Author Topic: DUAL XEON Vs small render farm node  (Read 15238 times)

2014-11-14, 10:26:17

zacuttialberto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I'm ready to renew my workstation and now there is the big question:

Make a work station multifunctional (modeling & rendering station) or make a Modeling workstation supported by a 3/4 machine mini ITX with 2011-v3 i7 proc?

The main thing that i don't know exactly (i never use this kind of solution) is if it's possible to see the result on going like in a rendering workstation or i have to wait the end of the rendering process and then see the result through saved picture managed by backburner?
Will be working the interactive rendering or it will use only the CPU of the modeling workstation.

Any comment or suggest are appreciated.

Best Regards

Alberto

2014-11-14, 16:26:42
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Make a work station multifunctional (modeling & rendering station)?

Yes. Get the best for your money, don't waste single box.

a 3/4 machine mini ITX with 2011-v3 i7 proc?

There is no LG2011 Mini-ITX board, the socket itself is too large to make that possible.

Other questions:

Yes, you can watch progress done using distributed rendering or Backburner (or combination, Backburner using distributed), no need to wait for finish.

this because one my option was to set up a small workstation based on As Rock MB and install a 12 or 18 core XEON.

Single or Dual ? It's unclear and makes big difference ( in thread title you ask about Dual-Xeon, but in the topic you mentioned just single ? Maybe worth clarify.)

« Last Edit: 2014-11-14, 16:33:29 by Juraj_Talcik »
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-11-15, 15:53:39
Reply #2

zacuttialberto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm thinking to go for dual

Ciao

Alberto

2014-11-15, 16:12:32
Reply #3

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Well, I think is the best if you buy an "Manufacturer refurbished" machine. All in one, like Juraj wrote.

But, for the modeling you have to thinking about the Quadro ! And it's deepend what you want...Laptop or desktop ?  Anyway, the best solution is, if you DON'T build your workstation.
If you want to use the Corona, than the GPU you need only for the modeling...For the rendering stronger CPU is the solution, and the DELL is the best !  The warranty for your workstation is only up to you and your budget... I thinking like this...And if you was an gamer...just forget it anything you learned about the motherboard and etc...Because that's an different world

Cheers!
Holy Corona : the materials is the clue.

2014-11-15, 17:53:26
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Well, I think is the best if you buy an "Manufacturer refurbished" machine.

But, for the modeling you have to thinking about the Quadro !

The DELL is the best !  The warranty for your workstation is only up to you and your budget

And if you was an gamer...just forget it anything you learned about the motherboard and etc...Because that's an different world

Please stop.

Why do you give advice on something you have no idea about ? Don't answer, it's rhetorical question.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-11-15, 17:59:59
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I'm thinking to go for dual

Ciao

Alberto

The choice in overall distribution between various i7 and 2p Xeon units depends on your overall budget/comfort preference and many other factors.

Comfort--) Less 'more powerful' machines = higher cost
Budget --) More 'less powerful' machines   = higher maintenance

Any details neccessary over each possible setup can be found here http://forums.cgarchitect.com/13-hardware-technical-discusions/
You just have to search and educate yourself.

2014-11-16, 11:34:17
Reply #6

3dgraphics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello Juray,

do you have some idea about the speed difference between one i7 980x extreme edition and one i7 4930k, more or less?

2014-11-16, 12:14:21
Reply #7

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
do you have some idea about the speed difference between one i7 980x extreme edition and one i7 4930k, more or less?

i7 4930k is faster than i7 980x extreme and better for OC

2014-11-16, 12:47:23
Reply #8

3dgraphics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
ok thanks for the answer! You mean is the price for a new CPU a good buy in regarding of speed difference? I mean it is much faster?

2014-11-16, 12:59:21
Reply #9

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
hello Juray,

30perc. more powerful more or less, I would say both in singlethreade and multithreaded, all due to architecture only. 980X was a beast, and also six-core, so it's not as drastic difference for 3 architecture generations :- ) {Gultfown-->SandyBridge--->IvyBridge}
Contrary to to what Headoff said I would say they overclock almost the same, since IvyBridge(4930k) was not particularly good overclocker.

Are you asking if it's worth upgrade ? I would say not to 4930k. 980X is still sort of league of its own for rendering, so I would aim higher.

2014-11-16, 13:45:27
Reply #10

3dgraphics

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thakns a lot for the information Juray,

I see u are upgrading to the new i7 8 cores CPU, do u have some experience with this one, or references from users?

2014-11-16, 15:09:10
Reply #11

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs
Well, if we talk about upgrade, I agree that 4930k isn't a good idea. Then be better 5820K or even 5960X

2014-11-17, 21:18:00
Reply #12

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Hey Juraj,

your right! I don't have any idea...I have  experience about what I wrote there... And I give JUST an advice for him. Am I wrong...?

Sorry My King ! :D

God bless you!

2014-11-17, 21:22:13
Reply #13

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Hey Juraj,

your right! I don't have any idea...I have  experience about what I wrote there... And I give JUST an advice for him. Am I wrong...?

Sorry but yes :- )

2014-11-17, 21:33:22
Reply #14

Fibonacci

• Active Users
  • 3Dmanufaktura
    • View Profile
Juraj,

Maybe your right, but could you say what I made any mistaken whit my experience? I just tried to give an advice for him. Maybe your is much wider than mine ?

I'm keeping silent and lisening for you. Make me smart.... :)

Keep rockin' !