Author Topic: Corona Renderer 7 for 3ds Max - Daily Builds Discussion  (Read 175861 times)

2021-06-28, 15:14:16
Reply #525

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is it normal that with FP and RC, the loading times of the geometry take such a long time ? (seemed faster in vray) (No animated objects or proxys)

and actually what is quiete slow as well is when you have an animated camera (but static objects), and you try to go from one frame to the other
« Last Edit: 2021-06-28, 15:29:29 by muoto »

2021-06-28, 15:18:13
Reply #526

dj_buckley

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Doesn't look like the 2.5D Displacement issues have been entirely fixed.  Using RC3 - see attached

You can clearly see the artifacts in the render and the corresponding mesh in the viewport that has a denser mesh where the artifacts are occuring.

This is disappointing as there is currently no alternative and what I was dreading the most.

The displacement is only subtle and it's on a flat plane, so not even curved geometry this time.

This really really needs to be fixed before you release the final version without the old displacement.

I´m suffering these very same artifacts on a couple of facades in the same scene where I rendered my Atmospheric persp Magenta tint issues. I tried to increase screen size a lot for this object, but it didin´t work. I tried to subdivide my poly object with several subdivide methods, but it just made the issue a bit more subtle. The problem I find is that it is not easy to subdivide an object that comes from external sources with very nasty topology (as this client´s Rhino file). So I end up with uneven distributed triangles density and shape, and Corona 2.5 Displacement strugles with it.

We love using Corona, it is our only engine for production, but sadly, we always complain about Displacement quality internally while we work. Maybe this is just subjective but we feel that Displacement has always been a weak point of this nice software when compared to other engines. I´d love to have an alternative method to avoid using this Displacement method, maybe something like vRay´s 2d displ. or FStorm´s parallax bump (not sure if they would help, but I´d really like to give them a try).

Later I will try to find a gap to post a crop render example of the real production shot, so you can see how visible these artifacts are on my facades.
Thanks

Or Coronas original displacement that pretty much had zero issues except RAM consumption ... but it worked.  Come on guys, you said this was fixed, what scenes are you testing it on?
Hi,

Please can you provide the scene in question and we'll look into it.

Thanks,

Rowan

It's uploading now called "RC3 Displace" - it's the full archived scene but it's confidential so please don't share any visuals in public

2021-06-28, 15:48:34
Reply #527

JulioCayetano

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Finally I had the time to render some crops and take some screenshots of the production scene I was talking about when commenting about Displacement Artifacts.

Here I´m attaching screenshots of the Facade geometry in 3 versions: the Original Geometry coming from Rhino, that same object with a Subdivide Modifier (Delaunay mode) applied, and a new object Re-Exported from Rhino with higher tessellation. Then you can check the crop render of that facade for each version, in 2 different Displacment qualities (ScreenSize=1.2 and ScreenSize=0.5) to check if quality affects this issue.
To my surprise, I was wrong, and with subdivision, the artifacts are getting more noticeable, instead of less. And, as you may see, the re-exported version of the facade, has more Displacement artifacts than the original geometry. Another weird thing is that, in the higher Displacement quality versions, artifacts are more noticeable (not sure if this is related to some kind Moire effect?).
Now I´m a bit lost here, if anyone can give some tips in how to improve the geometry, or what things to avoid, to make these kind of artifacts less noticeable, that would be welcome.  How do you deal with these kind of surfaces in your proyects?
Thanks in advance

2021-06-28, 15:55:08
Reply #528

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Corona for 3ds Max QA Team
    • View Profile
It's uploading now called "RC3 Displace" - it's the full archived scene but it's confidential so please don't share any visuals in public
Thank you for sending it through! We will use it for internal testing purposes only.

Cheers,

Rowan
Please read this before reporting bugs: How to report issues to us!
Send me your scene!

2021-06-28, 16:59:54
Reply #529

aaouviz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Another Angle 3D
Finally I had the time to render some crops and take some screenshots of the production scene I was talking about when commenting about Displacement Artifacts.

