Author Topic: Chaos Corona 10 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 39309 times)

2022-11-10, 11:54:34

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Chaos Corona 10 for 3ds Max Daily Builds Discussion

You can grab the latest build from: Daily Builds Changelog
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2022-11-10, 12:55:49
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Note that as usual, we are waiting with next version daily builds until we release a hotfix for version 9 (containing only 3 minor fixes).

Meanwhile we have a changelog with 29 changes so far for the first daily build, so stay tuned ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-11-10, 16:11:28
Reply #2

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Woooo!  Exciting. 

By the way, not sure if it's something you'd want to change for 10 DBs or even Corona 9 Hotfix 1, but when we install Corona 9 in our studio as an update it does not effectively check to see if a newer version of Max is installed.  So we recently installed 2023 and had to go to 'advanced' in the install when we upgraded from Corona 9 latest DB to Corona 9 official.  Not a big deal, but might make life a little simpler for people.  FYI.

2022-11-23, 09:41:52
Reply #3

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
Woooo!  Exciting. 

By the way, not sure if it's something you'd want to change for 10 DBs or even Corona 9 Hotfix 1, but when we install Corona 9 in our studio as an update it does not effectively check to see if a newer version of Max is installed.  So we recently installed 2023 and had to go to 'advanced' in the install when we upgraded from Corona 9 latest DB to Corona 9 official.  Not a big deal, but might make life a little simpler for people.  FYI.
Hi danio1011,

I understand the problem here, however the installer can't detect whether the version was newly installed or simply unselected by the user.

Sorry for not being able to provide a better solution here.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2022-11-29, 12:17:30
Reply #4

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
"Corona now correctly resolves in which volume the camera lies. The camera can also be given a non-zero physical size, in which case the camera might lie only partially in one volume (e.g. camera half-submerged in water)"

Will this have any influence on how vol obj and VDBs behave regarding if the camera is in this object? I.e. so we can actually have the camera inside said volumes?
+ I noticed the vol material itself has the option to "mix vol objects" so they can intersect when using the vol material, can this function be added to Corona Vol objects so we can mix VDBs?
My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2022-11-29, 13:19:07
Reply #5

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Will this have any influence on how vol obj and VDBs behave regarding if the camera is in this object? I.e. so we can actually have the camera inside said volumes?
Yeah, this is how it works

+ I noticed the vol material itself has the option to "mix vol objects" so they can intersect when using the vol material, can this function be added to Corona Vol objects so we can mix VDBs?
VDBs are already always mixed mixed together :)

Cheers!
Send me your scene!

2022-11-29, 16:17:39
Reply #6

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi guys, what is this element in the new release:

- Added tonemap control viewport shader (as no-op)

Can't find where and what it is....

Thanks!

2022-11-29, 16:30:31
Reply #7

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks!
Hey,

Sorry for the confusing changelog entry, it just displays the map plugged into the shader in the viewport. Previously it displayed black in the viewport.

Cheers!
Send me your scene!

2022-11-29, 16:49:44
Reply #8

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging

Thanks!
Hey,

Sorry for the confusing changelog entry, it just displays the map plugged into the shader in the viewport. Previously it displayed black in the viewport.

Cheers!

Thanks! Was easy at the end! :D

2022-11-29, 22:19:06
Reply #9

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey guys - what does this mean exactly?
Corona now correctly resolves in which volume the camera lies. The camera can also be given a non-zero physical size, in which case the camera might lie only partially in one volume (e.g. camera half-submerged in water)

2022-11-30, 09:43:41
Reply #10

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hey guys - what does this mean exactly?
Corona now correctly resolves in which volume the camera lies. The camera can also be given a non-zero physical size, in which case the camera might lie only partially in one volume (e.g. camera half-submerged in water)
Hi,

I guess we need to work on making the changelog more human readable :)

It means you can now have a camera within a volume and the volume will render correctly. The example above would mean a camera inside the pool water for example. It can also be half in/out of the pool water and it will render correctly: https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/HUTtQF

Cheers!
Send me your scene!

2022-11-30, 11:43:14
Reply #11

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Camera inside volumes -> thanks a lot for this. We had to wait for a while but it was worth it :D

2022-11-30, 13:16:22
Reply #12

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
VDBs are already always mixed mixed together :)

Hmm, this isn't what I have experienced over the past couple of projects. I see a clear outline of the "box" container where two or more corona vol object containers (loaded cloud VDBs) intersect. Will do a ticket and include sample scene soon ;)

2022-11-30, 13:23:44
Reply #13

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Another one where some clarification would be nice ;)
"User can now set how volume (volume material, sky volume effect and volume grid) interact with alpha channel. + Semi-transparent volumetric effects now also contribute to alpha channel for rays not hitting anything"

Does this mean we can get something similar to the Vray environment Fog effect / Aerial Fog effect while still being able to use an HDRI?

Right now we are loving the corona sky fog option, but it's very frustrating and limiting not being able to use it with an HDRI. This is probably the only thing I really miss from vray.

2022-11-30, 20:42:44
Reply #14

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
"User can now set how volume (volume material, sky volume effect and volume grid) interact with alpha channel. + Semi-transparent volumetric effects now also contribute to alpha channel for rays not hitting anything"

Does this mean we can get something similar to the Vray environment Fog effect / Aerial Fog effect while still being able to use an HDRI?

Right now we are loving the corona sky fog option, but it's very frustrating and limiting not being able to use it with an HDRI. This is probably the only thing I really miss from vray.
Hi,

That behaviour didn't change, right now the volume effect is only compatible with the CoronaSky.

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-11-30, 22:27:59
Reply #15

Vlad_the_rant

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile

That behaviour didn't change, right now the volume effect is only compatible with the CoronaSky

Yeah, but any plans to change that? It really would be good. (just picture me saying it's something we need, in your next daily, Rowan ;) )
« Last Edit: 2022-11-30, 22:40:51 by Papuca3D »

2022-12-01, 09:00:26
Reply #16

philipbonum

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

That behaviour didn't change, right now the volume effect is only compatible with the CoronaSky.

Cheers,

Rowan

Are there any plans to make the clouds work with the volume effect? Seems a bit weird right now when two brand new options on the CoronaSky isn't compatible

2022-12-01, 13:41:26
Reply #17

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Volume effect does indeed need some work, and we have these issues logged.. but I don't have any timescale for when we'll get to them. The info I have is that it is not simple at all to fix..

I'm sorry not to provide better news on this.

Thanks for understanding guys
Send me your scene!

2022-12-06, 06:46:01
Reply #18

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've been getting significantly more crashes with IR running and the latest Corona 10 daily (11-25.)  Grabbed a dump and posted it with ticket #70823.  It will occur randomly but most predictably when I hit 'Stop' in the VFB when IR is running.

Thanks,
Daniel

EDIT:  Actually it seems that the crash results from having two copies of the same PhoenixFD fire in the same scene with IR running and me hitting 'Stop'.  And the crash occurs with Corona 9 stable, too.  Hopefully this post and my ticket are still relevant and solvable.
« Last Edit: 2022-12-06, 08:11:36 by danio1011 »

2022-12-06, 12:00:14
Reply #19

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Would be great if this release could FINALLY stop the IR window from resizing when you click it.

2022-12-06, 14:18:23
Reply #20

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Would be great if this release could FINALLY stop the IR window from resizing when you click it.

Hi,

Can you provide some more info here please? I don't 100% understand what you mean.

Usual reminder of what info we ask for when reporting a bug is here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4649117083409-How-to-report-issues-3ds-Max-

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2022-12-06, 16:07:03
Reply #21

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

Can you provide some more info here please? I don't 100% understand what you mean.

Usual reminder of what info we ask for when reporting a bug is here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4649117083409-How-to-report-issues-3ds-Max-

Thanks,

Rowan

Its been a popular request since VERSION 1.6 at least. It irritates many of us on a daily basis.

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=16765.0
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=27529.0
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=32579.0
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=19933.0
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=34079.msg188828#msg188828
https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=16099.msg105696#msg105696

Requested many times, and logged in our super secret tracker.
(note to self: id=293674722)

this sure seems like a popular topic... ;)

I also posted about it in 2021

Quote from: Maru
Thanks for the reminder. It has been indeed requested many times and is logged in our internal tracker too.

(Report ID=CRMAX-843)
« Last Edit: 2022-12-06, 16:31:08 by Jpjapers »

2022-12-06, 16:17:28
Reply #22

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Right okay, thanks for the extra information. Now I understand.

We have this in our pool of features, but as per usual I can't give a timeframe on when this will happen. I'd say it is unlikely it will make it to v10.

Sorry for not being able to provide better news.

Thanks
Send me your scene!

2022-12-06, 16:23:06
Reply #23

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Right okay, thanks for the extra information. Now I understand.

We have this in our pool of features, but as per usual I can't give a timeframe on when this will happen. I'd say it is unlikely it will make it to v10.

Sorry for not being able to provide better news.

Thanks

I find it quite insane that its been six years and 9 (soon to be 10) versions and it still has never been considered for a release or made its way onto the trello.
Its a bit of a joke quite frankly. The issue gets in the way multiple times every single day.

Its the only part of Corona i feel to be a constant barrier to smooth working practices and for whatever reason nobody seems to want to actually do something to remedy the problem.
« Last Edit: 2022-12-06, 16:38:11 by Jpjapers »

2022-12-06, 23:05:53
Reply #24

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another goodie to add (which i assume would be relatively easy) - is the ability to flip the image in the VFB - i often find myself doing it in photoshop just to freshen the eyes.

