Author Topic: Color mapping memory/raw image memory  (Read 4225 times)

2014-10-23, 23:34:21

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are you by any chance planning to implement a feature that would let one to save a given combination of color maping and exposure he used for the particular still ? Or save an image in raw native corona format to come back to it like vray does ?

Many see clear benefits of omitting the photographic exposure on camera and work with above said, biggest of which is the flexibility.
It would be super usefull in certain situations:

-many cameras used - you can forget what values you used and have a hard time trying to recreate previous image

-you want to explore the image later on - without losing all the raw image data that would have been otherwise lost while sawing the image to any other than raw format

-client sends you remarks for multiple cameras and you face a situation like above mentioned

If such a feature exists and somehow i failed to see it I'd be gratefull if someone gave me some directions. If not are there plans/chances to get such thing implemented ?

Thanks.

2014-10-24, 00:00:59
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I am very confused what you ask for.

If you save as .exr, you can do any tonemapping you save preset for in your native app (or with fantastic plugins like AdobeCameraRaw inside PhotoshopCC, or ArionFX for Photoshop).
This lets you repeat your post-process for any amount of iterations. It's surely quite more practical and way better than doing so in framebuffer.

What would be the need for Corona proprietary format when Corona already uses .EXR both to include raw file, all channels and passes, but also to continue rendering on later. It already does everything you seem to ask for right now ?
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-24, 00:39:41
Reply #2

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The advantage would be not to go outside of the main application having to save multiple exr's while still being able to quickly roughly preview general postpro of the set you are working on as a whole by quickly switching many images in the frame buffer and therefore save time on saving/loading images.

You can then for example judge whether changes require working on the lighting because let's say one of the rooms needs more illumination to fit the rest or is it just a matter of simple curves to be added later on etc.

For you it might be more practical, but this is very subjective whether one prefers to do it inside main app or outside and how much postpro he uses.

If you tend to use a lot of PS of course it is more logical to do it there (outside), but if someone treats the final render almost as a final image and pushes most of the things in the main app then I think this workflow is still valid :)

It would simply be nice to have an option like that - I think.

Native Corona format was just a general idea to save the image in a way it could be opened again in the frame buffer, wasn't exactly aware Corona already works like this so I think this part can be skipped.

2014-10-24, 00:53:58
Reply #3

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah the raw render resume isn't exactly obvious.

Still don't sure what you ask for, you want to add Tonemapping to CoronaCam mode, or unlink that and keep all inside framebuffer as presets ? So when you change cameras between rendering you can keep your Exposure and Tonemapping adjustments.

Vlado from Vray contemplated idea of linking framebuffer adjustments to Camera. So if you adjust your image in frambuffer (color balance, exposure), next time it will keep those settings as they will copy to camera as well.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-10-24, 01:07:21
Reply #4

londonvisuals

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yea, "presets" is the magic word here that I missed in the first place making my posts a bit confusing.

I was thinking of the latter, but on a second thought both would be as equally good. Thank you Juraj for helping me to verbalize this as it should be ;)

So any chance of implementing any of those mentioned earlier ?

2014-10-24, 11:57:47
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
What would be the need for Corona proprietary format when Corona already uses .EXR both to include raw file, all channels and passes, but also to continue rendering on later. It already does everything you seem to ask for right now ?

Actually you can store arbitrary data in EXR, so it is really simple to store the colormapping data in the EXR file, while other application not aware of the data can still open it.

Corona actually does this already ;). I have some plans how to use it...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)