Author Topic: roof tiles - pbr or railclone  (Read 1431 times)

2022-08-13, 00:05:13

davevc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just thought I would try and get peoples views on railclone versus a PBR material for creating roof tiles?

Railclone has some great presets but can be quite RAM heavy when it has created all the geometry. Especially frustrating when handling large scenes

I have always swayed away from using textures for roof tiles but with PBR improvements in recent years these are looking like a good option with the added benefit of lower poly models.

Are people using PBR textures with good success? Would be great to see some examples.

What resources are people using for PBR materials/textures?

thanks

2022-08-13, 10:16:22
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Hmm, i think what you really wanted to ask is how railclone compares to displacement and not to PBR. I think it depends, but IMO railclone is superior in many ways. I don't know how they compare in RAM usage, but displacement is not cheap in that regard and on large scale scenes it can take take all the RAM you have and more. Railclone is much more flexible when it comes to adjusting the look and randomization. On the other hand, displacement can be more flexible in adjusting quality vs performance ratio - when you see that your scene is struggling to render, you can quickly increase displacement pixel size and get better performance, where with railclone it's more like on/off situation.

In Corona 9 you will have pretty worthy built-in railclone alternative - CoronaPattern, while it's nowhere near as flexible as former tool, it will give you huge performance boost, as its RAM footprint can be ridiculously low. You can already try it by downloading the latest Corona daily build and see if it works for you better than railclone.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-08-26, 15:34:04
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
You can also consider using Scatter to distribute roof tiles on a surface or (as Romullus hinted) Corona Pattern available in V9 dailies (experimental!) - https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=36810.0
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us