Here I´m attaching screenshots of the Facade geometry in 3 versions: the Original Geometry coming from Rhino, that same object with a Subdivide Modifier (Delaunay mode) applied, and a new object Re-Exported from Rhino with higher tessellation. Then you can check the crop render of that facade for each version, in 2 different Displacment qualities (ScreenSize=1.2 and ScreenSize=0.5) to check if quality affects this issue.
To my surprise, I was wrong, and with subdivision, the artifacts are getting more noticeable, instead of less. And, as you may see, the re-exported version of the facade, has more Displacement artifacts than the original geometry. Another weird thing is that, in the higher Displacement quality versions, artifacts are more noticeable (not sure if this is related to some kind Moire effect?).
Now I´m a bit lost here, if anyone can give some tips in how to improve the geometry, or what things to avoid, to make these kind of artifacts less noticeable, that would be welcome.  How do you deal with these kind of surfaces in your proyects?
Thanks in advance

Honestly; in this circumstance I would definitely not be using displacement, and just modelling the geometry. With floor generator it won't take you long...
Nicolas Pratt
Another Angle 3D
https://www.instagram.com/anotherangle3d/

2021-06-28, 17:17:42
Reply #530

JulioCayetano

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks in advance

Honestly; in this circumstance I would definitely not be using displacement, and just modelling the geometry. With floor generator it won't take you long...

I agree that´s the only way that this facade would look perfectly clean, I really like modelling or re-modelling everything with correct topology and UVWs when possible. The issue in this kind of projects is that big and/or complex facades are coming from the architects several times during the process. The design of the facade is not really closed when we are working on the visualization. Let´s say that we receive the facdes once per week or every two weeks... this is the case when I discard re-modelling the facades from scratch or trying to add this kind of relief with floor generator, Railclone or whatever. In this kind of projects we really need some kind of straight Export/import process that is as automatic and quick as possible.
In any case, thanks a lot for your suggestion.

2021-06-29, 14:31:15
Reply #531

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Could you provide this scene?

Instructions on how to send ti us can be found in my signature.

Cheers,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-06-29, 14:33:05
Reply #532

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi,

When you were testing this with a lower screen size what values did you test it with?

I tested a few different values and with around 0.3 the artidcats appear to be gone. Could you try this and let me know what you think?

I have this logged and I will send it on to our dev team to see if something can be done.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-06-29, 16:40:55
Reply #533

JulioCayetano

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Thanks in advance

Hi,

Could you provide this scene?

Instructions on how to send ti us can be found in my signature.

Cheers,

Rowan

As I commented when talking about the Atmospheric perspective effect Magenta Tint, I cannot share the scene, due to NDA restrictions, sorry. On top it is super heavy and complex, not a good one for testing these issues. When I find a gap I will try to reduce it to the minimum and at the same time avoid NDA restrictions by taking only a small part of their design.

2021-06-29, 20:46:57
Reply #534

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Could it be that using intel denoiser on large size images (3500x5500 more or less) crashes 3dsmax (had 3-4 crashes on rc3 today) after a DR rendering ?
« Last Edit: 2021-06-29, 20:53:57 by muoto »

2021-06-29, 21:43:24
Reply #535

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Could it be that using intel denoiser on large size images (3500x5500 more or less) crashes 3dsmax (had 3-4 crashes on rc3 today) after a DR rendering ?
Hi,

These should be fixed in RC4, released today. Please try and let me know if you still have issues.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!

2021-06-30, 00:36:59
Reply #536

cjwidd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Is the entire Corona Material Library being updated to CoronaPhysicalMtl for the next release?

2021-06-30, 09:07:49
Reply #537

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

These should be fixed in RC4, released today. Please try and let me know if you still have issues.

Thanks,

Rowan

Ok seems so work now, i will let you know if there are any other crashes

2021-06-30, 09:30:16
Reply #538

muoto

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Question : while IR is super fast (once all the geometry is loaded), and rotation the viewport is very responsive, when you want to change the camera (while IR is running), the update of the IR is super slow.... Normal?

2021-06-30, 11:29:23
Reply #539

rowmanns

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

We have done some investigation into this, unfortunately in this case it does seem that the 2.5d displacement struggles. However a workaround to this issue would be to use the subdivide modifier on the geometry to get more uniform triangles.

I have tried it on your scene and it does now render without any artifacts. I know this is not an ideal solution and we will continue looking into it.

Please let me know how this works for you.

Thanks,

Rowan
Send me your scene!