Author Topic: Weird scratches in surfaces  (Read 1318 times)

2023-10-17, 11:49:09

rudolfo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,
I modeled my scene in Vectorworks and it has these disturbing triangles, which makes this weird effect. Even if I melt the edges it won‘t work - they are N-Gons(?) instead.
How can I avoid this?
Best

2023-10-17, 13:39:20
Reply #1

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Are there any ''leftover'' points after using the melt function? If so, may be try deleting them? You can always share the scene if need be. There's a link for that in my signature below. :)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-10-17, 19:26:09
Reply #2

rudolfo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2023-10-17, 20:40:42
Reply #3

ASIMO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,
I modeled my scene in Vectorworks and it has these disturbing triangles, which makes this weird effect. Even if I melt the edges it won‘t work - they are N-Gons(?) instead.
How can I avoid this?
Best

Hello.

Just saw your problem. I am having the same issue for years, exporting from ArchiCAD. I have not found any solution to date. I think I even posted this at some point. Corona Displacement seems to be unable to handle those heavily triangulated surfaces. The best workaround (for me) is to build blocks. So instead of having 4 windows in a wall I would build 4 wall-blocks having each a window cut out. So the triangulation is controlled.

But I am curious if there is a solution.

Best – A

2023-10-18, 08:07:04
Reply #4

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Thanks for the file. I am not able to reproduce it here with the model you've sent. Can you give me steps to reproduce it? Also, is there a reason why you are still using V5 of Corona?

« Last Edit: 2023-10-18, 08:10:29 by Beanzvision »
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-10-18, 08:42:44
Reply #5

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Okay, so displacement is needed for this to be visible. Unfortunately, it also happens without Corona being used so it seems to either be a C4D or general 3D issue.

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-10-18, 12:38:36
Reply #6

ChrisMyatt

• Active Users
    • View Profile
if you select these edges within the face of the model, and use the MN shortkey to remove MN shortcut or UZ Shortcut, to remove them this should clear it up. Also reduce the phong tag to like 10 Degrees

2023-10-18, 13:30:54
Reply #7

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
That doesn't work unfortunately. I have cleaned up the model and it came with no phong tag. But adding one and reducing it also does nothing.

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2023-10-18, 14:43:55
Reply #8

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Consider 'cutting' elongated edges (avoid poles, fix edge flow...)
Then, either use "Remesh" or manually rebuild/retopo 'geo' in question (Poly-pen).
Also, learn to handle "terminator shift" with-in Corona.

2023-10-19, 10:56:25
Reply #9

rudolfo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
if you select these edges within the face of the model, and use the MN shortkey to remove MN shortcut or UZ Shortcut, to remove them this should clear it up. Also reduce the phong tag to like 10 Degrees
Well MN worked for the most edges - some of them went to N Gons, some not... why?

@Bengamin... I am using Version 5 for no reason- just too lazy for an update haha