Author Topic: V7 RC2 - "Added atmospheric shader"- where and what is it?  (Read 2102 times)

2021-07-04, 22:38:11

dacian

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Where is the new shader and what does it do?
I see a new shader called "Sky". Are they one and the same?
Some info on how these shaders work or what they're for would be very useful. Might be too soon to ask for this since they've just been implemented.
I find that in general I can't find the info I want on what various settings do. The small question marks in the panels don't link anywhere.

2021-07-05, 05:37:59
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As far as I understand it, you enable the shader by checking "Volume Effect" in the Sky object, then it creates an atmospheric haze effect.
The density you control with the scale parameter below the checkbox. There's also an Altitude setting that I don't fully understand yet (and neither why it's clipped at 1500 meters).

Hope this helps a bit at least.

Michael

2021-07-05, 09:42:34
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
As far as I understand it, you enable the shader by checking "Volume Effect" in the Sky object, then it creates an atmospheric haze effect.
The density you control with the scale parameter below the checkbox. There's also an Altitude setting that I don't fully understand yet (and neither why it's clipped at 1500 meters).

Hope this helps a bit at least.

Michael

The atmospheric haze effect is indeed the volume effect. I personally find it to be exceptional for exterior scenes, really makes a big difference. As Cinemike said the scale controls the density basically although do be ware that 1.0 is typically the most "real world" scale you'd want to use - you can however still change it to better control how the image looks like artistically.

Altitude on the other hand gives you do the ability to change the sky to look like it (and what lighting it emits) would at X meters of altitude. So the sky will look more blueish the higher up in the atmosphere you go (higher altitude) and the horizon line will be harder to distinguish. Really fun to use if you've are doing say a mountain cottage render :)

Hope this was helpful :)

edit: The altitude cap however appears to be a bug. Thanks for bringing it up!
« Last Edit: 2021-07-05, 14:22:10 by Nejc Kilar »
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2021-07-05, 15:50:40
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The altitude cap however appears to be a bug. Thanks for bringing it up!

Himalayas!

2021-07-06, 18:35:40
Reply #4

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
great, i waited for this feature to come to corona!

nice to see Nejc Kilar, that you are now part of the Corona team:)

do you know if the missing object bug is fixed in RC2?it was if materials have displacement, it is yet a show stopper for us and v7.

2021-07-26, 15:43:54
Reply #5

Beck

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I found that checking "Volume Effect" in the Sky object does not work properly if a backgroundimage is used as "direct visibility override"  (frontal mapping.)
There is a white border (ground haze) in front of the backgroundimage in the render.

2021-07-26, 17:05:50
Reply #6

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
I found that checking "Volume Effect" in the Sky object does not work properly if a backgroundimage is used as "direct visibility override"  (frontal mapping.)
There is a white border (ground haze) in front of the backgroundimage in the render.

Similarly to how you cannot use Volume effect when governing Corona Sky by a shader (e.g. HDRI), this will not work (or generate interesting, incorrect results) with visibility overrides other than when using corona sky shader. This is simply an incorrect workflow and should be avoided.
In order to generate a volumetric effect, use global volume override with a volume material.

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-07-26, 17:12:52
Reply #7

Beck

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, thank you for the quick answer. Using global volume now