2022-12-07, 12:52:50
Reply #25

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

These are things we'd like to add when we re-write the VFB.

They may seem like quite simple things to add, but in the current VFB framework it is quite complicated and time consuming to do. So it makes more sense to tackle it as part of a wider re-write.

Keep an eye on the trello and hopefully we'll have some movement on it :)

Thanks,

Rowan

Send me your scene!

2022-12-07, 17:32:02
Reply #26

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey,

These are things we'd like to add when we re-write the VFB.

They may seem like quite simple things to add, but in the current VFB framework it is quite complicated and time consuming to do. So it makes more sense to tackle it as part of a wider re-write.

Keep an eye on the trello and hopefully we'll have some movement on it :)

Thanks,

Rowan

Surely theres a property than can be exposed to enable/disable the IR window maximise-on-click feature and only allow the window to be resized by the handles? It doesn't happen with any other window in max or corona so it must be a feature thats purposefully been implemented by yourselves.

2022-12-07, 18:03:41
Reply #27

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
You mean on double-click, right? As I've never seen the VFB maximize on a single click (other than a single click on the Maximize Window icon of course).
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2022-12-07, 18:12:22
Reply #28

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Then you're lucky. Happens a lot here.

2022-12-07, 19:05:02
Reply #29

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You mean on double-click, right? As I've never seen the VFB maximize on a single click (other than a single click on the Maximize Window icon of course).

Never happened to me either.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-12-08, 00:03:56
Reply #30

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Max latest update 2023.3 - when you plug in the organic map OSL to the bump slot - it crashes max

2022-12-08, 10:08:50
Reply #31

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile

Then you're lucky. Happens a lot here.

"The VFB maximizes on a single click" happens because of the wxWidgets library that's used for the VFB itself and which is, apparently, pretty crappy.
It happens when you've been doing something for a little while outside of Max (so a browser, messenger, whatnot) and then click in the vfb directly (without focusing Max or at least the VFB itself first) to try and add a region or just activate it. This is because wxWidgets apparently have trouble catching the clicks that are coming "from" a window outside Max and it's annoying as hell (as well as the VFB generally not being too snappy and the whole wxWidgets thing sometimes throwing errors about not catching mouse clicks.

The only way to fix this is a VFB rewrite (most likely using Qt, like the new error messages dialog) and the VFB rewrite is a thing that's been "coming" for some years now.

Hopefully the implementation of Qt into other parts of the interface is indicative of the VFB woes ending some time soon although rewriting the VFB not being likely in 10 is worrying as it looks like it's another few versions before anything's done about it.

Try disabling the mouse from affecting unfocused windows ("background window scrolling" I think. Google it) and see if and how much it helps (or makes it worse, results may vary).

2022-12-08, 13:27:51
Reply #32

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Max latest update 2023.3 - when you plug in the organic map OSL to the bump slot - it crashes max
Hi,

I'm just trying this out and it doesn't crash for me.. Can you upload a scene where you get the crash please?

Link to the uploader is in my signature.

Cheers!
Send me your scene!

2022-12-08, 13:40:30
Reply #33

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Aha so that is why I never see this happening, I always return to Max from outside it by clicking on Max in the taskbar.

2022-12-08, 14:48:58
Reply #34

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The "click resizes the vfb" thing has never happened to me, not even once. Also, please, when reporting something like this, even if it's the most common issue for you and even if it sounds simple, ALWAYS provide reproduction steps, screenshots, preferably videos demonstrating what exactly is going on. Otherwise, we might not be able to understand you and never manage to reproduce the issue for 10 years or more.

2022-12-08, 16:49:29
Reply #35

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The "click resizes the vfb" thing has never happened to me, not even once. Also, please, when reporting something like this, even if it's the most common issue for you and even if it sounds simple, ALWAYS provide reproduction steps, screenshots, preferably videos demonstrating what exactly is going on. Otherwise, we might not be able to understand you and never manage to reproduce the issue for 10 years or more.

Given the sheer number of threads i linked to that are full of long-time daily users that have +1d this request over the last 6 years, its absolutely happening and has been since version 1.6. Until now nobody on the team (or formerly on the team) has suggested a reason why, so the reproduction steps for us users are always going to be 'click the vfb and it happens'. We weren't to know the library that is used on the backend has this focus issue when switching between windows.

To add some more context i have only ever seen it occur whilst IR is running. It doesnt seem to happen if the render has stopped. It also doesnt happen 100% of the time which makes it hard to give you exact details of how to replicate. But now the information above has been posted its clear that its only going to be solved with a rewrite of the entire vfb which is disappointing but clearly nothing can be done about it until that happens.

I am very much looking forward to the day where i can leave the IR running to get a clear idea of what my scene looks like, jump to speak to someone on teams and then come back to the vfb without the possibility of the render that was running maximising and immediately reverting to first pass pixels. Or be on a video call discussing a scene and be able to run someone through an environment on a video call without having it accidentally maximise when i go to adjust a spinner.
« Last Edit: 2022-12-08, 17:07:20 by Jpjapers »

2022-12-08, 17:03:42
Reply #36

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Isn't it easier and faster to just provide the steps or record a short video demonstrating what is happening instead of writing multiple posts and linking to old forum threads?
If we cannot reproduce something, or we do not have the required details, we cannot know whether it's a library, something in 3ds Max, or maybe your mouse driver.

2022-12-08, 17:09:36
Reply #37

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Isn't it easier and faster to just provide the steps or record a short video demonstrating what is happening instead of writing multiple posts and linking to old forum threads?
If we cannot reproduce something, or we do not have the required details, we cannot know whether it's a library, something in 3ds Max, or maybe your mouse driver.

Not when its intermittent no. As i say for us users the steps are 'click the vfb'. It certainly wouldn't take me 6 years to test it though. Given we never know if or when its going to happen the chances of catching it on video are slim to none unless we screen capture all day. Hence why its useful to show this isnt an individual issue.

The reason i posted the threads is so that you team member was aware of the issue and that it had been logged twice previously so there was no need to log it again.
Now im aware that nobody has been able to replicate it (which is very surprising) i will try and keep a mental note next time it happens to keep some sort of log and let someone know if theres a pattern.

My understanding so far is that:
- Only happens in the IR window, not when youre running an actual render
- Doesnt seem to happen if the render isnt running
- Doesnt happen 100% of the time
- Happens when bringing the window into focus (though i cant be sure it doesnt happen when going between windows within max)
- I believe it sometimes happens even if you bring it into focus by grabbing the title bar.
« Last Edit: 2022-12-08, 17:18:27 by Jpjapers »

2022-12-08, 17:18:12
Reply #38

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

If we can't reproduce something we can't fix it. It's really as simple as that, so video recordings are really helpful in this case. The explanation from Papuca3D is accurate, and you have our answer on what we are planning to do to resolve it.

For now I'd like this to end the discussion on this topic, if you manage to reproduce this bug consistently please contact the support team and we will look into it.

Let's keep this discussion to the v10 daily builds.

Thanks.
Send me your scene!

2022-12-08, 17:19:48
Reply #39

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It certainly wouldn't take me 6 years to test and debug it though.

Something reported as "just click", never recorded, never explained in a few steps, and never reproduced by our team may take forever to debug.

If you mean "ability to lock IR resolution" then we do have it logged and as Rowan said:

2022-12-08, 17:21:27
Reply #40

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As i said above im surprised nobody internally has had it happen. So unless someone can figure out the exact cause of the issue that causes the locking feature to be required, and video capture it that way, the chances of someone catching it when they happen to be screen recording are slim. I will try and keep a log of when it happens in future and what seemed to cause it.

With every bit of due respect, this is the first time anyone on the team has said that its never been able to be replicated internally across any of the requests/reports i linked to as far as i can see.

The tracker references i posted were all from threads specifically talking about locking the IR window size, not resolution. All of which reported the issue being the window randomly resizing after clicking back into it.
« Last Edit: 2022-12-08, 17:40:20 by Jpjapers »

2022-12-09, 09:07:24
Reply #41

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I feel I can reproduce following bug, or at least I was able to in succession for few times inside production scene, might try today in isolated one but perhaps some QA have bit time to see as well:

1) Put VrScan inside LayeredMaterial (I am using car paint with clear-coat checked on)
2) Put another material on top
3) Start playing with the layered by either:
    A) put mask to the new material
    B) Click on preview during IR of the layered material

I made this crash both outside of IR (just general working) but mainly during IR.

Generally experience quite bit of crashes right now, but then again I am playing with big features like Scans which might be sensitive in IR in combination with other stuff.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2022-12-09, 11:49:00
Reply #42

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I made this crash both outside of IR (just general working) but mainly during IR.
Generally experience quite bit of crashes right now, but then again I am playing with big features like Scans which might be sensitive in IR in combination with other stuff.

Reproduced some crashes and logged them.

(internal id=1019834070)
(internal id=1019822834)

2022-12-09, 11:53:34
Reply #43

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
As i said above im surprised nobody internally has had it happen. So unless someone can figure out the exact cause of the issue that causes the locking feature to be required, and video capture it that way, the chances of someone catching it when they happen to be screen recording are slim. I will try and keep a log of when it happens in future and what seemed to cause it.

With every bit of due respect, this is the first time anyone on the team has said that its never been able to be replicated internally across any of the requests/reports i linked to as far as i can see.

