Author Topic: problem with render resolution  (Read 4775 times)

2015-06-11, 18:04:11

fLuppster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Im probably going to ask a super stupid question, so dont punch me in the face please. ;)

Im trying to render out a foam material:

This image is a fast preview render from a close viewpoint. You can see the displaced surface - everything is fine.

When i go to the final camera and render it out in 4K it looks like this:

Sorry, if the problem is not evident, but the resolution of this surface is simply not high enough, no matter what resolution i take.
Is it maybe no matter of resolution? Is it more a sampling issue? What can i do?

€: Oh any by the way: Already tried to increase the material sampels.
« Last Edit: 2015-06-11, 19:02:32 by fLuppster »

2015-06-11, 19:35:12
Reply #1

Artisticpixel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • artisticpixel
What is the distance between the camera(viewport) and first image and the camera with second image? with your second image is that a 4k image or have you cropped it to show the effect ? do you have DOF on in your 4k render? The further you move from the subject the less sharp it becomes-this happens in real life with cameras too. If it has nothing to do with camera distance or DOF then unfortunately I don't know either.

2015-06-11, 19:44:29
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I think it will be impossible to render a big object with such fine displacement from a distance. This would require lots of lots of lots of lots of polys. You will most likely run out of ram. I would use bump map for fine detail + displacement for bigger features if you really need it. You can also try increasing displacement settings, but... you will most likely run out of ram. :)

Oh any by the way: Already tried to increase the material sampels.
What do you mean?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-06-11, 21:04:05
Reply #3

fLuppster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Image 1: 30cm
Image 2: 200cm

DoF is disabled, because i dont need it. Okay, so i better dont use displacement or such a fine alpha map here.
Sorry for crossposting now, but how would you recreate this material?

The view will be very flat:

I guess the most simple solution is just a good bump map.

2015-06-12, 12:00:53
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I would go for bump map if you don't need ultra-macro shot like the previous ones. Plus SSS if you really need it.

2015-06-12, 15:25:07
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I would bet on texture filtering. If just decrease blur value in your bitmap or procedural texture. Fine textures rendered from distance will lose their detail when using high blur values.

2015-06-12, 16:23:42
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I would bet on texture filtering. If just decrease blur value in your bitmap or procedural texture. Fine textures rendered from distance will lose their detail when using high blur values.
AFAIK blur/filtering is not taken into account for displacement. I may be wrong. Just checked and can't reproduce what OP shows in 1st post. Fine displacement renders ok even if the objects are far away. Can you show material settings? What kind of texture are you using for the displacement?

2015-06-12, 17:52:40
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
AFAIK blur/filtering is not taken into account for displacement. I may be wrong. Just checked and can't reproduce what OP shows in 1st post. Fine displacement renders ok even if the objects are far away. Can you show material settings? What kind of texture are you using for the displacement?

Ah, sorry, i thought he was using the shell layers + opacity trick

2015-06-12, 17:59:54
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Actually... Can we have material setup please? :)

2015-06-13, 14:11:14
Reply #9

fLuppster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sure, its indeed an opacity + displacement map. (same procedural shader ofc) I can setup the blur of the noise roughly, but now i think from this distance a displacement is not very effective. Creating a tilable foam texture + bump will be the best probably..

2015-06-13, 22:03:11
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for mentioning it's C4D version. :P
Now I think it might be displacement OR as Rawalanche said filtering of opacity map. This should be easy to determine by disabling displacement/opacity and seeing which works how.