39
Reply #9

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Have you tried saving the post-processing config and reloading it (if need be)?

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-12-22, 23:49:16
Reply #10

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
No I did not. But thanks Benjamin. Still, would it not be easier if the settings where not lost at each render ?

2024-01-05, 15:24:34
Reply #11

Robot_Redmond

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Benjamin.

Should we then reload the post-processing config for each individual frame/ camera then?

Again, this means that I can't walk away from my machine and need to babysit each render. So, no overnight rendering or render farms.
As frv has said, it'd be much easier if the settings weren't lost on each render to begin with.

Anyway, a good fix seems to be making the post-processing changes in the camera and not the VFB.
That seems to have worked very well for me. It's just a pain to have to constantly replicate them in the VFB.

2024-01-08, 16:55:08
Reply #12

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In my latest project before a deadline I got confused and just used the simple exposure setting in the VFB that also allows me to use the ACES setting. I don't know really why the camera settings and post settings in the VFB are so hard to understand for all the different overrides and setting locations. Even when I have some grip during some days on a project after a while I forget how and where to set things properly again. Camera photographic settings are not as interactive as simple exposure either.