The tracker references i posted were all from threads specifically talking about locking the IR window size, not resolution. All of which reported the issue being the window randomly resizing after clicking back into it.

Hey, all good, I think we were all a bit tired and frustrated yesterday, sorry for that!

Sadly there are user cases which nobody in our team is able to reproduce, this is not the only one. Some common reasons for this are: using specific 3rd party software (e.g. remote desktop managers), using specific hardware (e.g. misconfigured BIOS, some specific mobo+cpu combo), using different system language, etc. In some cases even if we know all those extra details it just happens to the users, but not on our machines (and we have a large pool). This doesn't sound good, but that's what sometimes happens. That's why we are always super grateful for all the tiny details and video recordings.

2022-12-09, 13:52:47
Reply #44

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hey, all good, I think we were all a bit tired and frustrated yesterday, sorry for that!

Sadly there are user cases which nobody in our team is able to reproduce, this is not the only one. Some common reasons for this are: using specific 3rd party software (e.g. remote desktop managers), using specific hardware (e.g. misconfigured BIOS, some specific mobo+cpu combo), using different system language, etc. In some cases even if we know all those extra details it just happens to the users, but not on our machines (and we have a large pool). This doesn't sound good, but that's what sometimes happens. That's why we are always super grateful for all the tiny details and video recordings.

Its not a problem, we all have days like that especially with software issues!

Perhaps it would be useful for the community and for the team to know which bugs you cant replicate internally and we can help crowdsource some further info. Maybe a stickied thread of 'Things we need more info on' would be helpful. That way we can know what to look out for.

2022-12-12, 10:16:44
Reply #45

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I removed last couple messages about Corona bump, since that has nothing to do with daily builds and there's already separate topic with discussion about that same issue: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38682.0

2022-12-12, 15:01:24
Reply #46

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Its not a problem, we all have days like that especially with software issues!

Perhaps it would be useful for the community and for the team to know which bugs you cant replicate internally and we can help crowdsource some further info. Maybe a stickied thread of 'Things we need more info on' would be helpful. That way we can know what to look out for.

Hi,

Let's try the exclusion method. Is what you see in the attached video the issue you are reporting or relates to it? "Resizing" can mean maximizing a window or "cropping" it by 10 pixels on each side.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2022-12-13, 12:53:02
Reply #47

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

Let's try the exclusion method. Is what you see in the attached video the issue you are reporting or relates to it? "Resizing" can mean maximizing a window or "cropping" it by 10 pixels on each side.

Unfortunately not, its not windows edge snapping at play here. I have just managed on the off chance, to capture it. I tried to re-record at a higher resolution but i couldnt get it to happen again whilst recording.

This is the result of a single click on the vfb to bring the window back into focus.
It does not happen every time but as you can imagine, if youre waiting for IR to clear up so you can check something, and youre waiting a while. You very much might get on with something else in another window whilst its running.

So a single click to the VFB sometimes maximises it meaning you lose the VFB progress. This is especially annoying on high dpi monitors or in heavy scenes. I cant be certain but i think it may only happen when clicking inside the image itself and not on other areas of the vfb.

« Last Edit: 2022-12-13, 12:59:45 by Jpjapers »

2022-12-13, 16:12:23
Reply #48

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for the video. This is the expected behavior if you zoom in your VFB and double-click. Does it ever happen if your VFB is not zoomed-in?

Please note that I am not saying "you intentionally double-clicked and are tricking us!" but I think for some reason the single-click is registered as a double-click in this case. It could be an issue with our VFB (and may be fixed when we rewrite the VFB), it could be a hardware issue (mouse), mouse driver issue, 3ds Max issue, or something else.

Just an absolutely random idea:
Are you by any chance on an AMD system and have the fTPM option enabled in BIOS? Are you experiencing audio stutters? (e.g. the sound stutters when you are listening to music)
I am asking this, because there is a glitch with fTPM which results in this random freeze/stutter behavior and it might cause accidental double-clicks.

2022-12-13, 16:31:54
Reply #49

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot for the video. This is the expected behavior if you zoom in your VFB and double-click. Does it ever happen if your VFB is not zoomed-in?

Please note that I am not saying "you intentionally double-clicked and are tricking us!" but I think for some reason the single-click is registered as a double-click in this case. It could be an issue with our VFB (and may be fixed when we rewrite the VFB), it could be a hardware issue (mouse), mouse driver issue, 3ds Max issue, or something else.

Just an absolutely random idea:
Are you by any chance on an AMD system and have the fTPM option enabled in BIOS? Are you experiencing audio stutters? (e.g. the sound stutters when you are listening to music)
I am asking this, because there is a glitch with fTPM which results in this random freeze/stutter behavior and it might cause accidental double-clicks.

Just checked and if im zoomed in and single click it when its in focus it doesnt occur. If i single click when not in focus, it maximises.
With regards to fTPM, Unless thats something enabled by default, i would guess its disabled. I havent ever experienced any audio stutters though.

2022-12-13, 23:14:22
Reply #50

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
This maximizing of the VFB is an intermittent issue that's been there since forever and it happens both when you middle-click the VFB when it's not in focus (might be zoomed-in or not) or when it's left-clicked (and not zoomed in) after it has been out of focus. In my case, it's usually the middle click, to pan the zoomed-in image.

fTPM is hardly the culprit (even though it causes occasional stutters, but they're pretty far in-between each others.

It's all in wxWidgets and is the same thing, or connected, to the exceptions wxWidgets sometimes throws when Max has not been in focus for a while and an element of the VFB (because VFB's the most common thing to click to focus) is clicked (any button or slider but NOT the window title bar. That doesn't cause it to randomly resize).

A workaround for the wxWidgets exceptions that pop up an error in the Corona error dialog is to just click on an empty area of the taskbar before clicking on anything in Max. Clicks won't be registered anywhere in the Max window until then. You may need to click a few times between the taskbar and Max though before it starts working again. I usually just set it to ignore the wxWidgets errors the first time they happen because they keep popping up at least once per session.

The rewritten VFB can't come soon enough...

It will likely get fixed when 1) the VFB is rewritten and 2) there is an option to actually just turn off the "double-click to enlarge/resize the VFB" functionality (which definitely should and should have been a toggle option).

2022-12-14, 13:41:51
Reply #51

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Logged making the double-click to resize feature optional. This could at least verify if the issue is related to double-clicks or not.

(Internal ID=1022187997)

2022-12-14, 16:58:40
Reply #52

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just to add a further point, i dont think ive ever had it happen with a render thats actually running. Only ever in IR.

2022-12-15, 01:44:29
Reply #53

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
Just to add a further point, i dont think ive ever had it happen with a render thats actually running. Only ever in IR.

It's probably because the glitch is somehow connected to whatever procedure is checking and waiting for changes in the scene itself. Even though the Max interface is not (by default) frozen during a production render, it doesn't need to check the scene for changes and so the glitch is not happening.
In any case, this seems the most likely explanation.

2023-01-26, 01:16:55
Reply #54

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In the latest daily builds, I noticed a bug with region borders in VFB.

The cursor does not turn into arrows when approaching the region borders and does not allow you to change its size normally, creating a new region occurs without problems, problem noticeable only with editing the old one.
in the 9th stable release everything is fine
i use 4k 16:9 monitor, scaling in windows is 125%
image upscaling factor for interactive rendering is 1x or 2x, this does not change the behavior of the bug.
« Last Edit: 2023-01-26, 07:40:44 by marchik »

2023-01-26, 12:41:09
Reply #55

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

The cursor does not turn into arrows when approaching the region borders and does not allow you to change its size normally, creating a new region occurs without problems, problem noticeable only with editing the old one.
image upscaling factor for interactive rendering is 1x or 2x, this does not change the behavior of the bug.
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this, I have the same behaviour here.

Will pass it on to the devs

(Internal ID=1043520285)
Send me your scene!

2023-02-01, 23:44:01
Reply #56

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Are tonemapping camera controls planned for the Improved lister 2.0? I ask this because they aren't implemented on the newest daily build (2023.01.31).

2023-02-01, 23:47:47
Reply #57

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Are tonemapping camera controls planned for the Improved lister 2.0? I ask this because they aren't implemented on the newest daily build (2023.01.31).
Yes! A button to open tone mapping editor, maybe also reset, copy, on/off
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2023-02-02, 00:15:01
Reply #58

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes! A button to open tone mapping editor, maybe also reset, copy, on/off

Great Ondra!

Some suggestions if I may:

1. Set per camera resolution inside the lister with custom presets. (see https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=33385.0)
2. To be able to add and delete the camera parameters necessary to adjust to ones workflow.

Thanks!

2023-02-02, 03:54:18
Reply #59

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey Devs

previous scene open on new daily, crashes.  Reverted back to previous daily, all good.

2023-02-02, 07:59:51
Reply #60

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just caught 3ds max freezing when changing the focal lens setting in a new lister, during an interactive render.
And in general, the behavior of spinners is very strange, if I hold down the left mouse button, move it down for example to decrease the value and keep the key pressed, then the values continue to change even when I do not move the mouse, this is very annoying.

PS it would be nice to have an ISO setting in the lister to control photo exposure without affecting F-stop and shutter speed, which can affect the look of the picture
« Last Edit: 2023-02-02, 08:46:46 by marchik »

2023-02-02, 08:50:55
Reply #61

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hey Devs

previous scene open on new daily, crashes.  Reverted back to previous daily, all good.
Hey,

Can you provide some more information? I'm afraid this isn't enough for me to work out what is going on..

