Author Topic: Personal render farm that is not local  (Read 3046 times)

2021-03-07, 19:32:05

mantaskava

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

How would one setup a mini "render farm" so few people can access/use it while not being in the same (local) network? Anyone can direct me the right way?
Basically we're a team of few, everyone working from home. And we would like to have our own/shared render farm (even if it's only one pc).
Thank you.

2021-03-21, 10:43:20
Reply #1

mantaskava

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I thought I am asking a pretty simple/straightforward question, but now I'm thinking I might have been wrong.
Is it such a complex thing to setup so no one knows? or it's not even possible? or what?

2021-03-22, 14:29:07
Reply #2

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Well, it's not really a Corona question :) It's all about networking, and it may in general be better directed at MAXON (since the question is "how to set up Team Render for access from a remote network"). You could check into the Team Render documentation to see if it is already covered there, or contact their support for advice on how to set that up, or perhaps a user who has done it will be able to answer. From our support side, it's rather out of our scope though.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-03-22, 14:57:05
Reply #3

mantaskava

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I see. Well I thought I cannot be the first one that thought of this idea here in corona forums, someone should've done it already. And I still hope that someone shows up and directs me the right way:) If not, I'll try searching answers somewhere else.
Why MAXON though? I'm using Max, you meant Autodesk maybe?

2021-03-22, 15:17:44
Reply #4

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
I might be over-simplifying this a bit, so apologies if this isn't helpful and/or if I've completely misunderstood your query:

I've often thought about this. The way I would do it is to have a 'shared' PC which is connected (physically) to a network and set of PC's, ie your farm. So I guess the shared PC must be in the same space as the render farm.

This shared PC could be accessible though something simple like Chrome Remote Desktop, or maybe something more secure.

That way anyone can log onto the shared PC, send off their render file and have it automatically upload to something like Dropbox.
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-03-22, 15:22:30
Reply #5

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
Since nobody else has offered an answer, here's a vague idea...

In essence if you can setup your different 'work from home' machines as a remote network over the internet (e.g. using a VPN or other solution), then you could add another machine locally to one of your homes and that would become your networked render farm machine. If the network is setup right, it would work the same as locally and in theory would just need pointing at the right IP addresses, using Backburner / Deadline / other render manager.

For setting up the remote network, Google might be your best place to start!

2021-03-22, 15:23:43
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Oh, sorry, I thought this was a C4D question :) In that case it would be Backburner and Autodesk - to be honest though for something more advanced such as this, I'd suggest looking into third party software. Things like Deadline come to mind - but then it would be checking in with the specifications, capabilities of that software, and checking with their support on how it is set up.

2021-03-22, 15:26:09
Reply #7

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
(as noted, it does depend where the farm is - if all machines in the farm are on the same network, e.g. set up in the office, then remoting in to one master machine and kicking things off from that can be done, with just regular Backburner or third party software or even Corona DR. However, if all the machines making up the farm are also in different locations and not on the same local network, that's where things get unknown from our side :) )