Author Topic: Looking for a good Render Farm  (Read 3301 times)

2021-08-25, 18:20:41

thr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looking for suggestions from people with direct experience with render farms. Currently I use RebusFarm and although the integration is very nice, the reliability is abysmal to say the least. I know CoronaRender provides a list of renderfarms but I'm looking for a first hand recommendation to avoid testing each one individually. Thanks in advance.

2021-09-17, 17:44:07
Reply #1

Apostolis Christou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Bronxes Studio
Is it just me or RebusFarm doesn't support distributed rendering so you have to render on only 1 node? Which actually takes much time

2021-10-09, 21:26:19
Reply #2

sdhollman

• Users
    • View Profile
I have had a lot of success with garagefarm. They aren't as slick as Rebus, but the support is great and they do strip rendering for large images.
https://garagefarm.net/

2021-10-11, 09:37:53
Reply #3

balatschaka

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just finished a big scene animation couple of day ago...

I wanted to try GarageFarm for a change but ended using RebusFarm at the end because we didn't have too much time on our hands to play around.

What I liked about garagefarm is that you actually have some sort of a online file browser and apprently can even connect via ftp to update your files. I also liked that they massage you once a problem is detected.
They do support multi camera upload but you need to setup the list everytime again you upload. What really annoyed me is the upload proccess itself. Their upload tool uploads the whole scene for every camera (in my case 5gb x 14 Cameras). Thats just crazy.

RebusFarm on the other side was easier to use with test frames as it uploads the scene once and then uses your Batch Render list to split it into jobs/cameras. The upload itself often produces errors if your textures are stored in some funny folders. Even on the lowest priority the jobs start rendering almost instantly. The render nodes had a lot of errors but the support was very helpful and kept restarting the nodes to keep it going. My questions about why the nodes where crashing and if I can fix anything on my side where basically unanswered. Some cameras had to be rerendered(for free) as some nodes rendered the frames with missing railclone objects.

For future use I really want to try GarageFarm a little more, on a project wich is not due in three days.

2021-10-20, 12:58:55
Reply #4

3dboomerang

• Active Users
  • Head of 3D
    • View Profile
    • 3DFLOW
Garagefarm, hands down.

It's the direct opposite from Rebusfarm.

Garagefarm has the best IT-personel support you can find anywhere. They will carry you whilst having problems, it's insaine to which degree they will go to help you out. And I love them for it, and never went anywhere else, because of it.

Rebusfarm, I have a ton of renderpoints there saved from when Corona monthly licences came with 10 renderpoints. I simply dont use them because Rebusfarm is useless when you have for example anima running in your scene. There WILL be issues and you will end up losing more money. They're really shit in a can, sorry. Maybe if you have a scene with no issues for sure.

for example: Garagefarm has a need app for the comp that syncs into Max, and they have a chat window that is live constant. Simply told me to upload with a code you can put in the app and the renders get directed to the correct farm-computers with the correct plugins for you specificaly.

Minor point for Garagefarm is their plugin tends to freeze Max out once the upload is done, the max-window tries to refresh and reload the scene but that can take up to 45mins if the scene is heavy. There is def a delay in that so we basicly save before sending, and force-close once sent so we can move on with other max files.

Is nice.

2021-10-20, 18:47:51
Reply #5

thr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok thank you all for the feedback. I have started using GarageFarm and it is very good. I'm pleased so far. Between GarageFarm, RebusFarm, and local machines, my workflow seems to be better now.