Sending the scene to us would be a good start, instructions on how to do this are in my signature.

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-02-02, 22:48:02
Reply #62

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
submitted thanks.

hey Devs

Hey,

Can you provide some more information? I'm afraid this isn't enough for me to work out what is going on..

Sending the scene to us would be a good start, instructions on how to do this are in my signature.

Rowan

2023-02-06, 04:53:34
Reply #63

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I found the latest daily to introduce some lag with modifier spinners and certain selections while IR was running.  I don't know if it was just me or not...I had to downgrade because I am on a deadline but thought I'd put it out there in case anyone is experiencing anything else similar.  Things did seem back to normal when I downgraded to the next most recent daily, but I can always upgrade again when time allows.

Thanks,
Daniel

2023-02-10, 07:36:05
Reply #64

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey devs - ive got an underwater scene, how does the new inside volume work?  Cant seem to make it look right

2023-02-10, 12:03:06
Reply #65

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hey devs - ive got an underwater scene, how does the new inside volume work?  Cant seem to make it look right

Hi, I am not a dev, but got some information for you:
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/11905001704977

Please always attach screenshots and provide enough information to understand the issue.
Are you using the latest Daily Build of Corona 10?
Did you set up the scene correctly?

2023-02-13, 04:36:38
Reply #66

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Aram - appreciate the link.

Hi, I am not a dev, but got some information for you:
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/11905001704977

Please always attach screenshots and provide enough information to understand the issue.
Are you using the latest Daily Build of Corona 10?
Did you set up the scene correctly?

2023-02-13, 21:27:41
Reply #67

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Reproducable "bug" (but perhaps limitation) of ChaosScan Parallax and Bump multiplier resetting to default values open re-importing them as saved .MAT file.
Recently part of this behavior was fixed as it was happening within open 3dsMax scene, that is fixed.

Procedure:
1) Adjust values from default to something else. For example "Fabric_0001.vrscan" by default has both value at 0. Set to 1, export as Mat file (in my case to Connecter).
2) Reimport (in my case again from Connecter), these values are back to their default, for "Fabric_0001.vrscan" thus 0.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2023-02-14, 08:41:38
Reply #68

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Almost every time I load up a Corona scene I'm getting this error pop-up immediately.

(See attached)

It's curious because I continuously set the out-of-core folder to a different location (on the same c:/ drive). When I open my settings it has indeed reverted back to the one listed in the error message.

So why does my setting reset every time?
and what's with the error?

Thanks!
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2023-02-16, 12:31:48
Reply #69

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Anyone experiencing crash during IR while moving objects in the scene ? Its probably related to ChaosScatter when exclude spline is used. Im trying to replicate it in empty scene now. Every project is randomly crashing if i change scatter settings or move objects. Everything will disappear from IR except sky and max will crash.

Another weird thing - clouds being "cut" in distance so they dont continue behind the horizon. I found its caused by volume effect. When turned off, its okay. It affects also hdr if there is sky in CoronaSelect slot.
Coronaut!(c)2011

Supporting Corona in commercial projects since pre-alpha

2023-02-16, 13:39:38
Reply #70

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Almost every time I load up a Corona scene I'm getting this error pop-up immediately.

(See attached)

It's curious because I continuously set the out-of-core folder to a different location (on the same c:/ drive). When I open my settings it has indeed reverted back to the one listed in the error message.

Thanks!
Hey,

That's strange, does it reset every time you open 3ds max? Or is it somewhat more random than that?

I also didn't see that error message before, just to double check do you have enough free space?

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-02-16, 13:40:38
Reply #71

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Reproducable "bug" (but perhaps limitation) of ChaosScan Parallax and Bump multiplier resetting to default values open re-importing them as saved .MAT file.
Recently part of this behavior was fixed as it was happening within open 3dsMax scene, that is fixed.

Procedure:
1) Adjust values from default to something else. For example "Fabric_0001.vrscan" by default has both value at 0. Set to 1, export as Mat file (in my case to Connecter).
2) Reimport (in my case again from Connecter), these values are back to their default, for "Fabric_0001.vrscan" thus 0.
Looking into this also.

(Internal ID=1058086837)
Send me your scene!

2023-02-17, 12:11:04
Reply #72

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Volume effect affecting corona sky or HDRi (if CoronaSky is present in CoronaSelect slot with HDRi)

Csky https://i.gyazo.com/c6023894b47326b72129a7edd704b5e8.mp4

HDRi https://i.gyazo.com/32f4530a28563472dd4675e1885bb1c8.mp4

Coronaut!(c)2011

2023-02-17, 12:34:58
Reply #73

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Volume effect affecting corona sky or HDRi (if CoronaSky is present in CoronaSelect slot with HDRi)

Hi,

This is reported on the forums already https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37552.0

We have it logged.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=955187094)
Send me your scene!

2023-02-17, 13:03:12
Reply #74

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D

(See attached)

Thanks!
Hey,

That's strange, does it reset every time you open 3ds max? Or is it somewhat more random than that?

I also didn't see that error message before, just to double check do you have enough free space?

Cheers,

Rowan

After about 2 weeks of this error, it seems to have stopped happening by itself.

No idea why or how... it's possible my max was crashing every time instead of exiting nicely, thus not saving my settings properly, but this still doesn't explain why the error was popping up.

So no need to worry about this for now. I'll let you know of any news.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2023-02-17, 16:56:52
Reply #75

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile

Hi,

This is reported on the forums already https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=37552.0

We have it logged.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=955187094)

Thanks for info. I dont mind having option to use volume effect with hdri, whats causing issues is that sky is being cut above the horizon. HDRi too.
Coronaut!(c)2011

2023-02-19, 02:49:04
Reply #76

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
in the last daily build I encountered a "stable" crash of the scene, unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to pack the scene now, a lot of work, but I will describe at least in words, better than nothing:

It was the big plane with 1 polygon (i tried a plane with a shell modifier also) with CoronaDisplacementMod (tried Displace slot in mtl also) with PhoenixFDOceanTex in vector mode plugged through Vector Displacement Map
It was basic CoronaPhysicalMtl water shader with roughness 0.01 and enabled Volumetric scattering (grey color + ~40cm distance)
Scene crash occurs every time I start rendering (interactive or production) while enabling Scattering color different from black, without scattering - everything works just fine.
In 9.1 everything works as expected.
« Last Edit: 2023-02-19, 06:18:15 by marchik »

2023-02-19, 02:58:36
Reply #77

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
 i was having crashes too - and re installed previous daily.  all good now.

in the last daily build I encountered a "stable" crash of the scene, unfortunately I do not have the opportunity to pack the scene now, a lot of work, but I will describe at least in words, better than nothing:

I was the big plane with 1 polygon (i tried a plane with a shell modifier also) with CoronaDisplacementMod (tried Displace slot in mtl also) with PhoenixFDOceanTex in vector mode plugged through Vector Displacement Map
It was basic CoronaPhysicalMtl water shader with roughness 0.01 and enabled Volumetric scattering (grey color + ~40cm distance)
Scene crash occurs every time I start rendering (interactive or production) while enabling Scattering color different from black, without scattering - everything works just fine.
In 9.1 everything works as expected.

2023-02-20, 16:52:50
Reply #78

Jvincentrs4

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Same also had crashes went back to previous daily build.

2023-02-20, 19:32:48
Reply #79

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
Can confirm. Latest daily was crashy (mostly when updating IR). Previous daily is noticeably more stable.

2023-02-21, 13:47:20
Reply #80

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I think we have these crashes fixed internally already, but I'd love to test it out on one of your scenes so we can make sure it is really fixed for you as well.

Could anyone send me over a "crashy" scene?

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-02-21, 14:03:02
Reply #81

kanenas

• Users
    • View Profile
I followed marchik's scenario and it crashes as he says.

It's a heap corruption error (0xc0000374) but I don't think it's related to scattering itself.
If you disable Global Illumination, it seems to work just fine.
I'd guess it's a GI problem when interfacing with some functions.

2023-02-23, 15:35:51
Reply #82

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
submitted thanks.

hey Devs

Hey,

Rowan
Hey,

So we looked into this, it seems it is caused by the chamfer modifier and it is crashing completely outside of Corona. Did you update 3ds max around the same time?

I tested the scene all the way back to v9 HF1 and it was consistently crashing upon opening in each daily.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-02-27, 20:37:51
Reply #83

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

Crashes during parsing and GI calculation that you reported should be fixed in the latest daily (2023-02-27).

Please let me know if you have some issues still.

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-02-28, 11:25:30
Reply #84

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here is a simple test of the new Optix:
https://corona-renderer.com/comparer/OJpq7L
(crops attached)

2023-02-28, 21:03:02
Reply #85

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Сursor still doesn't change its shape when using region rendering in VFB, but it works better

2023-02-28, 22:08:17
Reply #86

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Сursor still doesn't change its shape when using region rendering in VFB, but it works better
Hi,

The fix for that is coming :)

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-03-03, 15:26:32
Reply #87

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

This is fixed in the latest daily, you can grab it here: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=38385.msg210302#msg210302

Cheers
Send me your scene!

2023-03-05, 16:24:45
Reply #88

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

With the latest DB I almost constantly get "Render had to be aborted because a bitmap on disk changed and is being reloaded. Continuing the render could cause crash or undefined behavior..." during IR.
Bitmap has not changed. It happens when I link bitmap to material or assigning material or just pick material from scene. Different scenes, different materials, different bitmaps.

