Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1088401 times)

2016-05-09, 21:56:12
Reply #870

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Is there a way to use this converter externally ? Without opening 3dsMax ?

(alternatively, also re-pathing assets ?)
unfortunately it seems autodesk has pretty firm IP hold over .max and does not allow anybody to view or edit the format, so I would guess not.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-05-09, 22:06:45
Reply #871

MgVrN

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Makes sense especially as it is probably not that common. I've just sat for 4 hours selecting and converting my Corona Mats to Standard. Even if it's just the simples like Diffuse / Bump / Reflection.

It would be such a win to have a button to take 4 hours off my evening.

How do we go about doing this :)

Start with a bunch of flowers and a ton of gratitude...

would be awesome for game dev.

2016-05-09, 22:45:26
Reply #872

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
There is a commercial converter called UMC (Universal Material Converter) that converts mr, Vray, Corona + more to Standard materials. We just bought it for converting materials before export to Unity. Haven't got a link here, but you can find it on Scriptspot.com

2016-05-10, 00:14:00
Reply #873

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is there a way to use this converter externally ? Without opening 3dsMax ?

(alternatively, also re-pathing assets ?)
unfortunately it seems autodesk has pretty firm IP hold over .max and does not allow anybody to view or edit the format, so I would guess not.

I think I vaguely remember Lukas Dubeda having written some script that does something like this though ? Or some part of it.

Nope, and never will. Maxscript only works inside an open max instance. Even if it was written in a different language, no one knows how the .max file format works, you can't access any data in it (not even mentioning the plugins).

:- (

I hate those few Evermotion (and few other) collections I use that are both setup with shitty paths (I don't want to use UserPaths, needs to be setup on every node, export doesn't work well and it's slow as hell), and also saved individually into 50 scenes.

What I do these days I import them together into single scene, convert and then 'save selected' each back into folder. I thought there could be better, more automized well. Well, whatever.
« Last Edit: 2016-05-10, 00:18:53 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-05-10, 04:02:17
Reply #874

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
@Juraj and all others who struggle with manual vray(or whatever else) setup 3d model library to Corona conversions, path relinking etc. Strictly imo and my way of doing things but it may still be useful to someone.

For library management, conversions and saving back to original folder there's no better and handier tool as Project Manager https://3d-kstudio.com/product/project-manager/ out there. I've adopted it for my workflow some 2years and a half ago and there's just nothing better for the job, and aside the fact of it's relatively ugly interface (see Connecter for comparison) it is awesome due to it's functionality and can speed up one's workflow quite considerably.

For the asset relinking purpose itself there's at least three solutions which I can recommend:

- again first being the Project Manager - for it is all around combine\3dsMax's Swiss army knife of a sorts )   
- second being this P.M's separate and all other functionality stripped\made just for this task, little brother - https://3d-kstudio.com/product/filepathfinder-pro/ - it is cheaper but can do only that + render thumbnails for models\ies\materials etc. which is integrated in P.M too and which I use quite frequently if there's no preview files available + from P.M. itself you can just simply select those thumbnailess\previewless and overall quite sad looking files in it's asset browser and simply rightclick-render thumbnails for them which is even handier.

Both abovementioned tools have this little function http://clip2net.com/s/3xQPL9P which, I think, could solve all our large library conversion problems or at least the most annoying and time consuming ones, of course, only, if Martin will be willing to make some custom automatically running converter's version just for that task and give it to us ))

- and the third one being this no less awesome little script http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/bitmap-tracking-resizing - which can do the same albeit not in the automatic fashion - it  is even cheaper but has way less functionality than the two above - but it can do one tremendously useful thing, well actually two - physically rename selected object's textures on HDD and do texture resize + automatically relink those in place of original ones directly from 3dsmax itself - that was the selling point at least to me as that can be invaluable in some specific scenarios.
 Hope that helps as I know what feel so to say ))

2016-05-10, 09:49:10
Reply #875

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
There is a commercial converter called UMC (Universal Material Converter) that converts mr, Vray, Corona + more to Standard materials. We just bought it for converting materials before export to Unity. Haven't got a link here, but you can find it on Scriptspot.com
Yep, that's also what I suggested to the first requester via PM :D

Both abovementioned tools have this little function http://clip2net.com/s/3xQPL9P which, I think, could solve all our large library conversion problems or at least the most annoying and time consuming ones, of course, only, if Martin will be willing to make some custom automatically running converter's version just for that task and give it to us ))
Already possible and easy to do :) The converter can be completely controlled via maxscript: http://www.racoon-artworks.de/CoronaConverter/mxsDocumentation.html
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-05-10, 11:23:18
Reply #876

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Thanks Antanas much, will look into all those.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-05-10, 13:26:23
Reply #877

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile

Already possible and easy to do :) The converter can be completely controlled via maxscript: http://www.racoon-artworks.de/CoronaConverter/mxsDocumentation.html
[/quote]
Ehh if only I would be less of a stupid architect and more of a programmer type ))

2016-05-10, 13:31:24
Reply #878

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Every time a programmer writes "it's easy" I cringe :- ) Easy is clicking a ready-made button in my book.

2016-05-10, 14:26:04
Reply #879

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I don't own this project manager tool so I can't test it myself (donations are welcome :D ) but it is actually really easy:
- look at the maxscript documentation mentioned above. There are 2 example code snippets at the end. Even if you are not a scripter I think you should be able to see the structure and how to set the properties.
- save those lines as a .ms textfile and load it in the project manager post-open Script field.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-05-12, 07:08:43
Reply #880

JG_monomiru

• Active Users
  • JG
    • View Profile
    • www.gehrcken.de
you forgot Relink-Bitmap by Colin Senner which also works for Proxies and stuff...

www.colinsenner.com

2016-05-12, 10:42:14
Reply #881

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Every time a programmer writes "it's easy" I cringe :- ) Easy is clicking a ready-made button in my book.
I cringe even more when users tell us that stuff like fixing terminators or adding support for show map in viewport in materials is easy ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-05-12, 23:58:07
Reply #882

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Just found that standart material's bump strength gets converted from 100 to 3,5 by converter. Is this intentional? Not very convenient when one have to fix strength of all normal maps by hand :[
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-05-15, 14:57:02
Reply #883

Kstudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Kstudio - 3ds Max Plugins & Scripts
For library management, conversions and saving back to original folder there's no better and handier tool as Project Manager https://3d-kstudio.com/product/project-manager/ out there. I've adopted it for my workflow some 2years and a half ago and there's just nothing better for the job...

Thanks for your testimonial.

- and the third one being this no less awesome little script http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/bitmap-tracking-resizing - which can do the same albeit not in the automatic fashion - it  is even cheaper but has way less functionality than the two above - but it can do one tremendously useful thing, well actually two - physically rename selected object's textures on HDD and do texture resize + automatically relink those in place of original ones directly from 3dsmax itself - that was the selling point at least to me as that can be invaluable in some specific scenarios.
 Hope that helps as I know what feel so to say ))

Now you can rename only one selected texture using the menu item "Set Path". (see the attachment image)
I will add options for mass renaming and resizing files to the future version of Project Manager.

2016-05-26, 18:12:31
Reply #884

Ironman2015

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Something weird is happening when I use this script in Max 2016. When I run the script, the converter window pops up and then disappears, but it works fine in Max 2014. Is anyone else having this issue or know of a fix?