Author Topic: CoronaPattern path / color variation  (Read 701 times)

2023-06-28, 16:05:09

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am trying to find a way to create a brick pavement using CoronaPattern, but I'm finding myself stuck. Have managed to make the pattern with some basic color and texture variation (using CoronaMix and Randomizer), but I'm struggling to find a way to create a distinct color pattern on top of that. The pavement is suppoosed to have a defined path using only colors, while the tiles themselves stay the same shape, etc. It's kind of hard to explain, but have attached an image of what I'm thinking of.

Does anyone have a method for making something like this? I know I could use decals or a distance map, but I don't think I'll be able to line up the colors with the tiles that way.

2023-06-28, 17:56:43
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I don't think this will be possible to do using Corona Pattern. One issue that you will face with Pattern is that a single object which is at the border of a single pattern tile (a brick close to the edges or the corners of the tile) will not be actually treated as a single object, so there is no way to color it properly.

There are probably various ways to do this. My first thought was Scatter. You can scatter a single brick model (or multiple models if they should have some slight variation in shapes) and then use the Scatter Surface Color Map to define the color of each brick. See: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4953359913617#h_01GF0WQAGG35RA1W48MPGGQB96

Note: this will work best when scattering the bricks on a relatively small area. If the area is very large and you end up with millions of bricks, you may run out of RAM (of course this depends on how much RAM you have).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2023-06-28, 18:06:52
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
proof of concept :)

2023-06-28, 18:08:32
Reply #3

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This feels like one of those cases where it's just quicker to do it manually.

Generate the patten, add an edit poly, manually select the elements and assign mat id's sorta thing.

Edit:  Or just do it using Maru's method which looks a lot slicker than manual haha

2023-06-28, 18:54:33
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

This got me thinking that Corona pattern needs its own surface color map. This would allow to use mapping and textures from pattern object and blend them with texture of base object. This would be ideal for situations like this.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2023-06-29, 09:43:04
Reply #5

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES

This got me thinking that Corona pattern needs its own surface color map. This would allow to use mapping and textures from pattern object and blend them with texture of base object. This would be ideal for situations like this.

+1 !
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2023-06-29, 12:36:46
Reply #6

Bjoershol

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much Maru! I have a lot of RAM, so I might try this and see if it works. If it's too much I might try dj_buckley's suggestion and convert it to geometry! Thanks both :)

I actually didn't realise Scatter can be used in grid/running grid distribution, and it follows the curvature of the surface which is perfect. Learned something else today!

I used ScatterSurfaceColor and mixed it in with the material on top, that way I can drive it using a bitmap which I can take straight from the landscape plan. Should be a fast way of doing it if my computer holds up :D
« Last Edit: 2023-06-29, 13:05:43 by Bjoershol »

2023-06-30, 17:42:29
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Cool!

"Surface color for CPattern" makes a lot of sense, but no idea if it's technically possible. Let's find out. :)

2023-07-25, 10:55:02
Reply #8

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Logged as a feature request.
(Internal ID=1166301970)