2023-03-05, 18:10:49
Reply #89

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
Does it happen with both regular bitmaps or with CoronaBitmap as well? Asking because I've not had it happen with the CoronaBitmap, only with the regular Bitmap from Max.

2023-03-06, 00:09:59
Reply #90

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Glad other people mention this, I have it happen in every scene of every project with any kind of random material. Pretty much makes any IR work completely impossible to work with :- ). Happens 100perc. within first run of IR.
Will try to isolate and package scene but next two days are impossible for that.

2023-03-06, 04:24:53
Reply #91

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Devs

latest daily - when changing material parameters - the IR doesnt change it unless i resize the window or restart IR.

2023-03-06, 09:39:11
Reply #92

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

With the latest DB I almost constantly get "Render had to be aborted because a bitmap on disk changed and is being reloaded. Continuing the render could cause crash or undefined behavior..." during IR.
Bitmap has not changed. It happens when I link bitmap to material or assigning material or just pick material from scene. Different scenes, different materials, different bitmaps.
Glad other people mention this, I have it happen in every scene of every project with any kind of random material. Pretty much makes any IR work completely impossible to work with :- ). Happens 100perc. within first run of IR.
Will try to isolate and package scene but next two days are impossible for that.
Hi Devs

latest daily - when changing material parameters - the IR doesnt change it unless i resize the window or restart IR.
Hey guys,

Some scenes with reproduction steps would be super helpful here. Please use the link in my signature to send them over.

Cheers!

(Internal ID=1070545683)
« Last Edit: 2023-03-06, 13:06:24 by rowmanns »
Send me your scene!

2023-03-10, 02:26:17
Reply #93

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Devs

I saw a video on youtube where the CURVE editor within the VFB could be undocked and expanded - has this feature been removed from dailies?

2023-03-10, 10:10:55
Reply #94

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hi Devs

I saw a video on youtube where the CURVE editor within the VFB could be undocked and expanded - has this feature been removed from dailies?

Yes, but the hope is it will be added back sometime in the future: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=39517.0

2023-03-10, 10:38:34
Reply #95

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
great - hoping its in the next release - the curve editor in that little window is next to useless to use.
Hi Devs

Yes, but the hope is it will be added back sometime in the future: https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=39517.0

2023-03-10, 11:48:50
Reply #96

v.p.vlasenko

• Active Users
    • View Profile
About "render has to be aborted..."
Clean scene - create some object, start interactive, create material, apply to object, load  bitmap, connect bitmap to some slot of material and you'll get an error. The are other scenarios as well. Not sure but seems like problem only wit max bitmap.

2023-03-12, 19:28:06
Reply #97

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
About "render has to be aborted..."
Clean scene - create some object, start interactive, create material, apply to object, load  bitmap, connect bitmap to some slot of material and you'll get an error. The are other scenarios as well. Not sure but seems like problem only wit max bitmap.
Hi,

Thanks! We have managed to reproduce this one. We'll do our best to fix it asap. A workaround for the time being is to use the Corona bitmap :)

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-03-14, 12:02:25
Reply #98

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Issues with 3ds max bitmap causing IR to stop have been fixed in the latest daily. Please check it out and let me know if you still have issues!

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-03-14, 16:23:38
Reply #99

leo_surrealismo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi rowmanns, it is still happening.

2023-03-14, 17:08:36
Reply #100

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

2023-03-15, 23:46:12
Reply #101

Abdullah_Alallah

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hey guys, i am truly in love with the latest builds and its truly nice, but the latest version of daily build truly ruined any file that I work with...for some reason the viewport gradually goes really slooooooow till it gets to the point of non workable, the WHOLE UI freezes and idk which part is it. i tried clean models-old models-new models- AutoCAD models in 3dsmax and I would get the same results.

2023-03-16, 00:02:32
Reply #102

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
Have you checked with something like PruneScene to make sure there are no retrackers running amok as well as no viruses? The retracker bug and the viruses usually reside in older scene files and once they get into your system (or current Max session), that scene will end up, eventually, screwed up (i.e. slowing down, bugging out, etc.)

2023-03-16, 10:28:53
Reply #103

Abdullah_Alallah

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you checked with something like PruneScene to make sure there are no retrackers running amok as well as no viruses? The retracker bug and the viruses usually reside in older scene files and once they get into your system (or current Max session), that scene will end up, eventually, screwed up (i.e. slowing down, bugging out, etc.)
hey there, yes I tried that and nothing popped up. and what made me certain is that I reverted back to the 3rd of march daily build and it fixed the super slow viewport issue. i think it had something to do in the latest build with the "Unified Nitrous implementation of drawing CoronaLight in the viewport across 3dsMax versions, which now results in more consistent viewport performance across all 3ds max versions." maybe? or something else that I simply don't understand. but all I know is that reverting fixed it which leads me to believe that the latest daily messed it up.

2023-03-16, 11:52:05
Reply #104

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
hey there, yes I tried that and nothing popped up. and what made me certain is that I reverted back to the 3rd of march daily build and it fixed the super slow viewport issue. i think it had something to do in the latest build with the "Unified Nitrous implementation of drawing CoronaLight in the viewport across 3dsMax versions, which now results in more consistent viewport performance across all 3ds max versions." maybe? or something else that I simply don't understand. but all I know is that reverting fixed it which leads me to believe that the latest daily messed it up.
Hi,

Which versions of 3ds max and Windows are you using? Also, if possible can you send over your scene? I will be happy to look into this.

Cheers!
Send me your scene!

2023-03-16, 13:39:16
Reply #105

Abdullah_Alallah

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Which versions of 3ds max and Windows are you using? Also, if possible can you send over your scene? I will be happy to look into this.

Cheers!
using 3dsmax 2023.2.2 and windows 11 and the latest Nvidia studio GPU driver. and I get the same result with a fresh scene with nothing in it and Sini software cleaner shows nothing and so would PruneScene.

2023-03-16, 13:43:36
Reply #106

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
using 3dsmax 2023.2.2 and windows 11 and the latest Nvidia studio GPU driver. and I get the same result with a fresh scene with nothing in it and Sini software cleaner shows nothing and so would PruneScene.
Any chance you can try to update to 3ds max 2023.3 and see if it still happens there?

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-03-16, 17:09:12
Reply #107

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
As Rowan said - upgrade to 2023.3.

It could be some mix between 2023.2.2 and the new daily. 2023.2.2 WAS actually buggy (but in a pretty stealthy way. In my case, for example, it was screwing up Max files saved in previous Max versions, of all things) and 2023.3 works like a charm (and actually slightly even faster) so updating Max could fix it.
It's always a good idea to keep Max updated to the latest possible version (but can wait and see for a week or two after its release if any reports of buggyness appear) and to check out the changelog for each new Max update or version as they list what was fixed and you may find something you didn't even know was a bug but was bothering you has been fixed.

2023-03-22, 00:13:19
Reply #108

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Same issue here, reverting to 3rd March daily solved the issue. The slowness is everything, the whole UI.

3dsMax 2023v1 here because of FBX exporter, although I am not sure if my laptop isn't v3 so may try there next week. Win11, Quadro Drivers.

2023-03-22, 17:05:11
Reply #109

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The issue here really seems to be with the older HF 3ds max versions (2023.1 and 2023.2).

@Abdullah_Alallah Are you able to update to 2023.3?

In the meantime, I will speak to our dev team and see if we can do something about this.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=1082585052)
« Last Edit: 2023-03-23, 10:09:43 by rowmanns »
Send me your scene!

2023-03-22, 23:44:44
Reply #110

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Devs

If you open the CURVE editor within a corona correct map node, the IR doesn't update right away and often hangs - at least for me this happens.

2023-03-23, 10:09:17
Reply #111

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Devs

If you open the CURVE editor within a corona correct map node, the IR doesn't update right away and often hangs - at least for me this happens.
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this. I have managed to reproduce something very similar. For me, the IR constantly restarts when editing the curves.

Sent on to the dev team.

Cheers!

(Internal ID=1082617469)
Send me your scene!

2023-03-26, 10:38:12
Reply #112

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
youre welcome.

While im h ere, i have a new PC and im sure this has been raised before, but is it ever going to be possible to add a RENDER node to render a a project using JUST the node and not the HOST PC?  this was possible with VRAY and its unfair that i would need to get a NEW license (seat) just to work temporarily while my NODE is rendering?

2023-03-27, 05:57:19
Reply #113

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
Perhaps not quite what you'd like exactly, but you can do that with Backburner.

Run Backburner on the node and then either send the scene to rendering from your workstation to be rendered via Backburner on the node or open the scene on the node and send it to rendering directly from the node.

In server mode (which is how Backburner is running Max on the node to render stuff), Max uses only a "render" license without using the "interface" license leaving it free to be used on the workstation while the node is rendering.

Another benefit of Backburner in this arrangement is that you can actually queue up several scenes to be rendered one after another and just leave the node churning out renders while you work on other stuff.

2023-03-27, 07:44:14
Reply #114

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the detailed response - is there a formal guide i can follow?  The last time i tried to use backburner it was pretty confusing to me

Perhaps not quite what you'd like exactly, but you can do that with Backburner.

Run Backburner on the node and then either send the scene to rendering from your workstation to be rendered via Backburner on the node or open the scene on the node and send it to rendering directly from the node.

In server mode (which is how Backburner is running Max on the node to render stuff), Max uses only a "render" license without using the "interface" license leaving it free to be used on the workstation while the node is rendering.

Another benefit of Backburner in this arrangement is that you can actually queue up several scenes to be rendered one after another and just leave the node churning out renders while you work on other stuff.

2023-03-27, 11:09:51
Reply #115

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
youre welcome.

While im h ere, i have a new PC and im sure this has been raised before, but is it ever going to be possible to add a RENDER node to render a a project using JUST the node and not the HOST PC?  this was possible with VRAY and its unfair that i would need to get a NEW license (seat) just to work temporarily while my NODE is rendering?
Hey,

So we do have this tentatively planned. But as usual, I can't give you a timescale on it.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=1067522507)
Send me your scene!

2023-03-27, 12:00:16
Reply #116

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
@shortcirkuit

There's the official Backburner guides, to be downloaded as PDFs from here:

https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Backburner-User-Guide-and-Installation-Guide-documents.html

It seems there's no actual online versions as this is the first thing when searching for them that comes out...

2023-03-27, 12:37:40
Reply #117

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just a reminder that the process above will allow the render machine to render, and the main machine to still use the GUI for Corona, but the main machine won't be able to render at all (ie no IR etc.) You don't need a full, separate license to be able to "just render" on another machine (while also rendering on your main machine), you need a Render Node license which comes at a reduced price, https://corona-renderer.com/prices-licensing/render-nodes . Note that this is the same arrangement as with V-Ray.

2023-03-28, 01:53:39
Reply #118

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys - but this is is such a tedious way to do it.  Corona, cant you jsut enable it like you can do it in VRAY where you can just do it within the settings of the 3DS Max dialogue?  Backburner is dated and you have to map drives etc - its cumbersome.

This is a feature that vray has had since the start - cant you guys impliment it?
« Last Edit: 2023-03-28, 09:36:03 by shortcirkuit »

2023-03-28, 10:30:39
Reply #119

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys - but this is is such a tedious way to do it.  Corona, cant you jsut enable it like you can do it in VRAY where you can just do it within the settings of the 3DS Max dialogue?  Backburner is dated and you have to map drives etc - its cumbersome.

This is a feature that vray has had since the start - cant you guys impliment it?
Hey,

So we do have this tentatively planned. But as usual, I can't give you a timescale on it.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=1067522507)

I'll quote what I said here... 
Send me your scene!

2023-03-28, 10:52:48
Reply #120

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Fantastic very much looking forward to it.

Hey,

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=1067522507)

I'll quote what I said here...

2023-03-30, 08:00:28
Reply #121

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Devs - not sure if this is an old issue, but the corona round corner map - it sometimes creates this rippled effect?  Like its not perfectlyt smooth on the edges, its like it has some form of noise on it which gives it irregular bumps on it

2023-03-30, 12:00:44
Reply #122

Vlad_the_rant

• Active Users
  • Vladimir
    • View Profile
Hi Devs - not sure if this is an old issue, but the corona round corner map - it sometimes creates this rippled effect?  Like its not perfectlyt smooth on the edges, its like it has some form of noise on it which gives it irregular bumps on it

An example would probably be very helpful...

2023-03-30, 13:14:23
Reply #123

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
good point - see attached

An example would probably be very helpful...

2023-03-30, 17:07:56
Reply #124

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Those "ripples" - I am not aware of any other reports like this. Could you send us a scene?

2023-03-30, 19:05:19
Reply #125

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Wondering if changing the cache, or turning off the adaptive light solver would change the results?

2023-03-31, 00:01:48
Reply #126

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sure....how and where?
Those "ripples" - I am not aware of any other reports like this. Could you send us a scene?

2023-03-31, 13:14:51
Reply #127

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The "contact us" in the signatures lets you submit a ticket, which can have a scene attached. You can include a link to the forum post in the ticket, in order to connect it to this report :)

2023-04-02, 04:43:45
Reply #128

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
After renaming Corona UVWRandomizer to Corona MappingRandomizer it became indistinguishable from Corona MultiTexmap when collapsed, especially when creating large and complex  material trees in the slate material editor.

I have already confused them several times when working, so I wanted to suggest that you rename it back for the convenience of users, thanks.

PS. but in general, in my opinion, it’s high time to make a configurable number of inputs and outputs for this map, or add this functionality to corona bitmap or directly to coronaphysicalmtl in the advanced options section, why produce these identical copies of the randomizer with settings (-1 1) (-1 1) (0 360) complicating the material tree.
« Last Edit: 2023-04-02, 11:41:16 by marchik »

2023-04-02, 10:36:59
Reply #129

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
+1 to the above. Perhaps even consider shortening "Corona" to "Crn" for better node names readability.

2023-04-06, 14:38:38
Reply #130

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Issues with poor viewport performance should be fixed in the latest daily build.

I'll log the issue with the MappingRandomizer naming. I agree it's not ideal.

Cheers,

Rowan

(Internal ID=1091528554)
« Last Edit: 2023-04-06, 14:51:24 by rowmanns »
Send me your scene!

2023-04-06, 19:01:23
Reply #131

JoeVallard

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Joe Vallard
+1 to the above. Perhaps even consider shortening "Corona" to "Crn" for better node names readability.
+1 Crn is a pretty common Prefix you see when downloading assets. Would really help see names in the material editor.

2023-04-08, 00:53:44
Reply #132

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Given that now the corona lister is becoming an important and effective tool that will cover more and more elements over time,
I suggest making it possible to dock it to the interface, as can be done for example with the Scene explorer or the Material Editor in 3ds max 2024

2023-04-11, 16:11:06
Reply #133

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Given that now the corona lister is becoming an important and effective tool that will cover more and more elements over time,
I suggest making it possible to dock it to the interface, as can be done for example with the Scene explorer or the Material Editor in 3ds max 2024

This is logged now. Thanks

(Internal ID=1092755739)

2023-04-11, 20:08:16
Reply #134

zhao liang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Will there be Chinese version of Corona 10?

2023-04-12, 09:37:55
Reply #135

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Will there be Chinese version of Corona 10?
Hi,

There is no Chinese version of Corona planned right now.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-04-13, 11:50:58
Reply #136

scionik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi dev.team.
Could you please issue Corona 9.2 I mean supporting MAX 2024

2023-04-13, 12:02:53
Reply #137

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi dev.team.
Could you please issue Corona 9.2 I mean supporting MAX 2024
Hi,

It's coming.. bare with us :)

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-04-18, 13:30:36
Reply #138

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see that chaos cloud integration is on the roadmap for v10. Not expecting anything or planning a workload around it so dont worry. But im just curious as to what level of integration into the product it is intended to have and does it use the export scene function or will it still need to pull all of the textures and scene files, zip them up and repath the bitmaps etc?

2023-04-18, 16:57:59
Reply #139

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I see that chaos cloud integration is on the roadmap for v10. Not expecting anything or planning a workload around it so dont worry. But im just curious as to what level of integration into the product it is intended to have and does it use the export scene function or will it still need to pull all of the textures and scene files, zip them up and repath the bitmaps etc?

No news at present on what this initial implementation may look like, or even a guarantee it will happen (roadmaps are always tentative).

2023-04-18, 18:40:38
Reply #140

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile

No news at present on what this initial implementation may look like, or even a guarantee it will happen (roadmaps are always tentative).

No worries,will keep my eyes peeled.

2023-05-16, 12:51:42
Reply #141

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Devs - latest daily..... when i have IR going and i save out the VFB and overwrite an image (ie JPG)  - its freezes max.

2023-05-16, 15:34:09
Reply #142

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Devs - latest daily..... when i have IR going and i save out the VFB and overwrite an image (ie JPG)  - its freezes max.

All fine here, no issues whatsoever.
How exactly this is happening? Is the output/scene relatively large/heavy?

2023-05-17, 01:15:04
Reply #143

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i wouldnt say overly heavy - its been happening since the last 2 x dailies.

All fine here, no issues whatsoever.
How exactly this is happening? Is the output/scene relatively large/heavy?

2023-05-23, 15:22:22
Reply #144

RecentSpacesSam

• Active Users
    • View Profile
New DOF highlights solving looks interesting!

I'm curious - is this purely for DOF or is it transferrable to other areas too? (Caustics?)

2023-05-23, 15:31:21
Reply #145

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Purely for DOF, and purely for highlights (non-highlight DOF blurring won't show any improvement)

2023-05-25, 14:03:56
Reply #146

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
After renaming Corona UVWRandomizer to Corona MappingRandomizer it became indistinguishable from Corona MultiTexmap when collapsed, especially when creating large and complex  material trees in the slate material editor.

I have already confused them several times when working, so I wanted to suggest that you rename it back for the convenience of users, thanks.

PS. but in general, in my opinion, it’s high time to make a configurable number of inputs and outputs for this map, or add this functionality to corona bitmap or directly to coronaphysicalmtl in the advanced options section, why produce these identical copies of the randomizer with settings (-1 1) (-1 1) (0 360) complicating the material tree.
Hey,

We have renamed all of the maps for example CMultimap instead of CoronaMultimap. Maxscript names should not be affected.

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-05-26, 13:28:54
Reply #147

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I agree the new DOF highlight Solver looks great!

2023-05-26, 16:03:08
Reply #148

Dalton Watts

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It would be great to be able to control tone mapping parameters directly in the unified lister. In my opinion, as it is now, it requires opening an additional dialog box which I don't find very practical.

2023-05-26, 20:23:04
Reply #149

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
With DB 5-23-2024 and Max 2024.1 the permanent freeze when hitting 'Ctrl-C' button in the VFB is back.  You have to kill Max, waiting doesn't help.  I will try to remember to get a dump next time. 

This bug had been gone for me in Max 2023 (and also previous DBs of Corona 10.)  I upgraded both Corona and Max at the same time so I'm not sure which broke.  Latest Windows 10, 3970x, 2080Ti.

2023-05-30, 05:18:14
Reply #150

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Latest RC crashes with scenes with Anima - i reverted back to previous daily which and all works again. Ive also written to Anima

2023-05-31, 06:56:58
Reply #151

Avi

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

Can you give me some more info about the crash you are experiencing?

I need the following information:

1. What version of 3ds Max you are using?
2. What version of Anima you are using?
3. What steps did you take when you observed the crash? Can you give us some repro steps so we are able to trace the crash?
Arpit Pandey | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Specialist - Corona | contact us

2023-06-01, 09:40:01
Reply #152

nowosek

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I tested DB 10 RC1 on Windows 10 machine with AMD Thredripper 2970wx CPU and discovered that CPU usage drops from 100% to 50% compared to Version 9 (GI and rendering). Is this issue related to windows 10? When moved back to Version 9 everything works as expected.

Thank you,
Mark
« Last Edit: 2023-06-01, 10:53:33 by nowosek »

2023-06-03, 00:30:31
Reply #153

CharlyRT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry but? What does this hotfix added?
Theres no Release Notes about it

2023-06-03, 01:36:06
Reply #154

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
adds compatibility for 3ds max 2024

2023-06-03, 01:48:12
Reply #155

CharlyRT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
adds compatibility for 3ds max 2024

But Hotfix 2 already had max 2024 compatibility

2023-06-04, 16:48:13
Reply #156

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Minor fix for a problem with a particular, newer version of Cosmos. We were going to wait for Corona 10, but as more people updated their Cosmos, it became a more immediate problem, so we released the HF. It still wasn't that many affected, and if someone was affected they'd report a problem, and we'd tell them the solution of downloading the HF3. Meantime if no-one is experiencing issues, there was no need for them to update to HF3 with 10 being so close, hence no announcement.

2023-06-05, 09:04:13
Reply #157

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I tested DB 10 RC1 on Windows 10 machine with AMD Thredripper 2970wx CPU and discovered that CPU usage drops from 100% to 50% compared to Version 9 (GI and rendering). Is this issue related to windows 10? When moved back to Version 9 everything works as expected.

Thank you,
Mark
Hey,

Do you have a scene handy that you can send to us? Instructions on how to do so can be found in my signature.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-06-05, 16:11:55
Reply #158

Elementstudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello Guys,

I am using 3D Studio Max 2024
And the latest version of Corona Daily Builds "RC1"

I attach a small gif where it shows the small detail that I noticed the difference.

That is, previously, by clicking on the up and down arrows, we could see the value changing from 0.10 to 0.20, 0,30... , which makes it easier to work with.

Now it always changes from 1 to 2, 3...

2023-06-05, 19:13:47
Reply #159

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I think spinner iterations are globally defined by 3ds Max - i'm also using 3ds Max 2024 and Corona 10 RC1 and for me spinners are incremented not by fixed value but by 1%, as it always has been. Try to look for this somewhere in 3ds Max settings.

2023-06-05, 19:17:32
Reply #160

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It is working as expected for me. Check if you don't have the "Use snap" option enabled in the 3ds Max preferences (see screenshot).

2023-06-07, 14:30:07
Reply #161

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Just curious;

Has something changed with the way glare/bloom works? I think since updating recently to a daily my bloom and glare seems to look quite different all of a sudden...

(I have no evidence of this right now, just asking!)
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D

2023-06-07, 14:39:58
Reply #162

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Just curious;

Has something changed with the way glare/bloom works? I think since updating recently to a daily my bloom and glare seems to look quite different all of a sudden...

(I have no evidence of this right now, just asking!)
Hi,

Nothing should have changed w.r.t. bloom and glare :)

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-06-08, 06:29:52
Reply #163

zhao liang

• Active Users
    • View Profile
At present, Vray has launched a Chinese version. I would like to ask if Corona has this plan? Because there will be some bugs with the conversion material

2023-06-08, 09:05:18
Reply #164

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
At present, Vray has launched a Chinese version. I would like to ask if Corona has this plan? Because there will be some bugs with the conversion material
Hi,

There are no plans right now for a Chinese version of Corona.

Thanks

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-06-08, 17:31:55
Reply #165

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
"Improved warning shown when DOF Highlights Solver and AI denoiser are enabled together."

Will the Intel denoiser be updated to support the new DOF ??
The new sampler didn't get the update.. like 2 years ago

2023-06-08, 17:43:31
Reply #166

Elementstudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It is working as expected for me. Check if you don't have the "Use snap" option enabled in the 3ds Max preferences (see screenshot).

Solved, thanks a lot! :)

2023-06-08, 17:44:02
Reply #167

Elementstudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think spinner iterations are globally defined by 3ds Max - i'm also using 3ds Max 2024 and Corona 10 RC1 and for me spinners are incremented not by fixed value but by 1%, as it always has been. Try to look for this somewhere in 3ds Max settings.

Thanks a lot! :)

2023-06-08, 17:58:33
Reply #168

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
"Improved warning shown when DOF Highlights Solver and AI denoiser are enabled together."

Will the Intel denoiser be updated to support the new DOF ??
The new sampler didn't get the update.. like 2 years ago

None of the third party denoisers will update to work with our High Quality Filtering (as they'd need retraining), so we can expect "Want High Q Filtering, use Corona Denoiser; want AI denoising, use other filtering" to remain as how things work going forward.

2023-06-08, 18:25:18
Reply #169

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I wonder what is the license of Intel Open Denoiser? Would it be possible for you to fork it and re-train on your own data, so that it could stay compatible with future Corona features? Would that be feasible?

2023-06-08, 18:44:40
Reply #170

arqrenderz

• Active Users
  • https://www.behance.net/Arqrenderz1
    • View Profile
    • arqrenderz
So i ask another question, Will the corona "HQ" denoiser be improved ?
for us the quality in the corona one is not there, i need to go as low as 4% noise for it to work and not mess the image.
As for the intel one i can have fast previews at 10% without destroying the image.
We stopped using corona denoiser long ago for the sub par results even on final images and videos.

2023-06-08, 19:47:45
Reply #171

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I haven't used the Corona one in 2-3 years at least, for me it was nVidia Optix for IR and Intel for finals, but I usually still mask it Post only for places I like it.
The 2.0 version looks like solid improvement, and if Intel gets integrated into IR, and ideally with GPU support (imho important, since even B&G is very very slow during rendering as it competes for CPU resources), it would be clean winner for all scenarios.

If it means not using HQ..that's ok. This got me thinking which other filter is it best working on? Does it even need one?

2023-06-08, 21:06:22
Reply #172

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
If it means not using HQ..that's ok. This got me thinking which other filter is it best working on? Does it even need one?

No HQ filtering, no DOF highlights solver... this list will only grow. The choice is tough - good denoiser, or fancy new features.

2023-06-09, 04:28:27
Reply #173

marchik

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I haven't used the Corona one in 2-3 years at least, for me it was nVidia Optix for IR and Intel for finals, but I usually still mask it Post only for places I like it.
The 2.0 version looks like solid improvement, and if Intel gets integrated into IR, and ideally with GPU support (imho important, since even B&G is very very slow during rendering as it competes for CPU resources), it would be clean winner for all scenarios.

So i ask another question, Will the corona "HQ" denoiser be improved ?
for us the quality in the corona one is not there, i need to go as low as 4% noise for it to work and not mess the image.
As for the intel one i can have fast previews at 10% without destroying the image.
We stopped using corona denoiser long ago for the sub par results even on final images and videos.

+1 same for me here

I stopped using HQ Deinoiser for several years for this reason, I would really like to see an improvement for it or some kind of workaround to be able to use new features with IntelAI

2023-06-09, 08:18:34
Reply #174

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website

No HQ filtering, no DOF highlights solver... this list will only grow. The choice is tough - good denoiser, or fancy new features.

The solver situation is strange, why would the AI Denoiser care what ray tracing trick was used to get the final pixels? The Filtering I could understand. Or is the Solver also just filtering trick?

With that said, AI Denoisers have dedicated teams behind them, and developing in-house alternatives just further stretches resources for what is at best, comparable result. To me it's waste, it made sense years ago.

2023-06-09, 20:15:16
Reply #175

Elementstudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Why did you leave corona?

I'm using V-Ray and Corona Renderer in the projects alternately.

2023-06-09, 20:25:25
Reply #176

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
He didn't leave Corona, he left the Corona Denoiser for the AI ones :)

2023-06-10, 09:31:36
Reply #177

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I used Corona exclusively for like decade by now :- ) The moment I installed Corona I never touched Vray again.. or anything else.

2023-06-13, 09:56:16
Reply #178

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Good day guys, I think corona RC3 is having issues reding licenses for nodes in backburner and DR, have made test with 4 scenes, 3 simple and one complex, same result, also AMD threadripper performance has drop considerably, in some cases my 3090x is giving me bigger times than my 3970x and even more crazy, an i9 9900k gave me similar results as the 3090x, also test in RC2 and got same results, Also constant drops and DR but in backburner the RC2 was reading the licenses fine,  ill try to upload more info but Im in a deadline right now

2023-06-13, 12:17:25
Reply #179

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Good day guys, I think corona RC3 is having issues reding licenses for nodes in backburner and DR, have made test with 4 scenes, 3 simple and one complex, same result, also AMD threadripper performance has drop considerably, in some cases my 3090x is giving me bigger times than my 3970x and even more crazy, an i9 9900k gave me similar results as the 3090x, also test in RC2 and got same results, Also constant drops and DR but in backburner the RC2 was reading the licenses fine,  ill try to upload more info but Im in a deadline right now

That's pretty concerning. The team does have Threadripper guy (Neic), but he's on Cinema4D). There definitely should be more testing done on big platforms given their peculiarities. Every once in a while, either due to Corona, or Windows/Corona something the performance on big Threadrippers (32+, mostly the 64-core) dives to 50perc.

2023-06-13, 12:25:07
Reply #180

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

That's pretty concerning. The team does have Threadripper guy (Neic), but he's on Cinema4D). There definitely should be more testing done on big platforms given their peculiarities. Every once in a while, either due to Corona, or Windows/Corona something the performance on big Threadrippers (32+, mostly the 64-core) dives to 50perc.
Hi,

We do indeed test on these platforms. So far in our tests, we did not experience anything like this.
If possible @VASLAVO can you send over a scene and we can investigate?

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2023-06-13, 16:33:11
Reply #181

VASLAVO

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes Rowan, ill try later this evening or tomorrow morning to provide both scenes, today is impossible for me, thanks.

VK

2023-06-14, 01:47:08
Reply #182

somayrah

• Active Users
  • Less is more
    • View Profile
Hello,

All Daily builds RC1, RC2 and RC3 had slow and bad performance with Corona Layard mtl when used it with surface imperfections masks.

Thanks,

2023-06-14, 09:56:17
Reply #183

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hello,

All Daily builds RC1, RC2 and RC3 had slow and bad performance with Corona Layard mtl when used it with surface imperfections masks.

Thanks,

Could you please contact us about this here: https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
If you are able to share a sample scene, please do.
Thank you in advance.

2023-06-14, 18:45:59
Reply #184

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
When volume effect is enabled inside of CoronaSky, clouds are being cut with straight line. Is that considered as bug ? I dont think its a feature, looks very unnatural.

Coronaut!(c)2011

2023-06-14, 19:02:07
Reply #185

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
When volume effect is enabled inside of CoronaSky, clouds are being cut with straight line. Is that considered as bug ? I dont think its a feature, looks very unnatural.
Volume effect and clouds are currently not supported together.

We have it logged, but don't have any ETA on when it might be fixed.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=959673718)
Send me your scene!

2023-06-14, 20:37:56
Reply #186

michaltimko

• Active Users
  • Coronaut (c)
    • View Profile
Volume effect and clouds are currently not supported together.

We have it logged, but don't have any ETA on when it might be fixed.

Thanks,

Rowan

(Internal ID=959673718)

Thanks for letting me know. I do lot of exteriors lately with land mass visible at the distance so i use this feature A LOT. Hopefully it`ll be fixed soon. I`ll keep photoshopping for now.
Coronaut!(c)2011

2023-06-19, 03:34:54
Reply #187

las_Archviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i wish i knew about HQ denoiser that's its not great at all, guys thanks for the new updates and everything, but corona needs timing improvements.
i have always been using the HQ denoiser, today after reading some replies i tried the intel one, and man its much much better, even with 8% noise it looks like 3% with HQ denoiser.

i rendered like 200 Spherical 360 images, it took me exactly 1 month straight i mean 30 days of full 24h rendering with a 3950x, if i knew that it would save lots and lots of time and the result would be much better.
i was using HQ with 3% which was not great but i had to do it because of timing.

2023-06-19, 11:14:55
Reply #188

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I only learned it randomly myself :- ). The Intel Denoiser was improved as well, it was originally just like nVidia OPTIX Denoiser, smudging textures too much, and also slow since it wasn't real-time like nVidia.
It's still not real-time, but the quality is now really good, exactly good enough from like 8perc. noise! For me it saves massive amount of time for previews.

There is apparently a newer version that could be integrated, so hopefully Corona team focuses on that, I don't think there is any point at keeping the HQ Denoiser. HQ Filter and DOF Solver are nice but for future, denoising will pretty much be necessary for 99perc. of scenes.
I have powerful workstations, Threadripper and Xeons, and render-farm, and my renders still take many hours and need denoising. Because there is always more technical quality to be done, more polygons, more resolution textures, more complicated shaders, etc.. the performance is not really growing that fast enough. So Denoising is pretty much the only future for off-line rendering (it's pretty much always done for real-time rendering which couldn't exist without it).

Perfect Denoising is the future of ray-tracing. There.

2023-06-19, 12:21:12
Reply #189

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I don't think there is any point at keeping the HQ Denoiser.

While using Intel AI as default denoiser, there are still scenes/cases where HQ does a very good job in comparison. Especially using stills + lightmix with large exposure ranges. But yes, that may change in the future.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-06-19, 12:39:25
Reply #190

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
You're right, had not thought of that, but I avoid using LightMix as final image for that very reason.

2023-06-19, 15:25:33
Reply #191

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Build RC3

3ds Max freezes for a short time and then crashes to desktop at the attempt to edit Corona color correct map's curve. At the moment of crash IR was not running and the color correct was not even plugged into anything. The issue is repeatable.

The issue is being investigated by the team.
« Last Edit: 2023-06-19, 16:40:16 by romullus »

2023-06-19, 19:47:44
Reply #192

las_Archviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yeah the intel one is much better, i actually stopped using lightmix for final renders, i think it will add lots of time to process, and even after they added support for MTL lights in the light lister, I don't even use light mix anymore.

2023-06-19, 19:55:32
Reply #193

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am having a crash with RC 3 where I select a group of lights, hit 'make unique' and when it asks me 'make unique with respect to each other' it crashes every time when I click 'No.'  3ds Max 2024.1, RC3, Windows 10.  I'll try to see how small a scene it can be for sending and still crash, it's a fairly large scene and under NDA.  Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues in the meantime.

2023-06-19, 20:37:04
Reply #194

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I am having a crash with RC 3 where I select a group of lights, hit 'make unique' and when it asks me 'make unique with respect to each other' it crashes every time when I click 'No.'  3ds Max 2024.1, RC3, Windows 10.  I'll try to see how small a scene it can be for sending and still crash, it's a fairly large scene and under NDA.  Just curious if anyone else has had similar issues in the meantime.

I can confirm, Max crashes for me either. Same setup here.

2023-06-20, 18:36:11
Reply #195

Artisticpixel

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • artisticpixel
Whenever I try and use region more than once or try and change light settings or make a  light unique in RC3 while using Interactive render it crashes very frequently on every scene project I use- 3ds max always asks if I want to save the scene first unlike a complete crash with no warning. Dual Xeon PC 3ds max 2023

2023-06-21, 17:32:14
Reply #196

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Whenever I try and use region more than once or try and change light settings or make a  light unique in RC3 while using Interactive render it crashes very frequently on every scene project I use- 3ds max always asks if I want to save the scene first unlike a complete crash with no warning. Dual Xeon PC 3ds max 2023

Hi, I've sent a PM to you with some specific questions.

2023-06-25, 08:28:47
Reply #197

las_Archviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Guys hello, let me know if it's only me or its Corona, after the C10 release, my Rays/s total - Actual are very low after using a curtain in a window with sun and sky light passing through, with a very simple scene its 6 times lower, and much slower than ever before, I have been using the same curtain and same way of lighting for very heavy scenes and never this has happened. Please Let me know what's going on.

2023-06-25, 08:32:20
Reply #198

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another small crash:  using advanced wood OSL in max 2024 while switching 'axis' with IR running often results in a crash.  Been finding this map more and more useful and quickly toggling through the axis pretty much inevitably crashes IR.  Changing the wood tone sometimes crashes as well, but less frequently. 

I realize there may not be full support for this particular OSL map but FYI and let me know if you want some reports.  Thanks

2023-06-29, 07:15:25
Reply #199

shortcirkuit

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Devs

Latest Corona release (10) - when you adjust a forest pack object, for example if i disable a geometry within the forest pack options, then the interactive render doesnt work correctly, its as trhough its still trying to adjust (ie its all pixellated)

2023-06-29, 11:33:18
Reply #200

amitgedia1980

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,
Which is the latest Corona 10 build, the one from the chaos download page or from the archives on google drive (ie : RC3).

2023-06-29, 11:48:53
Reply #201

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
The final V10 from the Chaos download page is the latest release.

2023-06-29, 13:37:48
Reply #202

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Latest Corona release (10) - when you adjust a forest pack object, for example if i disable a geometry within the forest pack options, then the interactive render doesnt work correctly, its as trhough its still trying to adjust (ie its all pixellated)

Which Max version and FP version is it? Have no issues using Max 2023/24 and (still) FPP 7.4.x. Btw: since it's about the final v10, this should have better gone to the need help or bug reporting section.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2023-06-30, 17:44:43
Reply #203

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,
Which is the latest Corona 10 build, the one from the chaos download page or from the archives on google drive (ie : RC3).

This one: https://corona-renderer.com/download